2021/22 VC Owner thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you mean? The secondary flap, or are you talking about the epa holes?
Secondary flap. Remove the screw, let it drop, seal with aluminum foil. Did it 3yrs ago and it works.

That temp is definitely cooking. I would cover up the secondary air with some foil tape

Sure it is not EPA approved, but it works. VC engineers…..you suck (Corey you are in sales right…..).

Sure it is not EPA approved, but it works. VC engineers…..you suck (Corey you are in sales right…..).
Corey is a combustion engineer for HHT, but the Encore design was before he worked there I believe.

Corey is a combustion engineer for HHT, but the Encore design was before he worked there I believe.
I stand corrected.Thank you

Reactions: clancey
Secondary flap. Remove the screw, let it drop, seal with aluminum foil. Did it 3yrs ago and it works.
So remove the pulley. Remove flap screw. Insert layer of foil. Reinsert flap screw.

Do I have this correct?

flap.jpeg

Like this. It does not have to be waterproof.

0B52BF70-6CAB-434C-A4B8-3D014807C7A1.jpeg

So did you take the flap off, tape the hole, put the flap back on and then tape over that again? Or just tape the opening the closed flap doesnt cover?
Tape over the metal flap.

My vc is close to my kitchen and I will often put something on the griddle top, like things that need thawing out. Works well.

Reactions: clancey
Ok.. got the baked ziti on with meatballs sausage and country spare ribs.. thats dinner..
Mmm. Stuff like this is why I'm so excited to put the cooktop to use on the Aspen C3. It just needs to finally get cold here.

Hello everyone! Over the summer I installed a new chimney and tore down our 0028 defiant encore to the bare flat panels and completely rebuilt and resealed it (It was very neglected and never worked properly). I couldn't have done it without you guys, this place has been an incredibly useful resource. I have thermocouples with alarms on the cat, griddle and flue.

It has been running for around two months now and I'm getting the feeling something is wrong. I'm having to run fairly cold temperatures on the griddle to prevent the cat from overheating (My alarm is set for 1600 on the cat). I've had the cat exceed 1600 even with the griddle at 250. This is causing a lot of cresote buildup on the interior of the stove and glass, I've had to replace the door gasket already due to it impregnating the gasket and turning it crunchy causing the thing to leak and almost go nuclear (Along with the secondary air over-extending and opening back up)

I warm the griddle up to 400 before closing the damper but unless I keep cutting the air back the cat just gets hotter and hotter while the stove body/griddle just gets cooler and cooler. There's just no way to run this at a decent griddle/stove body temp without the cat constantly climbing.

I can't find anyone else who has this issue, it seems like you guys have issues with the griddle becoming too hot if anything. It's interfering with keeping the house warm. On the plus side there is very little creosote buildup in the chimney, it has stayed very clean.

EPA holes are unplugged and secondary air inlet appears to function properly. How do I fix this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Earlnemo
Newbie to hearth.com. Been burning wood for 30 years on a Noble woodstove. After many reviews and reading all the threads here, I ordered a VC Encore at the end of May and it was finally delivered and installed last week. Sunday I did 2 burn ins and I'm doing the third right now. It's a beautiful woodstove!
20211121_165305.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.