2022 Garden Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you covered it in poly sheets, like a green house in your green house, do you think you could grow tomatoes as a perennial?
Not sure, maybe. I think it would take a significant grow light supplement. Our winter days are short and often grey. I would also need to heat the greenhouse or at least the tomato bed to keep its roots warm.

There is an inspiring farm lady north of us that has created a very cool, self-sustaining, large greenhouse ecosystem. She grows all sorts of tropical fruits in it, year-round.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
The oranges in the snow guy is cool too! He grows oranges in Nebraska! Same idea as the Canadian lady, he doesn't appear to be as whole process oriented as her, but uses geothermal. Its interesting she does avocados. It would not make me sad at all to be growing them in this country and shut the cartels out of that industry.

The oranges in the snow guy is cool too! He grows oranges in Nebraska! Same idea as the Canadian lady, he doesn't appear to be as whole process oriented as her, but uses geothermal. Its interesting she does avocados. It would not make me sad at all to be growing them in this country and shut the cartels out of that industry.

I've watched this video a few times. Would love to have his setup.

My gardens crapping out on me.. Its been hot here and dew poings of 70 to 73 with late day or early evening thunderstorms is just killing my tomatoes, zucchini, and Cucumbers. I sprayed the tomatoes as a last resort with a fungicide.. Hopefully they come back.. Iv been busy at work, didn't go back there for like 4 days and im now paying the price for that mistake..

My tomato bush with one very tiny tomato and three or four flowers and I "tapped them" so maybe they will do "something"...I love Alaska and always wanted to take a trip there and someday maybe I will. I do not know and would think the "kiln idea" would be a lot harder than it would be worth but maybe and wish you could take a picture of it for us...Here's my tomato bush picture...clancey

tomato plant 002.JPG

The kale i planted got mowed by a bunny. There was a 4 ft section of older fence i didn't. Cover with hardware cloth. I guess i need to cover it. Its tough to take 1 step forward and get shoved back by a 6oz baby bunny. I'm trying not to go midevil on them. I have the tools to do it, but as long as they stay out of the garden we can coexist. They're pushing their luck.

Woods my garden is not doing too well either--growth wise but nothing much..Aw Lime you'll put up the hard wire your a kind soul. Well we all have to just keep plugging. "Somebody "stole" my lettuce shoot plant--took it right out of the ground so no more lettuce and it was very bitter anyway. Looks like a continued rain where the nation does not need it and hot weather ahead at least for us here..

We trimmed our garlic today. Should be enough for almost a year. (This pic does not include the 8 largest ones we will plant in October for next year's crop.)
001.jpg

And dug 44 pounds of Russet (Baking) potatoes to add to our 54 pounds of yellow potatoes. We still need to dig the red potatoes.
002.jpg

Tomatoes are overwhelming us!
003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: clancey and begreen
Too wet outside from last night's rain to work outside. I'm hoping the sun will pop out so we can get a few hours in.

Just cut up a bunch of yellow potatoes into cubes. Half went in the dehydrator and half went in the freeze dryer.

Just purchased a one-year subscription to Permaculture Magazine out of the UK. 4 issues a year and access to all 123 back issues. All articles can be searched which makes it easier to find topics. Only 13.99 £, 14.36 USD. I've already read a few articles about Russian Comfrey (Bocking 14 Cultivar). I am going to buy some crowns and get them planted in September. https://www.permaculture.co.uk/

Comfrey is not only a good medicinal herb (a topical agent for treating wounds, skin ulcers, thrombophlebitis, bruises, and sprains and strains), but it's tap root, which can grow 10 feet deep, pulls up minerals that aren't normally available to most plants. Making a compost tea from it is rather easy, or mulching with its leaves, and very beneficial for other plants. I probably will use it (mainly) for the latter, as a fertilizer.

Reactions: clancey
Comfrey tea can also be used as a wetting agent for the compost pile to further extend its benefits.

Too wet outside from last night's rain to work outside. I'm hoping the sun will pop out so we can get a few hours in.

Just cut up a bunch of yellow potatoes into cubes. Half went in the dehydrator and half went in the freeze dryer.

