2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
plenty of dry 3-5 year old wood.View attachment 288804
That is a nice collection of firewood right there. Curious - when you're putting those large half-rounds into the stove, how long are you running them on high before dialing down?

Sounds like some great eating and lots of fun. Got a nice bull too this fall, just lake trout and walleye in the freezer for fish. Halibut is like deer hunting, one fish goes a long way

That is a nice collection of firewood right there. Curious - when you're putting those large half-rounds into the stove, how long are you running them on high before dialing down?
About 15 minutes. This wood is very dry. Using a Delmhorst J2000, set for fir, the fresh split is always under 15%. I like keeping about 12 cords under cover. I can use 3 for myself and help out others if they run out.

Reactions: MissMac
They revised it to 3F tomorrow. Better stock up for next 4 days!
Kind of wish we where having that weather here, 41 today and tomorrow,
still waiting for snowmobile weather.

Kind of wish we where having that weather here, 41 today and tomorrow,
still waiting for snowmobile weather.
I'm seeing trailer after trailer heading up the mountain...4-6 snow machines each.

Reactions: charger4406
I’m really liking the constant teens and 20s for outdoor temperatures. This is pretty cold for western Washington. It makes running the princess really easy. Once in the morning and once in the evening I pitch five more splits into the firebox on top of coals and other remaining fuel. No kindling, no torch, no special Tetris games, just constant heat and a warm house. Running at 3 o’clock on the stat.

I do char the fresh load because it seems to minimize emissions, chimney gunk, and keeps the glass pretty clean.

Keeping the shop warm is a different story. That big noncat takes a lot of tending and fuel but to be fair it is undersized.

Reactions: charger4406
My princess likes the cold way better than those mild days we were having. Im definitely not enjoying it too much. Hands feel like they’re made of rusty tin lol. Wish I had what it takes for one of those desk jobs. Almost done though, back to rain here in a few

Reactions: Highbeam
3 months in to the burn season and my wife is winning the battle of the tstat. Fairly happy with the new BlazeKing purchase. I fixed the seized handle with antisieze. When I did, I noticed some charring on the backside of the handle. Temps in the northwest have been hovering around zero so we've asked more of the stove, running it hotter inorder to keep up. Happy to say the 3000 sq ft home hasn't dipped below 60 degrees as we're able to get it up to about 65 in the day. Running it so hot has really increased the charring on the wood handle to the point that small charred pieces of it are coming off.

Thoughts? is the wood handle something that needs to replaced semi regularly like the CAT?
we have the same experience with our wood handle

I have charred a wood handle on the loading door on 1 King and 1 other new non Blaze King stove I purchased. If you have a temperature gun, please PM me any readings you might get. I can show them to engineers. In the mean time, just PM you name/address and we can send a replacement handle. Are the adjoining wall masonry/noncombustible? You can PM a picture of the install too if you don't mind.

BKVP
sir, does your offer apply to our scenario to? happy to send pics of our set up. thank you

Would not you think that they would have put a metal handle on there? clancey
Metal handles do not pass temperature tests. The exception being the gold plated coil style....

Reactions: panderson03
I added an icc damper with most the holes in the damper plate modified in my horizontal section going in the snout, mainly to get the princess further out from brick chimney. There was some good older posts about the thermostat being fooled by reflective heat.

.07”measured below the damper on a long settled medium burn with the damper 3/4 shut. 296 degree temp. 24 degrees outside and light wind. I’ve seen specs of .05” on high and .03-.04” on medium. Should be interesting to work with the -20 temps and high winds forecast this weekend. I’ve measured draft without a fire at .06”-.07” at times.

I fight a lot of variables, lots of sub zero conditions and days of very high winds.

19 feet of insulated smooth liner, 3 feet of double wall, 2-45 degree and also run a 3 foot section of class on top of the liner in a center brick chimney. When I get a south or north wind it hits the gable end and I get some crazy eddy currents, this helps get the stack in less disturbed air and also carry’s the smoke plume further away from the house on reloads and cold starts.

I’m going to further test the damper. I’m hoping to find a resolve on the occasional hinge side light smoke smell when you stick your nose up to. I think ashfuls theory of strong draft contributing to it has some validity. I plan on replacing the door gasket again as a good measure, can’t seem to get an even tension all the way around. The upper right 1/3 of the door is a bit looser.

Hope everyone is safe and blessed new year!

2021-2022 BK everything thread 2021-2022 BK everything thread

Reactions: Highbeam
Not as impressive as BKVP mega splits but challenge accepted ha. Much love for the dead red elm. I got tired of burning ash, needed to change things up. Coals are annoying with red elm when it’s cold.

2021-2022 BK everything thread

Crazy sport! I still prefer the wide boards attached to my feet

I used to enjoy skiing at one point, never did care for snowboarding, then I got on a sled....

Gravity is cool and all, but a 600lb machine with 215hp is a totally different game.

It's probably been 12 years since I put on a pair of skis.

On my stove I do not like how it opens and its all metal and the air adjuster is all metal and I do not like it because it gets too hot...so I think I see what you mean by temperature test (posting1088)..Also (jdonna) that's a impressive load and I looked up the stoves and they sure handle a lot..nice stoves and inserts as well...I love pictures...clancey

On my stove I do not like how it opens and its all metal and the air adjuster is all metal and I do not like it because it gets too hot...so I think I see what you mean by temperature test (posting1088)..Also (jdonna) that's a impressive load and I looked up the stoves and they sure handle a lot..nice stoves and inserts as well...I love pictures...clancey
I hope you're far from the fires! My brother and his family were evacuated last night...

My brother and his family were evacuated last night.
I hope they were able to take some belongings with
them and that their home will not be affected.

Reactions: BKVP
I have been running my Princess on (more less) 12h reloads. I like this system a lot. Last night, the closest fuel in my wood rack was sugar maple. I did not feel like reaching deep in the piles to get hemlock and basswood. Loaded the stove with 6 solid splits of sugar maple. It is 1:00pm now and the stove could easily go for another 4/5h. What happened to my 12h shifts……..

Reactions: jdonna
I have been running my Princess on (more less) 12h reloads. I like this system a lot. Last night, the closest fuel in my wood rack was sugar maple. I did not feel like reaching deep in the piles to get hemlock and basswood. Loaded the stove with 6 solid splits of sugar maple. It is 1:00pm now and the stove could easily go for another 4/5h. What happened to my 12h shifts……..
Your Princess went on a diet?;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.