2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone for comment on this? @BKVP? any harm on shimming between the window retainer studs?

I’m contemplating also shimming between the studs with some metal shim stock and then bedding it in with RTV when I change out the door gasket.
It should not be necessary.

So I had an unpleasant surprise with my Princess/chimney. Went to visit family for 4 days, before I left I loaded the stove and gave it a good char / bake before letting ride the hole till it runs out of fuel. We had got 6” of snow the next day and the chimney was just right for the snow to stick and seal the cap. Got home and proceeded to do the usual cold start routine and the stove is spilling smoke bad( never had a whiff spill before). Took me a bit to figure out what was going on. Thanks to a tip on here I put an old hair dryer in the stove on low fan high heat for an hour. Tried the match trick to check for draft and looked good. Fired it up and now back online.

Reactions: Alpine1 and jdonna
I created a Video, it was to big to attach it.

Hard to see, but the movements you make suggest that at least the top and hinge sides are not straight. If so, I'd not be surprised that it leaks...

Thanks for the video. Those appear to be within tolerance. I'd like you to check out one other item for me. Where does the gasket hit on the door flange (we call them knife-edged seal). Recently another member here identified the door was striking too low, place 1/8" washer in the hinge pins and raised the door. Initial update he provided was it eliminated the smell issue.

Can you check your and get back to me please.

I created a Video, it was to big to attach it.
Hard to say how much variance is allowable on the knife edge and what the factory tolerances are when they leave the door. Either it warped or was that way from day 1.

Edit saw BKVP just answered. It’s the fuss in me from an engine building background and surfacing.

Thanks for the video. Those appear to be within tolerance. I'd like you to check out one other item for me. Where does the gasket hit on the door flange (we call them knife-edged seal). Recently another member here identified the door was striking to low, place 1/8" washer in the hinge pins and raised the door. Initial update he provided was it eliminated the smell issue.

I'm a bit apprehensive asking this, but the play in the straight edge appeared to be on the same order as the thickness of the gasket... How can that be within tolerance?

It appeared to be
I'm a bit apprehensive asking this, but the play in the straight edge appeared to be on the same order as the thickness of the gasket... How can that be within tolerance?
The video quality isn't great. These are two welded parts that are held in place by spring loaded jigs. We have to use the spring loaded design so that the face of the stove is not distorted by the hot weld.

If you have show the full variance on just one side, it looks to more of an issue than it is. Because the gasket may compress some in the middle to absorb and even out the gap on each side. Not worded the best, but it works out.

More than likely, for this to be an issue on a Princess or Sirocco, it is likely and vertical alignment issue.

Ok. You're the professional here (and you have skin in the game).
I know the gasket is meant to seal over an imperfect junction (I used soft copper gaskets to seal UHV flanges) - but when the slack is of similar magnitude as the thickness of the gasket, things don't seal anymore.

But, you've looked at this far more than I have.

Let's hope the problem on this stove can be resolved.

I'd return that and shop somewhere else, you paid almost double the cost, go by measurements and not advertisement, check out midwest hearth for your cats, after your first one is kicked, turn that one into your dealer if it meets the warrantee period (most do btw)
You must be a better shopper than I am. Let me know where you find these at half price.

Nope. You did not. The link is to a supplier that cannot supply an appropriate cat.

They do not offer a cat that fits the Sirocco insert. I contacted them directly but no dice.
I see now that your refering to a insert and not a free standing stove, s.cat2425 - dimensions 13x2.8x2" totally different then the free standing larger ashford, sirocco & princess

Thanks for the video. Those appear to be within tolerance. I'd like you to check out one other item for me. Where does the gasket hit on the door flange (we call them knife-edged seal). Recently another member here identified the door was striking too low, place 1/8" washer in the hinge pins and raised the door. Initial update he provided was it eliminated the smell issue.

I don't have the fastest upload so I had to get the video down in size. The original video was 750MB , that would have taken days for me to upload that.
Here is a picture of the door. Top, Bottom and hinge side are pretty close to center. Handle side it is all the way to the outside edge.
I did put a washer under the hinges last year midway thru the season but did not seem to make a difference.

unnamed.jpg

I don't have the fastest upload so I had to get the video down in size. The original video was 750MB , that would have taken days for me to upload that.
Here is a picture of the door. Top, Bottom and hinge side are pretty close to center. Handle side it is all the way to the outside edge.
I did put a washer under the hinges last year midway thru the season but did not seem to make a difference.

View attachment 289203
Please give me a call. 509-522-2730. I'll be in no later 6:00 a.m. PST. I have multiple meetings, so if I'm not available, leave me a message and number to call back.

Reactions: Alpine1
The definition of getting yours moneys worth;lol Nice! Lots of those floating around on CL and FBMP. Not many looking that nice.

-15 this am and waiting for coals to burn down, the thermostat knob was getting loose. Thermostat has been getting hard to turn so I lubed the 2 points and tightened the knob. Good to go.

The buttery was a bit sticky, I know some would say don’t add any lube on it but it sure made a difference in its movement. Next burn will tell.

4469B7B0-EDF6-40D8-9216-1341CFA1F859.jpeg

Reactions: Highbeam
For the last 3 winters, when it gets cold, this is about 60 to 70% of my loads.

PXL_20220107_012926811.MP.jpg PXL_20220107_012726971.jpg PXL_20220107_012707408.jpg

Reactions: lsucet
Oak, including biggest oak split yet 8" by 5" by "just too long to fit down in the belly"(by 1/10"..). And a piece of ash mid top, and pine right and left.too.

IMG_20220107_221908881.jpg

Woke up this morning to 9 deg f, now its 20 deg f, I can say happily that the princess is predicably dialed in, burning oak at night and maple during the day, I like how the maple essentially disintegrates and when its time to reload in the evening I have a lot less coals so I can fit more oak splits in.
I started splitting bigger about 2 years ago, so I have mixed medium and large pieces now, I'm thinking about building a separate 2 cord woodshed that hold extra large splits, think of 14" diameter ash tree logs 16" long that are just cut in half and stacked to dry, I have the space, I certainly have the tree's to cut, I might as well try it, if it doesn't work, I just need to re-split those pieces smaller.
I also ran the 1 damper last night 1/2 shut, I maintained a great glowing coal base with small secondary flames, 2 o'clock cat probe needle and the blower on 3/4 high, house stayed at 71 the whole night, the only issue was that I lost the house cat, normally he sleeps at the foot of my bed, last night he stayed on the 3rd step of the basements stairs soaking up the heat coming off the stove.

67D60AD7-8EB0-4047-A100-DA05F6CD5C48.jpeg

Wow. Keep that weather there please.😀

Status
Not open for further replies.