2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. I don't have a gauge inside the stack. I can tell by simple touch that the outside wall of the stack is only warm to the touch not hot.
At 400* you will not be able to touch the ddl pipe for more than 2sec

Reactions: clancey
Something is odd here

Uh, that depends a lot on the thickness of one’s skin. Also “warm” is pretty subjective and when compared to the 1600 degree cat just below the stove top, most things are much cooler.

I've run my Ashford often with full loads of ironwood and hickory also
on high setting, flue temps around 700 internal temp. and the handle
still looks new, haven't had the chance to get the king that hot yet

Definitely one of the more subjective tests, but I can touch the pipe for longer than 2 seconds. The handle on the other sometimes less than a second when she's piping.

Last edited:
I finally got a solid thermocouple setup for my Princess. Using a K type thermocouple hooked to a PID controller that my dad got me from his work. The thermocouple has a working temp of up to 2000* and is used for aviation EGTs and has a sealed tip. I was easily able to start a 1/8npt tap in the factory cat temp hole to thread it. I ordered the thermocouple with a 1/8npt compression fitting to set its depth.

From what I've seen, the analog thermometers (stock and the numbered condor) are pretty inflated. While charring a fresh load the TC sees 1100-1300* and when turned down and letting the Stat do its thing, it's usually between 750-1150*. 12 hours into a burn when everything is black dried out charcoal, it hangs between 550-750* depending on the Stat. This is with a fairly fresh ceramic cat from midwest (75-100 hours on it).

Overall, it satisfies my OCD to see digital #s from across the room rather than a lagging analog thermometer.

20211223_150717.jpg

Last edited:
I've run my Ashford often with full loads of ironwood and hickory also
on high setting, flue temps around 700 internal temp. and the handle
still looks new, haven't had the chance to get the king that hot yet
Your handle is different, on a different firebox with some jacketing. Tough to compare the two...

2021-2022 BK everything thread

Winter is here, on 8hr reloads. Whole house stays 72-74*f (very well insulated 1350sqft). Kinda wish I had a king now, in fall I could not keep a fire going all day and had to relight every night so I guess I am balanced right. I never run wide open except for a few minutes at reload, find the Princess loves 1/3-2-3 of WOT(most efficient). I had lubed my dial shaft and it turns nice now, I can turn the dial down and hear exactly when the flap closes. This seems to be where the thermostat is most sensitive to the house temp. If the house is a touch warm turn the dial till you here the flap and leave it there( temp will drop a degree and then the thermostat start to open up and maintain). If house is perfect temp (I shoot for 73*f ), turn down dial till you hear flap close and tweak it back up just a tiny little bit.

Can you explain what you mean by 1/3-2-3 of WOT?

Mega load this morning! 78lbs, 3 layers of 5 year old tamarack loaded! Yes, that's 1 big piece of cherry in top center....You cant see bottom row, stove 9" deep.

20211230_070847.jpg

Mega load this morning! 78lbs, 3 layers of 5 year old tamarack loaded! Yes, that's 1 big piece of cherry in top center....You cant see bottom row, stove 9" deep.

View attachment 288780

You need to also split a bit smaller to fill up all those un-allowed airgaps I'm seeing... ;-)

Reactions: BKVP
Can you explain what you mean by 1/3-2-3 of WOT?
Wide open throttle 6 o’clock. Your fully closed flap vs dial position will vary with your stove and house temp but the way I look at it is how far open the flap is tells how hard you are running the stove. For me WOT is pretty frantic in the fire box and I believe the cat does not have enough time to fully work its magic. The high setting I like for max heat is nice slow rolling flames, the coals glowing giving off lots of radiation with the cat chewing on the rest and running at or close to the top of the active range.

Reactions: Nealm66
Wide open throttle 6 o’clock. Your fully closed flap vs dial position will vary with your stove and house temp but the way I look at it is how far open the flap is tells how hard you are running the stove. For me WOT is pretty frantic in the fire box and I believe the cat does not have enough time to fully work its magic. The high setting I like for max heat is nice slow rolling flames, the coals glowing giving off lots of radiation with the cat chewing on the rest and running at or close to the top of the active range.

Thanks. I agree with the "enough time" remark.

Reactions: Highbeam
Mega load this morning
We have cold weather coming in Sunday night, I will take your challenge, clean the ash out and load to the gills with some select oak & ash. For now, its just 4 splits and rip for 12hrs, 38deg f outside

Reactions: BKVP
I have noticed a marked difference in heat from the stove with the same cat probe position. Lots of coals under a fresh load with cat probe pegged the stove is dumping heat. Stove black boxed or just above (odd secondary flame), probe is also pegged but much less overall heat from the stove. Stove with lots of glowing coals, cat probe can be only 1/3 into active but lots of heat from the stove. It would be neat to know the btu range on the cat alone.

I have noticed a marked difference in heat from the stove with the same cat probe position. Lots of coals under a fresh load with cat probe pegged the stove is dumping heat. Stove black boxed or just above (odd secondary flame), probe is also pegged but much less overall heat from the stove. Stove with lots of glowing coals, cat probe can be only 1/3 into active but lots of heat from the stove. It would be neat to know the btu range on the cat alone.
I would suspect thats the low end of the rating so 18k to 25k per hour

We have cold weather coming in Sunday night, I will take your challenge, clean the ash out and load to the gills with some select oak & ash. For now, its just 4 splits and rip for 12hrs, 38deg f outside
We'll be 5 above tomorrow....warmer in Kodiak!

I’ve been burning press logs during the day and fir at night. Couldn’t find the Idaho logs close by, everyone was sold out. Burning these ones from tractor supply. They’re ok and cheaper but definitely not as good as the Idaho logs. Let’s me burn a little hotter, longer than the fir. Opened it up last weekend and just kept feeding a couple pieces of fir, keeping it at a nice hot output but not scary. My handle got kinda hot but don’t see any discoloring. So nice to have the control, run it hot or low and slow

Reactions: Highbeam and BKVP
They revised it to 3F tomorrow. Better stock up for next 4 days!
Your son having any epic new years eve parties at your house this year?

Last edited:
Your son having any epic house new years eve parties at your house this year?
That son moved! Sold his house 3 miles away, moved to Walla Walla WA. Made a killing on his house I remodeled and put down 75%, in cash, on new house.

No more taking my wood! Just taking my halibut and elk! Shot monster bull this year but can't post picture here.

Status
Not open for further replies.