2021/22 VC Owner thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all suggest leaving the damper closed or open during the warmer months when the stove isn’t in use? We get a lot of humidity here in VA and I don’t want rust forming on the inside of the stove. I put rice in the ash pan last summer and that seemed to help.

Do you all suggest leaving the damper closed or open during the warmer months when the stove isn’t in use? We get a lot of humidity here in VA and I don’t want rust forming on the inside of the stove. I put rice in the ash pan last summer and that seemed to help.
I keep ming closed but not locked

Reactions: Jmorg
Does your damper still close as well as it did when it was new? I’ve tightened the adjustment screw on the damper but still doesn’t quite feel as locked down anymore.

Its definitely not going to be as tight.. the gasket is compressed. Mine is the same way, same for the door gaskets. I did them in October, They are still air tight, but nowhere nears as har to close

Reactions: Jmorg
My stove is the 2040.. I run mine without the cat sometimes, mostly to take the chill of and non long burns. Your better off leaving the cat in if your closing the damper if you going to burn for hours like that. the cat will keep the stove pipe warm and that will keep the draft up, otherwise there's a good chance of the stove stalling on you and not getting a full burn or back puffing .. When I start my stove up in October.. its just a fire here and there.. no cat. as my needs increase and I want a longer duration burn the cat goes in
This is good to know. I’m going to have several months of just having an evening fire. It can still be warm here in November during the day. So for those evening fires would you just leave the damper open?

I just started a new job and have been pretty much been left alone so far this week with nothing to do. So I just reread my manual for my Intrepid Flexburn. After reading the manual for probably the 4th time in a year I think that last year I wasn't running it hot enough.

Where is everyone taking their STT at? Last year I was taking it in the middle, directly behind the griddle. The manual says that temps should be taken on the griddle, but my griddle seems to run 75-100 degrees cooler than the enamel behind it. This could be why I am not running hot enough.

Also I am going to have the attic insulated this summer. We will see how much that affects the stove in winter. My guess is not much due to leaky windows.

ETA: I also just found this gem.
"Dry wood burns readily with a good chimney draft. But with modern stoves, wood can be too dry and too volatile. Smoke and combustible gases can ‘gas out’ from the wood quickly and densely enough to overload the combustion system. If you hear a rumbling or roaring noise (like a propane torch) from the stove, that is a sign that the stove is over-firing."

So I don't want to be hearing that blowtorch sound? I thought that it was normal.

Last edited:
I also thought that sound was normal. often enough if i dont hear any sound like the rumble either loud or just loud enough to hear there will be smoke coming out of the chimney top. when that happens i try to rearrange the wood and coals to fix it.

I also thought that sound was normal. often enough if i dont hear any sound like the rumble either loud or just loud enough to hear there will be smoke coming out of the chimney top. when that happens i try to rearrange the wood and coals to fix it.
I think it's normal? I think the passage from the owners manual is just to alert you to the possibility of over-firing. I get the blowtorch sound for a few minutes after I close the damper on my Dauntless. My temps are never anywhere near overfiring.

Reactions: newguyjoe
I think it's normal? I think the passage from the owners manual is just to alert you to the possibility of over-firing. I get the blowtorch sound for a few minutes after I close the damper on my Dauntless. My temps are never anywhere near overfiring.
I think that the more quiet blow torch sound that stops after a few minutes is normal. I have come down to when my wife has loaded up the stove and she put a split right in front of the refractory and you can easily hear the sound from 15-20 feet away. The cat temp probe says that it isn't over heating, but it in in the top 1/4 of the operate catalyst zone. I think what is happening in those instances is that the split is off gassing and the gasses are going straight out of the firebox back towards the cat and then burning. Im assuming that this is the reason that I get super high (not overfiring) cat numbers and not so great STT.

Typically I will load the stove and not put any wood in front of the refractory. This leads to even smaller loads of my already tiny Intrepid.

I think that the more quiet blow torch sound that stops after a few minutes is normal. I have come down to when my wife has loaded up the stove and she put a split right in front of the refractory and you can easily hear the sound from 15-20 feet away. The cat temp probe says that it isn't over heating, but it in in the top 1/4 of the operate catalyst zone. I think what is happening in those instances is that the split is off gassing and the gasses are going straight out of the firebox back towards the cat and then burning. Im assuming that this is the reason that I get super high (not overfiring) cat numbers and not so great STT.

Typically I will load the stove and not put any wood in front of the refractory. This leads to even smaller loads of my already tiny Intrepid.
What probe are you using with your stove ?

Does this sound to code for a VC Encore install?

1” hardi backer using two 1/2” over 2x4 studs to make up the thickness of the plaster walls. Putting stone veneer over hardi backer.

48” hearth pad

Between the hardi backer and stone that is at least 2 inches. Stove needs 11 inches of clearance. With the 48” hearth pad is I set the stove at 10 inches to the stone that will give me my 11” to combustibles and 16 inches of front clearance. If I read the diagram correctly I would need 49” from front of hearth pad to combustibles. I should have about 50” due to the hardibacker and stone veneer pushing the hearth pad out.