Just purchased a one-year subscription to Permaculture Magazine out of the UK. 4 issues a year and access to all 123 back issues. All articles can be searched which makes it easier to find topics. Only 13.99 £, 14.36 USD. I've already read a few articles about Russian Comfrey (Bocking 14 Cultivar). I am going to buy some crowns and get them planted in September. https://www.permaculture.co.uk/

Comfrey is not only a good medicinal herb (a topical agent for treating wounds, skin ulcers, thrombophlebitis, bruises, and sprains and strains), but it's tap root, which can grow 10 feet deep, pulls up minerals that aren't normally available to most plants. Making a compost tea from it is rather easy, or mulching with its leaves, and very beneficial for other plants. I probably will use it (mainly) for the latter, as a fertilizer.

My mother used to grow a large patch of comfrey in the back corner of her garden when I was little. I remember playing in it.

Bocking 14 is the seedless one, right?

I have not tried to establish comfrey here, though I’ve thought about it. We are working on reducing some other exotic invasives like horehound and thistles. We like to make weed tea out of those and use it in the garden and on the compost. We figure the thistles are pretty good nutrient harvesters.

Yes, though not by Texas standards. Highs have been in the 90s in Seattle, 80s closer to Puget Sound, which we are. The hot weather is supposed to break by Sunday. Unfortunately with marine air coming in the nighttime temps will drop back into the 50s which is not the best for heat lovers.

I wouldn’t wish Texas heat on anybody or even on any heat loving plants. They really don’t love it that hot. I think they’d actually prefer 50’s at night over 100’s during the day, but I know it slows their growth way down.

The news just reported that after the hottest May on record in San Antonio, the hottest June on record, we just officially closed the hottest July on record. Not only that, it tied for the hottest month on record ever. I really hope that August does not continue that trend.

Between the heat and illness, I have been really struggling recently. The good news is that I’ve managed to keep things alive and start some new crops. Lots of photos follow.

Here’s my Lemongrass that I started from seed this winter. We haven’t harvested or used any. I’m just letting it get established, but I’m excited that it is turning into a little clump from such a tiny seedling.

97250328-6843-415A-8E4B-241BBEF59355.jpeg

This is the Satsuma Mandarin Orange tree that got dug up by a skunk this winter and had most of its roots torn off. It has started growing nicely in its pot. We wanted to get it more established before trying to put it back in the ground.
535962D3-C6ED-4713-AA37-5AE5CA202262.jpeg

Last Thursday afternoon I received the seeds I had ordered from Sand Hill Preservation. I planted out some Red Noodle Yardlong Beans and Woods Mountain Crazy Bush Beans. The Yardlong Beans had some sprouts last night when I watered them in the evening. The bush beans showed their first sprouts this morning.
EC05E1B8-2778-4D21-A25E-8EF9923ED997.jpeg4A8FAC06-CE13-4A0B-AC98-81E2470713E8.jpeg

This is the ginger that I planted last spring. It spent the winter inside but resprouted outside this spring.
7EF536F8-9B91-46AE-AE82-6CB4EF7407C8.jpeg

Almost unbelievably to me, my rhubarb has made it all the way to August in record-breaking heat.
2BC4F650-7951-4A72-986B-0D5C343766B1.jpeg

My amaranth is growing nicely.
CB293621-E5CB-4707-9008-20A209B86E94.jpeg

My Sunn Hemp cover crop is growing in.
54C457A1-3CCE-4881-82F8-5ABD5F0052F6.jpeg

My first luffa gourd has been drying down. It rattled when I tapped it this morning, so I decided to harvest. It’s not a particularly large one, but I can tell that there are lots of seeds inside. There was actually a new female flower on the plant yesterday. I wonder if it will develop.
A56C0B94-B3FC-4293-B049-FF4EF8DF418C.jpeg

The Seattle area just broke a record for consecutive 90º+ days (6) but that is nothing compared to what the southwest is seeing. I am very impressed with what you have managed to keep growing in that heat. How will you be using the loofa? Have you tried picking one young for Asian cooking?

The Seattle area just broke a record for consecutive 90º+ days (6) but that is nothing compared to what the southwest is seeing. I am very impressed with what you have managed to keep growing in that heat. How will you be using the loofa? Have you tried picking one young for Asian cooking?

I plan to use the luffa for biodegradable dish scrubbers.

I have not picked them young simply because I didn’t have enough fruit set to try it. I’m excited to have lots of seed for future plantings now. If any more set toward the end of the season, I may still have a chance.

