2022/23 VC Owner thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have become fascinated with getting this thing in cruise control mode. Next battle is keeping the glass clean

My next test is to see how cold my basement gets without my heat on. I am only 2/3 underground so I am a little concerned it may not stay warm down there when we are consistently cold
I will say that my unfinished basement does get fairly cold. I host a monthly poker night typically in the basement, but winter months we have to play on the first floor. I’m not sure that having the furnace kick on would keep it warm enough, but it isn’t cold enough for the pipes to freeze, so it doesn’t matter to me.

I will say that my unfinished basement does get fairly cold. I host a monthly poker night typically in the basement, but winter months we have to play on the first floor. I’m not sure that having the furnace kick on would keep it warm enough, but it isn’t cold enough for the pipes to freeze, so it doesn’t matter to me.
Mine is unfinished. Just need to keep it warm enough so pipes don't freeze. Otherwise I will only be down there to tune the snowboard

Something I just thought about last night, did any of you ever register your stove with VC? I didn't see any paperwork that came with my new Encore. I am aware there is a warranty on parts, and I bought it from a reputable local wood stove dealer/store. Did I miss paperwork and did anyone else register theirs with VC?

Something I just thought about last night, did any of you ever register your stove with VC? I didn't see any paperwork that came with my new Encore. I am aware there is a warranty on parts, and I bought it from a reputable local wood stove dealer/store. Did I miss paperwork and did anyone else register theirs with VC?

I dont remember having to register my stove.. I thing the dealer keeps track of purchases and you go through them for warranty.. I believe you have to have a certified technician work on them for warranty

I dont remember having to register my stove.. I thing the dealer keeps track of purchases and you go through them for warranty.. I believe you have to have a certified technician work on them for warranty
Don't believe I did this either. My dealer said they would do the warranty work if I needed anything

I did not. I don't remember seeing the registration stuff, but it may have been in the paperwork.

I did not. I don't remember seeing the registration stuff, but it may have been in the paperwork.
I received a post card thing that had my stove model information on it, but I have no idea what I did with it. It's probably sitting on my desk at my cabin waiting to be processed or filed.

Edit: I only captured part of it in a picture. It has my model number 2235 and my serial number, also who it was inspected by and you can see check marks showing what they checked in QC. It provides a field for comments (that could fit maybe two sentences) and they ask you to send it back with your feedback.

My comments and I would write : Uh, it would be nice if you told people you need a single wall adapter then a double wall.

Last edited:
Anyone here ever use a gasket around your cat? Somebody here mentioned it and I wanted to get a little more info on how to attach it. There's probably about 1/4" gap around the cat in my Dauntless so not a very tight fit...

Anyone here ever use a gasket around your cat? Somebody here mentioned it and I wanted to get a little more info on how to attach it. There's probably about 1/4" gap around the cat in my Dauntless so not a very tight fit...
The one from Condor says not to:
This ceramic catalyst must be installed without any additional gasket surrounding the stainless-steel.

Packing additional gasketing material around this combustor will cause overheating, premature fractures, and makes removal for replacement more difficult.

The one from Condor says not to:
This ceramic catalyst must be installed without any additional gasket surrounding the stainless-steel.

Packing additional gasketing material around this combustor will cause overheating, premature fractures, and makes removal for replacement more difficult.
Yes, was just reading that myself, but I wonder if that's just a Condar thing or is that universal for all cats wrapped with stainless steel

Yes, was just reading that myself, but I wonder if that's just a Condar thing or is that universal for all cats wrapped with stainless steel
Is the reasoning to prevent any air from bypassing the CAT in the gap? I don't have any specifics but I would think that would do more harm than good, but I could be wrong.
When you are looking at temps north of 1300 degrees, there has to be some expansion, and I have heard of some who say their CAT rattles/vibrates under high temps while engaged. Again, lacking any specifics I would think you could either cause a fracture in the CAT or the stove itself if it requires a little bit of movement under extreme temps. Interested to see what others say though.

