2019/20 VC Owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
Another year of owning a Vermont castings stove? Welcome to the thread about everything vc.

Last season's thread is here

Last edited:
Almost had a fire in the VC last night. The house was around 68. I believe I will have one tomorrow, the tens are to drop significantly. At least I can say, “no fires in Sept this year”.

Does my encore 2550 need to be “seasoned” the first burn every year? Someone I spoke to was under that impression. Or is that only when it’s brand spankn new.

Cleaning out my chimney this week. Can’t wait burn season is almost here!

Does my encore 2550 need to be “seasoned” the first burn every year? Someone I spoke to was under that impression. Or is that only when it’s brand spankn new.

Cleaning out my chimney this week. Can’t wait burn season is almost here!
Nope
Just clean the pipes, inspect the cat, vacuum in behind the fireback and you good to go

Reactions: frased
First break-in fire started. No thermometer yet so just playing it safe. So far so good - strong draft as expected, even tho its 60 degrees out, just couldn’t wait! Immediate dirty windows... that didnt take long.

Attachments

• F139E791-98CF-494F-AAB0-5414A8365E14.jpeg
    F139E791-98CF-494F-AAB0-5414A8365E14.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 361
First break-in fire started. No thermometer yet so just playing it safe. So far so good - strong draft as expected, even tho its 60 degrees out, just couldn’t wait! Immediate dirty windows... that didnt take long.
Is this a cat stove?
Interesting, VC removed the window ribs or whatever you call it.

If your glass got dirty right at start, i suspect not so seasoned wood.

Is this a cat stove?
Interesting, VC removed the window ribs or whatever you call it.

If your glass got dirty right at start, i suspect not so seasoned wood.
Yes - cat stove.

Interestingly the wood is 2 year seasoned. I dont have a meter but sounds very very dry. Has been covered (completely dry) the whole time. I did use fat wood fire starters... dont know if that could be the culprit?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yes - cat stove.

Interestingly the wood is 2 year seasoned. I dont have a meter but sounds very very dry. Has been covered (completely dry) the whole time. I did use fat wood fire starters... dont know if that could be the culprit?
Go shopping. You need a flue thermometer, cat thermometer and moisture meter! With that particular stove you cannot run it blind, you will quickly damage the fragile and expensive inner parts.
Very nice set up btw

I agree with the above... you need all that. You may think the wood is dry but maybe not as much as it should be. The MMis like 20 bucks on Amazon.. and its well worth it.. look into the Auber at100 for your cat prob.. i had somthing else and it sucked.. get the at100 and youll know right away when you cat lights off instead of 15 minutes with the bimetal prob the stove comes with.. good luck... and may the force be with you..always..

Go shopping. You need a flue thermometer, cat thermometer and moisture meter! With that particular stove you cannot run it blind, you will quickly damage the fragile and expensive inner parts.
Very nice set up btw
Absolutely. Any recommendations? Only picked out a stove top thermo so far.

Still waiting for my first break in fire on my new Intrepid. Was 92 today so not happening anytime soon. Maybe first week November the way it's going.

Still waiting for my first break in fire on my new Intrepid. Was 92 today so not happening anytime soon. Maybe first week November the way it's going.
I am sending you some brisk air from Canada! And believe you me......it is coming!

Reactions: frased and moresnow
Absolutely. Any recommendations? Only picked out a stove top thermo so far.
The most important is the Auber 100 cat meter. That will allow you to see what goes on in the cat chamber.

Looks like cool nighttime temps will be in New England by Friday night.

Just picked up an Auber AT100. Of course, I have no idea what temp probe (k thermocouple?) to buy or where to put it (existing analog temp sensor?). Is existing thermo supposed to be behind the shieding on the back of the Encore? Cant see anything obvious as is.

Thanks for the continued handholding guys. My wife is happy I’m asking ‘the pro’s’!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Just picked up an Auber AT100. Of course, I have no idea what temp probe (k thermocouple?) to buy or where to put it (existing analog temp sensor?). Is existing thermo supposed to be behind the shieding on the back of the Encore? Cant see anything obvious as is.

Thanks for the continued handholding guys. My wife is happy I’m asking ‘the pro’s’!
Your stove should have come with an analog cat probe that needs to or placed in a little (capped) hole at the back of the stove. Is there a back heat shield on the stove?

I believe there is a heat shield on the back. I’ll check tonight to see if the temp probe was installed. Owners manual should help too. Is that temp probe usable with the at100?

I believe there is a heat shield on the back. I’ll check tonight to see if the temp probe was installed. Owners manual should help too. Is that temp probe usable with the at100?
The probe that came with it is not compatible with the at100, but the WRNK-191 probe will work perfectly with the at100.

I have a link in my signature to a flow chart i created to what i have found works with my encore.

Reactions: begreen and Diabel
Thanks Dobish - I have the 191 thermocouple now included in my order. Believe it or not, the flowchart has already been printed and inside the drawer of my coffee table. I'll post back with my experiences during the install.

Thanks Dobish - I have the 191 thermocouple now included in my order. Believe it or not, the flowchart has already been printed and inside the drawer of my coffee table. I'll post back with my experiences during the install.
Mine sits on the coffee table... [emoji851]

New location for it...

Attachments

• Dobish.jpg
    Dobish.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: Dobish
Status
Not open for further replies.