I can’t edit the post above, but apparently July was not tied for the hottest month ever here but came in second behind August of 2011. I remember when I moved here I heard about that drought from neighbors and a forester who talked about all the trees that died during that time. That’s part of the reason that she recommended that we cut the cedars away from the oaks so that they wouldn’t take all the moisture first during another drought. Thankfully our oaks seems to be holding on so far, but rain would be a huge blessing to everything and everybody down here.

We are losing a coastal redwood due to increased heat and multiple drought summers. It's a big, 50 yr old tree.

My mother used to grow a large patch of comfrey in the back corner of her garden when I was little. I remember playing in it.

Bocking 14 is the seedless one, right?

I have not tried to establish comfrey here, though I’ve thought about it. We are working on reducing some other exotic invasives like horehound and thistles. We like to make weed tea out of those and use it in the garden and on the compost. We figure the thistles are pretty good nutrient harvesters.
Yes. Blocking 14 is the seedless one and it looks like it is somewhat more adaptable to our winters. I found a site that sells 20 crowns for $70; about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of other sites, and they seem to have very good reviews. https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/...ive-root-cutting-bocking-14-cultivar-organic/

I wouldn’t wish Texas heat on anybody or even on any heat loving plants. They really don’t love it that hot. I think they’d actually prefer 50’s at night over 100’s during the day, but I know it slows their growth way down.

The news just reported that after the hottest May on record in San Antonio, the hottest June on record, we just officially closed the hottest July on record. Not only that, it tied for the hottest month on record ever. I really hope that August does not continue that trend.

Between the heat and illness, I have been really struggling recently. The good news is that I’ve managed to keep things alive and start some new crops. Lots of photos follow.

Here’s my Lemongrass that I started from seed this winter. We haven’t harvested or used any. I’m just letting it get established, but I’m excited that it is turning into a little clump from such a tiny seedling.

View attachment 297467

This is the Satsuma Mandarin Orange tree that got dug up by a skunk this winter and had most of its roots torn off. It has started growing nicely in its pot. We wanted to get it more established before trying to put it back in the ground.
View attachment 297468

Last Thursday afternoon I received the seeds I had ordered from Sand Hill Preservation. I planted out some Red Noodle Yardlong Beans and Woods Mountain Crazy Bush Beans. The Yardlong Beans had some sprouts last night when I watered them in the evening. The bush beans showed their first sprouts this morning.
View attachment 297469View attachment 297471

This is the ginger that I planted last spring. It spent the winter inside but resprouted outside this spring.
View attachment 297470

Almost unbelievably to me, my rhubarb has made it all the way to August in record-breaking heat.
View attachment 297472

My amaranth is growing nicely.
View attachment 297473

My Sunn Hemp cover crop is growing in.
View attachment 297474

My first luffa gourd has been drying down. It rattled when I tapped it this morning, so I decided to harvest. It’s not a particularly large one, but I can tell that there are lots of seeds inside. There was actually a new female flower on the plant yesterday. I wonder if it will develop.
View attachment 297475

You are a magician keeping things alive in your heat and lack of rain. Kudos!

No, it would take a ton of watering. The root systems spread far out. We are on a water system with tiered pricing to discourage overconsumption so regular watering is not an option. The one hope is that the mother tree has created many pups surrounding it that are thriving. One is already about 25 ft tall.

You are a magician keeping things alive in your heat and lack of rain. Kudos!
Definitely no magic here but a lot of time spent watering. It has been a blessing not to have run out of water in the rain tanks this summer. I just don’t take pictures of the dead stuff, and some things just aren’t worth reporting. Like the cucumber and tomato harvest of the last several days. Every so often we enjoy some as toppings on a salad, but this is pretty sad considering that I have six cucumber plants and maybe 20 tomatoes. I cut a number of the tomatoes back, but even the ones that are flowering just won’t set fruit. I’m keeping them going in the hopes of a fall harvest, though.