Reactions: Jmorg
Is the reasoning to prevent any air from bypassing the CAT in the gap? I don't have any specifics but I would think that would do more harm than good, but I could be wrong.
When you are looking at temps north of 1300 degrees, there has to be some expansion, and I have heard of some who say their CAT rattles/vibrates under high temps while engaged. Again, lacking any specifics I would think you could either cause a fracture in the CAT or the stove itself if it requires a little bit of movement under extreme temps. Interested to see what others say though.
I was leaning over my stove the other day checking the cat temp and heard the cat rattle when it took off. It was the first time that I've ever heard it.

I was leaning over my stove the other day checking the cat temp and heard the cat rattle when it took off. It was the first time that I've ever heard it.
I wonder if a gap is common or not. Kinda feels like there is a good bit of room for smoke / air to escape the cat.

I wonder if a gap is common or not. Kinda feels like there is a good bit of room for smoke / air to escape the cat.
I'd say that it probably is meant to be that way. Some blow by isn't going to hurt. Also I'd think that if the cat is actually lit then I'd imagine that any smoke going by would burn off.

Question for those who have the secondary air closed off:

My chimney guy just stopped by for yearly cleaning. He said there was alot more creosote than previous years and highly suggest I dont close off secondary air. Which sucks because before I was getting over firing with the catalyst. Anyone have this issue? Think the creosote is because of secondary air being closed off?

My chimney guy just stopped by for yearly cleaning. He said there was alot more creosote than previous years and highly suggest I dont close off secondary air. Which sucks because before I was getting over firing with the catalyst. Anyone have this issue? Think the creosote is because of secondary air being closed off?
Did you ever check to see if your primary air door is opening and closing properly? The cable that works the primary air on my new stove was pinched and eventually broke. My stove was over firing also

We just had a brand new dauntless unit installed and my wife put a kettle on the griddle before the break in fire where all done.
It result in rusty stain. I try to clean it but now there is rust everywhere on it. From what I read on that forum, I must have removed the uncure protective paint. Now, what can I do to put it back in good condition. What kind of paint I should use.
Thanks for your help

Did you ever check to see if your primary air door is opening and closing properly? The cable that works the primary air on my new stove was pinched and eventually broke. My stove was over firing also
No issues with the primary flap. I had issues with over-firing the CAT in the past. It was recommended to me to close off the secondary air, which seemed to work. But I also built a good amount of creosote this year. Not sure how to proceed at this point.

When your draft is high and you close the bypass sometimes you get a really quick light off.. no worries as long as your cat settles in at the correct temperature. If you think its going to get really high you can cut the air back some at 1000 degrees.. if you do this the cat should settle in like 12/1300 degrees

When you say the cat is overfiring what temperature is it.. how tall is the chimney and is it 6 or 8 inch

We just had a brand new dauntless unit installed and my wife put a kettle on the griddle before the break in fire where all done.
It result in rusty stain. I try to clean it but now there is rust everywhere on it. From what I read on that forum, I must have removed the uncure protective paint. Now, what can I do to put it back in good condition. What kind of paint I should use.
Thanks for your help

can u send a couple pictures.. we boil water and sometimes cook on our and haven't had an issue

When you say the cat is overfiring what temperature is it.. how tall is the chimney and is it 6 or 8 inch
6" about 24-26' I think.

In the past i've gotten temps over 1600 too often for comfort. It will settle and then spike during the burn. Closing off the secondary air (as recommended) seemed to work. But I had more creosote than normal when cleaning chimney. Not sure if I should go back to operating the stove as normal or keep the secondary closed off.

can u send a couple pictures.. we boil water and sometimes cook on our and haven't had an issue
As you can see on the picture, the surface is reddish. It's was not like that when they install it 3 days ago.
The surface rust is very thin. It should be very easy to remove, but what can I do to prevent it from reappearing?

20221030_085738.jpg

6" about 24-26' I think.

In the past i've gotten temps over 1600 too often for comfort. It will settle and then spike during the burn. Closing off the secondary air (as recommended) seemed to work. But I had more creosote than normal when cleaning chimney. Not sure if I should go back to operating the stove as normal or keep the secondary closed off.

You might want ti try the steel cat.. I started using it last year.. I wanted to try it as the ceramic one you need to be delicate with.. I broke one when cleaning the stove. The steel cat lights off quick but doesn't seam to get at hot.. I haven't seen mine get past 1400 or so

Status
Not open for further replies.