2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presto logs @ 14 hours after I cranked it up on high for a bit

5693AA64-2962-402F-AA62-62FDC3CE4C60.jpeg

As many as I can fit. I think these are called home fire logs? About 1$ a piece. I was able to get 3 pieces of fir and a couple more of those things on last night about 9 and turned it down the the flapper setting. This am there’s still some of those things left so basically 24hours with about 2.5 hours on high. Fir was completely burned away. Cranked it up again about 530 and will add fir while I have the day off to feed it. Keeping the house toasty and got down to 19f last night. Wish I could have found the Idaho logs, they seem to do the best but cost a bit more. Happy new year !

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpine1
In the cold at least the sap will be less sticky? But use safety line if you go up...

I’m going to see if they can wait a day or 2 and let some snow melt lol. Maybe get a few more pics so I can at least have an idea what to bring. Might be elderly and not able to get better pics so I’m going to have my buddy get over there so I can have something more to go by. Pretty good size fir in that neighborhood. I probably won’t have time for pics but I’ll try if I have to do anything crafty

Anyone know the differences of the princess pe1006/pej1006 vs the 30.2? I’m curious.

Anyone know the differences of the princess pe1006/pej1006 vs the 30.2? I’m curious.
I believe they were just emissions recertifications that spawned a new model # (could be wrong). Although the newer ones have the ash lip under the door flipped up (the right way). Wish I could cut mine out and flip it around.

I believe they were just emissions recertifications that spawned a new model # (could be wrong). Although the newer ones have the ash lip under the door flipped up (the right way). Wish I could cut mine out and flip it around.
Thought the same thing. Probably would be breaking some law ha!

Are you asking the differences between the 30.2 and the princess? There are several differences besides aesthetics. The biggest one is the 6" deep belly on the princess.

Are you asking the differences between the 30.2 and the princess? There are several differences besides aesthetics. The biggest one is the 6" deep belly on the princess.
Correction. The older princess pe1006 vs the princess 32.

Reactions: Highbeam
Correction. The older princess pe1006 vs the princess 32.
I’d get the 32. Tested very very well for low emissions and high efficiency. Supposedly the same cat as always so cheap cats. The flue collar is taller which should help with the weld blob interference.

I’d get the 32. Tested very very well for low emissions and high efficiency. Supposedly the same cat as always so cheap cats. The flue collar is taller which should help with the weld blob interference.
Any idea what the operating differences are besides the flue collar?

Gotcha. I have a 1006 princess currently just inquiring about any major revisions or upgrades.

Any idea what the operating differences are besides the flue collar?
The base is not welded on like with my ultra. You can choose the base. The convection deck is now built in and standard. Taller collar, better emissions specs, properly upturned ash lip. That’s all I have been able to figure out so far.

Oh and the replacement bypass gasket retainers are now one piece instead of multiple pieces per BK but still welded in.

The emissions rating dropped from like 2.5 gph to 0.4! That’s huge but I don’t know if that reflects luck, new test methods, or stove improvements.

Bottom line, nothing looks to have gotten worse with the new version and quite possibly things are better so no need to search for the old version or to feel like you missed out.

Gotcha. I have a 1006 princess currently just inquiring about any major revisions or upgrades.
Only thing you could upgrade is the new style door latch if yours is like mine with the welded interior nut and round latch.

How high should the cat gauge read during normal operation. Tstat set in mid range, been burning over an hour. It is out of the white near the bottom of the gauge. And any advice on running the princess? Thanks

20220102_091937.jpg

Brand new cats are overactive, as long as your firebox doesnt have crazy flames (maybe it has no flames atm) the cat will eventually settle down after a few weeks of burning.

Ok thanks. This only the 3rd burn in this stove. I'm transitioning from an Eglander Madison. The Princess door glass is mostly black, even tho I'm burning above mid been on the Tstat. I'm assuming that is just the nature of the beast.

Ok thanks. This only the 3rd burn in this stove. I'm transitioning from an Eglander Madison. The Princess door glass is mostly black, even tho I'm burning above mid been on the Tstat. I'm assuming that is just the nature of the beast.
Yes, things will settle with time, just adjust your t-stat for your desired heat output and let the stove do the work, once the cat settles some you will find the needle hanging around 1 - 3 o'clock, on high char burns it will be around 4 o'clock.
Best thing I did for my princess was to install the blower kit and convection deck, made the stove a great heater, even on low output with the fan running as low as possible.

Where is the thermometer needle pointing when stove is cold? These thermometers are not very accurate and or it maybe mis calibrated.

5 minutes later

20220102_104432.jpg

Reactions: Nealm66
Status
Not open for further replies.