The Encore 2040 requires R=1.06 thermal resistance for the hearth.
1" of Hardibacker provides R=.52. The stone veneer does not add much more, like .18 for 2"., or R=.70 for the whole sandwich. If Durock NexGen was used then two 1/2" sheets will equal R .78. Three sheets would bring it up toR=1.17. Another option would be 1/2" of Micore insulation board under the Hardiebacker.

The Encore 2040 requires R=1.06 thermal resistance for the hearth.
1" of Hardibacker provides R=.52. The stone veneer does not add much more, like .18 for 2"., or R=.70 for the whole sandwich. If Durock NexGen was used then two 1/2" sheets will equal R .78. Three sheets would bring it up toR=1.17. Another option would be 1/2" of Micore insulation board under the Hardiebacker.
I didn’t know it needed any thermal resistant but just a 11” clearance from combustibles. So am I better off kicking the hearth pad a inch from the stone that will be on the wall?

The wall clearance spec is independent of the hearth insulation requirement. One is a distance measurement and the other is thermal resistance.

Is this for the Encore 2040?

The wall clearance spec is independent of the hearth insulation requirement. One is a distance measurement and the other is thermal resistance.

Is this for the Encore 2040?
Yes it’s a 2040. So I am now officially confused. I thought that if you had the stove 11” from the wall you didn’t need any thermal protection?

My question is does the rock and hardibacker count as part of the combustible wall? According to this it does. https://nasdonline.org/1248/d001052/wood-stove-installation-and-operation.html

I am being told different things by different people.

A 48” hearth pad would fit nicely where I want to put it but I want to make sure everything is to code.

Your post started out describing the hearth pad construction. That is all I am referring to. This is independent of the wall clearance requirements. Here is the section from the manual:

Floor Protection

A tremendous amount of heat radiates from the bottom plate of your stove. The floor area directly under and around the stove will require protection from radiant heat as well as from stray sparks or embers that may escape the firebox.

Heat protection is provided with the use of the Bottom Heat Shield supplied with the stove.

Most installations will require the bottom heat shield to be attached. Only when the stove is placed on a completely noncombustible surface such as unpainted concrete over earth may it be used without the heat shield.

With the bottom heat shield installed the Encore® 2040 was tested using a 1/2" (13mm) non-combustible hearth material with a thermal conductivity, (k) = 0.47 BTU - in/ hr - ft2 -°F, resulting in the requirement of providing a total thermal resistance (R) of 1.06. (Refer to “How to Determine if Alternate Floor Protection Materials are Acceptable” section.) The floor protector may be covered with a decorative noncombustible material if desired. Do not obstruct the space under the heater.

The hearth pad heat resistance requirement is independent of the wall clearance requirement. They are two different, independent requirements. The minimum hearth pad size for this stove is listed as 43" wide by 49" deep, with an extension if the stove is rear vented.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 12.37.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Your post started out describing the hearth pad construction. That is all I am referring to. This is independent of the wall clearance requirements. Here is the section from the manual:

Floor Protection

A tremendous amount of heat radiates from the bottom plate of your stove. The floor area directly under and around the stove will require protection from radiant heat as well as from stray sparks or embers that may escape the firebox.

Heat protection is provided with the use of the Bottom Heat Shield supplied with the stove.

Most installations will require the bottom heat shield to be attached. Only when the stove is placed on a completely noncombustible surface such as unpainted concrete over earth may it be used without the heat shield.

With the bottom heat shield installed the Encore® 2040 was tested using a 1/2" (13mm) non-combustible hearth material with a thermal conductivity, (k) = 0.47 BTU - in/ hr - ft2 -°F, resulting in the requirement of providing a total thermal resistance (R) of 1.06. (Refer to “How to Determine if Alternate Floor Protection Materials are Acceptable” section.) The floor protector may be covered with a decorative noncombustible material if desired. Do not obstruct the space under the heater.

The hearth pad heat resistance requirement is independent of the wall clearance requirement. They are two different, independent requirements. The minimum hearth pad size for this stove is listed as 43" wide by 49" deep, with an extension if the stove is rear vented.

View attachment 297274
I’m in the US so I need a smaller hearth pad. The one I’m purchasing will have enough thermal resistance. My question has to do with the distance of the hearth pad from the wall. Does the Hardi backer and stone count as part of that combustible wall? Should I space the hearth pad 1” from the wall?

I’m in the US so I need a smaller hearth pad. The one I’m purchasing will have enough thermal resistance. My question has to do with the distance of the hearth pad from the wall. Does the Hardi backer and stone count as part of that combustible wall? Should I space the hearth pad 1” from the wall?
Apologies, it didn't say the hearth was to be purchased. The clearance is measured to the nearest combustible which would be the studs behind the hardibacker.

Last edited:
That looks great. Did they transition to a stainless liner above the visible stove pipe?
Nice hearth and floors too. Are they maple?

That looks great. Did they transition to a stainless liner above the visible stove pipe?
Nice hearth and floors too. Are they maple?
Yes, there is an insulated stainless liner above the pipe, very happy with how it turned out. I'm not positive on what the floors are, but I've always thought they looked like maple as well.

Currently have a 1975 Defiant but just bought a new VC Encore. Very excited to be able to see the fire AND feel the warmth 😊. I plan on having it hot most of the winter. Have a large stack of hard wood that's been covered/seasoned for 2 years now. It's hot here in NJ now but prepping for the cold months.

Reactions: Jmorg and newguyjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.