2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information did not want to buy the whole assembly but if I have to I will. Thanks for the help.

This is what I used to do with my Princess. When you have a pile of coals raked forward you can even out the load if you stack a few splits E/W in the back then pack it full N/S on top of that. I think it may give you a little longer burn with those E/W splits tucked back in there.
I do the same as you and @Poindexter.

I usually also cross-stack when I do a top down cold start. With my low draft it helps get the load going faster.

Reactions: MissMac
Round 3 on my connector pipe leak, and this time it’s fixed for good
Round 1 was laying the adapter onto the flue collar, making it “snug” but that cut off the air holes for the dvl.
Round 2 was raise the adapter up 2” to the holes on the flue collar, zip some screws in, which worked and allowed air into the holes at the base of the dvl, but I continued to have and noticeable or auditable air leak when running the stove on high, due to the flue collar being 6” and the inner adapter piece being 5 & 5/8” with screwing the inner piece I couldn’t get the seal needed.
Round 3 was the fix, picked up a 24g 6” single wall male to male, the male end slid perfectly and snugly into the flue collar, had to trim approx 1/2” off the end so that it wasn’t going past the flue collar opening into the cat chamber. The inner dvl piece slid perfectly into the other male end.
Loaded the stove up with smaller splits and a let a fire rip, lots of heavy flames, T stat wide open, no air noises what so ever, very, very happy.

EFE0B32C-2537-402D-BCD6-38E961698398.jpeg 58CB50AB-E959-44F3-A94D-4D86F52A581A.jpeg

Round 3 on my connector pipe leak, and this time it’s fixed for good
Round 1 was laying the adapter onto the flue collar, making it “snug” but that cut off the air holes for the dvl.
Round 2 was raise the adapter up 2” to the holes on the flue collar, zip some screws in, which worked and allowed air into the holes at the base of the dvl, but I continued to have and noticeable or auditable air leak when running the stove on high, due to the flue collar being 6” and the inner adapter piece being 5 & 5/8” with screwing the inner piece I couldn’t get the seal needed.
Round 3 was the fix, picked up a 24g 6” single wall male to male, the male end slid perfectly and snugly into the flue collar, had to trim approx 1/2” off the end so that it wasn’t going past the flue collar opening into the cat chamber. The inner dvl piece slid perfectly into the other male end.
Loaded the stove up with smaller splits and a let a fire rip, lots of heavy flames, T stat wide open, no air noises what so ever, very, very happy.

View attachment 284302 View attachment 284303

So did you screw the bottom of the appliance adapter into the top of the male/male single wall? I couldn't see the screws. I think member @webby3650 has suggested a similar solution but with a more attractive chunk of single wall at the stove end.

All that aside. I still do not get why the stove top thermometer…..is that a permanent fixture?

So did you screw the bottom of the appliance adapter into the top of the male/male single wall? I couldn't see the screws. I think member @webby3650 has suggested a similar solution but with a more attractive chunk of single wall at the stove end.
No screws yet, it was a very tight fit to begin with and I was testing it out first (wanted to have that oh crap let me swap it back fast to its original setup time) I will be screwing it now that I know it works.

All that aside. I still do not get why the stove top thermometer…..is that a permanent fixture?
Just for show, it was on the old stove and traveled over, it doesnt do anything other then put scratches into the stove paint, but I digress.

Reactions: Diabel and Highbeam
Hello friends, I’ve just ordered a BK Ashford Insert in black. I’ve been burning wood for a long time in other units. So, I know the basics; dry wood, full load cycles, clean chimney, etc.

I also know that each stove has its own little idiosyncrasies. What are some stove specific tips, tricks, hints, hacks and advice for the BK Ashford 25? I’m super excited to get this new insert and I’m really looking forward to hearing from you.

Questions I have:
What are realistic burn times on low, medium and high?
Burn times are going to vary with the wood, draft strength, house heat loss, etc. A range of 24 on low to 8 when being pushed for heat is probably realistic.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Amy idea how to get the door clean? It's almost blacked out.

Did the wet newspaper and ash trick. No dice.

Ran it on high for 2 hours with a small stack and never cleared. Should I clean it hot?

Scrape it off with a razor?

Using 18 month old ash wood kept under a pole building lean to. Split the largest splits, all read around 12-14% moisture.

20211029_232516.jpg 20211029_232535.jpg 20200630_185454.jpg

Reactions: Nealm66
Burn times are going to vary with the wood, draft strength, house heat loss, etc. A range of 24 on low to 8 when being pushed for heat is probably realistic.
Not sure if 24h is realistic on the 25 box. Just from reading stuff here.

Reactions: Highbeam

Ran it on high for 2 hours with a small stack and never cleared. Should I clean it hot?

Using 18 month old ash wood kept under a pole building lean to. Split the largest splits, all read around 12-14% moisture.

View attachment 284350 View attachment 284351 View attachment 284352
It’s the nature of the beast when run at lower settings which is my favorite setting.

This isn’t soot, it’s creosote and will accumulate to a thick crust that is best removed with a blade. Be careful not to scratch the glass or yourself.

