2022 Garden Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cooler than normal temps are again predicted for here through mid-May at least. o_O

2022 Garden Thread 2022 Garden Thread

Reactions: clancey
The tomatos peppers and stuff were started back in February. All started from seed and in early march moved to the greenhouse. My son and I planted everything and sowed the seeds over the entire weekend. We've been working on the garden for a couple weeks cultivating and getting any weeds out. Its been really dry, sunny and windy so it cleaned up nicely. I needed to get the tomatoes out of the greenhouse.. they were getting beat up in there. the pictures were taken 4-10. The humidity the past 7 days in the greenhouse has been like 5% when iv been getting home. The peppers are enjoying that as well as the celery.. tomatoes... not so much

2022 Garden Thread 2022 Garden Thread 2022 Garden Thread

Lime my back is much better but its been awhile and pulled muscles sure take a long time. I might have broke a vertebrae or more as well but getting better every day. With all of you in this food plant business I am beginning to think you all have food insecurity---lol..Everything is looking just beautiful and you are all such hard workers and for me my three plants are enough for now.. Now Begreen what is cloching plants? Woodsplitter--your just as bad as all the rest on here with all the work and quanities of plants you are putting into the ground but the food coming does sound good.
Now everybody take a break and relax on this Sunday and eat good too--food for the spirit...Interesting reading everyone and soon I will take a picture of my three plants and whatever I do next with the yard outside...if anything...Freeman get some inserts in your shoes and that will help a whole lot but try them out first before buying... Enjoyed and happy Sunday everyone...clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Looks good Woodsplitter. My biggest tomatoes are reaching that size. I will need to decide on whether to repot or put in beds with a row cover soon. For the first time ever, the pepper starts are in complete revolt. They are the same age as the tomatoes but still have not set true leaves. This is for multiple varieties and they have been on a heating pad.

Looks good Woodsplitter. My biggest tomatoes are reaching that size. I will need to decide on whether to repot or put in beds with a row cover soon. For the first time ever, the pepper starts are in complete revolt. They are the same age as the tomatoes but still have not set true leaves. This is for multiple varieties and they have been on a heating pad.

is your greenhouse heated.. if so what is the nighttime temperature..

I fully admit to food insecurity! As I said earlier, I've never seen a president say there will be food shortages before. They choose their words carefully. I'll take their word on this one. Thats enough to get me to put a little more effort than normal to get food production up and running.

Pulled the boat out of winter storage and that'll go in the water next weekend! That'll provide the meat part of food insecurity, lol. I'm paid to trap all sorts of things, but I'm not insecure to eat them, yet, lol.

@EatenByLimestone, when I was in fifth grade, my mother trapped a groundhog that had been devastating her garden. She borrowed a gun from a neighbor, dispatched him, cleaned him, soaked him in brine in the refrigerator, and fried him up for dinner. It really was delicious. She said that, of course, he tasted good. He’d been eating all of her fresh garden produce before she got to.

@Woodsplitter67 and @Dan Freeman , you both have been working hard. I’m impressed.

@clancey , I’m glad your back is improving and that your three plants are well.

@begreen, we’re on the border between the darkest orange and the middle shade. It hasn’t been too bad this spring heat-wise (but the drought and winds and fire danger haven’t been a picnic). It will be a different sort of hard on the garden this summer, though, if we have higher than normal temperatures and continued drought. I feel for you, though, with such lingering cold.

I spent a good chunk of time in the garden yesterday. I had to fill all the ollas, and I also pruned off some of the lowest foliage and suckers on my larger tomatoes. It filled my son’s little five-gallon wheelbarrow. It was nice to get a closer look at the plants, though, and I found more baby tomatoes. That is always cheering.

Here are some photos for cheer.

A very small sunflower. It was sent in a little cup in a tiny wooden box as a gift for my husband from his work a year ago. I opened it up and watered it this year but coudn’t bear to keep the sprout in its tiny container, so I potted it up and transplanted it out. It’s only a foot high but very pretty. The second shot is a small okra seeding.
13C23437-0B86-4539-B589-DFEA688E5178.jpeg91A9072C-1151-496D-B1B0-9C93C0BB8A82.jpeg

Here’s a picture of a tomato I pruned yesterday. The pot behind it is empty, and the green behind that is my asparagus plants that are ferning. The next two shots are some of my container tomatoes.
6073B54B-E42D-4B7F-AFDA-575A001F8A32.jpeg6C979998-D9B8-4AA6-A7DD-611444370BF2.jpeg06DDE1CD-28A2-4D37-BFCB-9D98C4898352.jpeg

Finally, some basil that I topped when I was pruning. I have the tops in a glass of water on our dining room table because they’re so pretty and fragrant, and I’m hoping they’ll grow roots so that I can give them away.
A59EFF50-4310-4159-8711-CA12AAB1054B.jpeg

Just watered and picked tomatoes from my Tiny Tim plants in my den. Since 12/17/21, I have picked 910 tomatoes from 8 plants. There are still some more green ones, so I will probably end up with about 950 when all is done. After that, I am going to dump the plants since I have new Tiny Tims coming up in my greenhouse that are already getting blooms.

