2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the gases are 250 at 18” above my stove, they must be much much lower at 24 some feet at the cap. No build up at my cap though. Part time user , just disclaiming.

Reactions: stoveliker
If the gases are 250 at 18” above my stove, they must be much much lower at 24 some feet at the cap. No build up at my cap though. Part time user , just disclaiming.
It depends at what stage of the burn this reading is at and how accurate the temp reading is. Just hypothesizing here, If the chimney system is well insulated then it may only get a 10-20º drop. on the trip to the top. And accumulations may be getting burned off at the next start up if the flue temp is 600º.

It depends at what stage of the burn this reading is at and how accurate the temp reading is. Just hypothesizing here, If the chimney system is well insulated then it may only get a 10-20º drop. on the trip to the top. And accumulations may be getting burned off at the next start up if the flue temp is 600º.
Of course it is all different with every set up. Mine is very peculiar, clean cap, some shine at the clean out, very little accumulation, part time use.
My flue very exposed to the north (very cold, Quebec cold)!

Of course it is all different with every set up. Mine is very peculiar, clean cap, some shine at the clean out, very little accumulation, part time use.
My flue very exposed to the north (very cold, Quebec cold)!
If the thermometer is like our probe thermometer was, it could be off by quite a bit.

I will have my first fire in the bk this weekend. I will take the Auber meter/probe and test, will see if and by how much the bi-metalic probe is off.

I will have my first fire in the bk this weekend. I will take the Auber meter/probe and test, will see if and by how much the bi-metalic probe is off.
You can’t always trust the Auber either,,, been there..

Great, thanks. I am deliberating replacing our old Condar.

You can’t always trust the Auber either,,, been there..
Yes, it can happen. I have heard of some probe failures several years ago. Our Auber wireless was defective, it wouldn't communicate with the remote unit, but that was obvious and they replaced it under warranty.

Quick question: Did everyone fill out the 10yr cat warranty card and mail it in? Or is my bill of sale all I need?
I can tell you for certain, the 10-year "warranty" is a greater duration of coverage than the owner's manual describes. You see, our supplier, based upon extremely low claims numbers, offered us an extension above and beyond what was required by EPA. So the 10-year coverage is a promotion we have been running for over 6 years now. We fully expect to continue doing so as our supplier remains supportive. So, if you want to be covered for the extended coverage, send in the card. Great question!!

BKVP

Reactions: Alpine1
I can tell you for certain, the 10-year "warranty" is a greater duration of coverage than the owner's manual describes. You see, our supplier, based upon extremely low claims numbers, offered us an extension above and beyond what was required by EPA. So the 10-year coverage is a promotion we have been running for over 6 years now. We fully expect to continue doing so as our supplier remains supportive. So, if you want to be covered for the extended coverage, send in the card. Great question!!

BKVP
Thanks, card will be in the mail

First fire in the BK yesterday. Did not miss a beat. Loaded with cedar and punky hemlock around 4:00pm. I could reload now but I think I will let it go out. I want to clean the pipe and tighten the door latch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealm66
My Ashford 30.1 is a pre 2020 model, what improvements were made for the new certification? I guess this is directed towards BKVP . I installed it in 2018

I laugh every time I load this stove….

E37CAB01-1581-4B31-B073-00BFC2AA5AB3.jpeg

This is the Princess? Is it normally loaded E/W?
Yes it is. The splits were too long to load NS. NS is my preferred loading way.

It's nice to have that option. Looks like a good start to the season.

Reactions: Diabel
First fire in the BK yesterday. Did not miss a beat. Loaded with cedar and punky hemlock around 4:00pm. I could reload now but I think I will let it go out. I want to clean the pipe and tighten the door latch.
I wonder if you can comment on your experience with burning cedar. we have many cedar trees >6" diameter that i'd love to burn in our Princess but i'd heard burning cedar in a stove or fireplace comes with challenges. thank you!

I've burned cedar in my BK. Works fantastic. Either in shoulder season, or starting a fire, or mixed with wood that may be slightly higher in moisture.

If you burn it in a stove when it is properly dry, it is not bad in any way. An open fireplace may give some popping sparks.

Nighttime temps dip into the 40s now and 30's predicted in a couple of weeks. Stove is ready, flue is cleaned. 5 cords of wood seasoned, split, stacked (oak, elm, ash, ironwood). we're almost ready for the season! i did wonder about the thermometer the sticks into the BK box. it seems coated with creosote. how do i clean that? thank you

No need to clean it as it doesn't affect the temp reading (it might slow the reading down a tiny bit, but this is a slow measurement anyway).
If you are nevertheless concerned, I'd use fine sandpaper if it is crusty. Lightly rub it; don't abrade the metal.

I wonder if you can comment on your experience with burning cedar. we have many cedar trees >6" diameter that i'd love to burn in our Princess but i'd heard burning cedar in a stove or fireplace comes with challenges. thank you!
I don’t actually burn much cedar in my stove. Most of the cedar gets burned in the fire pit. On occasion when I come across a nice fallen/broken/dead cedar 5-7” across I will buck it and throw it in the firewood pile. Any wood will burn just fine as long as it is well seasoned.

There is a little western red cedar in this year's mixed wood stash in the shed. It burns fine, but can be extra sparky so watch our for popping embers.

Status
Not open for further replies.