Usually, during the winter, the middle of the glass stays relatively clean but those bottom corners are affectionately known as the dragon eyes in our house. I clean it off maybe once or twice per 9 month heating season.

Reactions: Alpine1

View attachment 284350 View attachment 284351 View attachment 284352

When I run high to clean the glass, I do it with a full firebox, not a small fill. For me that works, also in the corners.

Looks like a nice supply of wood!
I really lucked out. Guy that does lawn care for a estate took on that project. Whole fence row of ash trees that got taken out by the ash borer. He filled up 12 loads on my 7x16 tandem axle trailer and didn't want any cash except 20 bucks a trailer for gas for his skid steer (so I didn't have to load them there).

Honestly probably had 10 more trailer loads but my back gave out on me, and I told him I wasn't that greedy and he didn't need to hold it.

Now I figure if I get 2 trailer loads of free wood a year on Facebook marketplace I should be good to keep it stockpiled (already found 3 this season).

Reactions: Nealm66
I really lucked out. Guy that does lawn care for a estate took on that project. Whole fence row of ash trees that got taken out by the ash borer. He filled up 12 loads on my 7x16 tandem axle trailer and didn't want any cash except 20 bucks a trailer for gas for his skid steer (so I didn't have to load them there).

Honestly probably had 10 more trailer loads but my back gave out on me, and I told him I wasn't that greedy and he didn't need to hold it.

Now I figure if I get 2 trailer loads of free wood a year on Facebook marketplace I should be good to keep it stockpiled (already found 3 this season).
How many seasons have you had the stove? My glass cleans up pretty good when I run it on the hotter side when it gets cold. It blackens right back up when I run it on a lower setting but it’s worth it to me to keep the house from over heating and longer between reloading

Lest fingers are pointed, this was noted by several mods. The bounds were stretched or overreached several times. It's not fun for a new person seeking information to get bombed with comments like my stove is the best, no contest. There is no such thing and it is not helpful.

True, begreen. But if you review the record, you’ll find two incidents in my last week here, where a new user presented a question about BK stoves in particular, and I was harassed for simply responding.

Have fun, guys. I think I’ll be spending my time elsewhere.

Hello friends, I’ve just ordered a BK Ashford Insert in black. I’ve been burning wood for a long time in other units. So, I know the basics; dry wood, full load cycles, clean chimney, etc.

I also know that each stove has its own little idiosyncrasies. What are some stove specific tips, tricks, hints, hacks and advice for the BK Ashford 25? I’m super excited to get this new insert and I’m really looking forward to hearing from you.

Questions I have:
What are realistic burn times on low, medium and high?

What size splits work best for you (length and diameter of split size)?

What is your preferred wood loading procedure (NS, EW, cribbed, etc)?

Any other hints, tricks, hacks or processes that work for you?

I don't actually own one of those, but I have left drool spots on a Boxer 24 (same innards) at my local BK showroom.

On hot reloads I would first try scooching the live coals to the front right, then load the full depth middle section NS so you can see end grain, and then maybe put a fair sized split cut to 8" length - vertically- in the remaining open area at the left front.

It may not be worth the trouble. If you got a bunch of live coals it might make more sense to bring the coals to both front corners and then load N-S in the middle. I got nothing on burn times, too many variables. Good luck.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I don't actually own one of those, but I have left drool spots on a Boxer 24 (same innards) at my local BK showroom.

On hot reloads I would first try scooching the live coals to the front right, then load the full depth middle section NS so you can see end grain, and then maybe put a fair sized split cut to 8" length - vertically- in the remaining open area at the left front.

It may not be worth the trouble. If you got a bunch of live coals it might make more sense to bring the coals to both front corners and then load N-S in the middle. I got nothing on burn times, too many variables. Good luck.
Thank you! I will consider this advice.

Thanks! I know this is not an exact science, but I’d love to hear some real world experiences of Ashford 25 owners.

How many seasons have you had the stove? My glass cleans up pretty good when I run it on the hotter side when it gets cold. It blackens right back up when I run it on a lower setting but it’s worth it to me to keep the house from over heating and longer between reloading

First season.

Last 3 years in the new house was an old fisher insert without glass doors.

Not sure if I do this differently than anyone else, but I noticed that the Boxer has a storage space for wood below the firebox. I never store wood inside, there's always lots of critters in firewood (insects, mostly), and when you bring the wood inside and let it warm up, they can get very active...

Not sure if I do this differently than anyone else, but I noticed that the Boxer has a storage space for wood below the firebox. I never store wood inside, there's always lots of critters in firewood (insects, mostly), and when you bring the wood inside and let it warm up, they can get very active...

Tht may be a climate thing; here the occasional spider, but nothing else. I repurposed an old 4-square black ikea storage unit (kallax?) - until it falls apart, that is. Fits about one full load per square. I have no trouble with bugs.

Zero bug/critter issue with my indoor wood storage . Most/all of my wood is bark free when I bring it in which makes a considerable difference in bugginess;lol

Reactions: Tron
Status
Not open for further replies.