That's impressive. How is the flavor of Tiny Tim compared to say Sweet Million? Do you have the plant under a grow lamp?

That's impressive. How is the flavor of Tiny Tim compared to say Sweet Million? Do you have the plant under a grow lamp?
The Tiny Tim's are very sweet and low acid. They are great in salads or just to pop a few in your mouth as you pass the bowl by in the kitchen. I have never had the Sweet Million, so I can't compare. I kept the TT's on two levels of a baker's shelf with 1 Happy Leaf 33" ProcyonPro LED Grow Light on each level. https://happyleafled.com/

Reactions: clancey and begreen
Sounds like a nice solution. How many hours a day are the lights on? Before you take the plants down can you post a picture of them? I may try this for next winter. When did you start the Tiny Tims?

Sweet Millions have been our red cherry tomato for years. They are prolific, disease-resistant, and crack less in cool fal weather than Sweet 100s.

Sounds like a nice solution. How many hours a day are the lights on? Before you take the plants down can you post a picture of them? I may try this for next winter. When did you start the Tiny Tims?

Sweet Millions have been our red cherry tomato for years. They are prolific, disease-resistant, and crack less in cool fal weather than Sweet 100s.
I kept the grow lights on 16 hours a day.

I started them near the very end of September. Here they are on October 6th.

2022 Garden Thread

October 16th

2022 Garden Thread

October 24th after I moved them to bigger pots.

2022 Garden Thread

November 3rd

2022 Garden Thread

And here they are on December 15th when the first tomatoes started ripening. (Total days to ripening @75 days.

2022 Garden Thread

2022 Garden Thread

After the "first crop", there was a slowdown of a couple of weeks, and then they started blooming again with a "second crop". The 2nd crop is just about finished now. As I mentioned, I might be able to get a 3rd crop, but the plants are getting kind of "raggy looking" now, and I have new plants blooming in my greenhouse. Here's a picture I took this afternoon, but it is not the best since I moved the rack from the wall to in front of the windows the last few weeks - not for production purposes, but we rearranged the room.

2022 Garden Thread

I have never tried Sweet Millions. I just looked them up, and they remind me of Rapunzel tomatoes which grow in just about the same fashion. I have 5 Rapunzel tomatoes in my greenhouse now waiting to be moved outside. I did buy some Sweet 100 seeds just last week, but I'll probably not get them started for this season. I already have 40 plants in the greenhouse.

Bloomberg on food security issues

I just got an email yesterday that my tiny tim seeds shipped, along with some baby bok choy.

I'm hoping to ladder them over the winter to provide a table snack.

I have tried sweetie, and am pretty sure sweet millions. They both went over well with the kid. The sweetie were grown in the shade under a peach tree.

I love Bok choy and much better than cabbage but more expensive as well..Does anyone here do any sprouts or anything? Just wondering for they say that is full of good nutrition these sprouts are. clancey

Mrs Clancy, try purchasing the bok choy at the Asian supermarket. They sell so much there it’s cheap.

I really stripped our basil tonight for some pesto. This was our second meal of it. I think the first was 2 weeks ago. We probably harvested 2x what we did last time. I can't wait until it fills out again! The natural sun really gives it the kick it needs!

I use basil for my spag. sauce--. How do you make your pesto? I might try to plant basil when I can and forgot about that seed...I have mint growing really well and the other two plants (lettuce and tomato are doing okay). Next week I am going to try to get them into the ground and I started some holes in the grass but I will wait until my carpenter gets here next Tuesday and have him dig the holes for me...I will wet it down first to get the ground softer but I could only attempt to dig so far so I will leave him do the hard stuff. clancey

I like architectural items in my gardens like large rocks, statues, etc. With the food forest, the items have to be pretty large, so they won't be dwarfed. That is one reason why I decided on the pergola that I built last summer.

2022 Garden Thread

I've been thinking of putting in a decorative windmill, and I found one I like, so I bought it today. It is 10 feet tall.

2022 Garden Thread

I also bought a cedar bench that will go in the pergola, so we can rest and admire our work.

2022 Garden Thread

I will probably lug the 4-foot concrete angel statue down there. I think this will be the 5th location for this statue since we bought it over 20 years ago.

2022 Garden Thread

My better half wants a wishing well, but hasn't settled on one yet.

Everything is beautiful and I would get some tables and more benches and rent it out for weddings lol lol..and yes you need a fishing well for everybody needs a wishing well. wonderful..clancey