B605EDB8-F885-4822-91A5-6A773FE891AD.jpeg

I’m also planning to replace some plants later in the season if I can get good transplants. I put out some small transplants a couple of weeks back that all died due to flea beetle damage, I think, so I’m trying to grow some larger ones now. I have cucumbers, beets, dill, and some peppers, one eggplant, and tomatoes. I’m not sure that the seeds I saved from my tomato are going to germinate, though.
98A90633-F18C-4868-A220-7505A23D9D40.jpeg76FA2F7F-9F9D-4C01-9F42-97A6B34BA8CB.jpeg

@EatenByLimestone, I’m trying a new medium in the Aerogarden for this round. I got some Oasis Horticubes (supposed to be biodegradable foam of some sort) from Harris Seed. I want to use a tray of them to start wildflower seeds this fall, but I’m seeing how they do individually in the Aerogarden. They are too short really, but I shoved them down. As long as they come out without too much damage, they are much cheaper than peat sponges. It remains to be seen if they work, though. I’ll let you know.

The bits of egg carton are holding eggshells where my daughter is trying to sprout some wildflower seeds. She just started the project yesterday. We’ll see how she does remembering to water. I already had to remind her this morning.

No, it would take a ton of watering. The root systems spread far out. We are on a water system with tiered pricing to discourage overconsumption so regular watering is not an option. The one hope is that the mother tree has created many pups surrounding it that are thriving. One is already about 25 ft tall.

Our water system for our community well is tiered like that. It’s downright punitive at higher levels. They will also install a limiting meter for people whom they determine consume too much. Thankfully we stay below the 10K gallon level (the low tier) since we don’t water the garden with it. That’s why we have the rain tanks. It was an investment, but we know what kind of bills our next door neighbors have gotten for water in past summers. The highest part of our bill is just the fees to be connected. The water rate is low, but it would go up significantly if we used more water. (Our bills have gone up anyway because somehow the water company is retroactively raising our rates all the way back to September of 2020.)

I’m really glad to hear of the pups from your redwood, though. That’s very encouraging.

I’m not sure we have many trees on our property that are even 25 feet tall. Some of them are quite large because Live Oaks grow as wide or even wider than they are tall, but they just don’t shoot up into the air. They twist and turn and are beautiful in their gnarly way. I miss the tall trees back in Virginia, though, and I’ve never had the opportunity to see the really tall ones in the west in person. They’re beautiful in pictures.

Are your other trees handling the heat and drought okay? I seem to recall that you have fruit trees. Cherry? Apricot? Apple?

Rain barrels don't help much here when during the summer we get very little or no rain for a couple of months. We would need a large multi-thousand gallon cistern to cover our agricultural needs.

The trees grow tall here. We are surrounded by 100+ ft trees. My mom loved them. I wanted to put in an agricultural well when we moved in, but my wife nixed the idea as too expensive and the risk of a dry well.

Yes, we have several fruit trees, some very old and some young. We have several varieties of apples. The oldest is the King, which shows up on the 1936 aerial shots of the property. There also is a shay, william's pride, liberty, macoun, gravenstein, enterprise, and cosmic crisp. We have some pears, cherries, a pluot, peaches, plums, and apricots too. Normally we don't get many apricots because they bloom so early and there are no pollinators flying about. We're having a low fruit year for the same reason due to the cold wet spring. That and the deer ate several young apples and their leaves during their raids in spring.

Rain barrels don't help much here when during the summer we get very little or no rain for a couple of months. We would need a large multi-thousand gallon cistern to cover our agricultural needs.

The trees grow tall here. We are surrounded by 100+ ft trees. My mom loved them. I wanted to put in an agricultural well when we moved in, but my wife nixed the idea as too expensive and the risk of a dry well.

Yes, we have several fruit trees, some very old and some young. We have several varieties of apples. The oldest is the King, which shows up on the 1936 aerial shots of the property. There also is a shay, william's pride, liberty, macoun, gravenstein, enterprise, and cosmic crisp. We have some pears, cherries, a pluot, peaches, plums, and apricots too. Normally we don't get many apricots because they bloom so early and there are no pollinators flying about. We're having a low fruit year for the same reason due to the cold wet spring. That and the deer ate several young apples and their leaves during their raids in spring.

When we moved to Texas we had two homemade rain barrels that came with us. 55 gallons and 35 gallons, I believe. We used them for years in Virginia. It took us less than one year of living in Texas to realize that we needed to store a lot more water. We’ve accumulated five more rain tanks and can now store upwards of 3,000 gallons. With all that I’m probably down to under 500 gallons at this point. We need more rain. I think you’ve mentioned, though, that you live in a rain shadow and only get like 16 inches a year?

I had no idea you had quite so many fruit trees, Begreen. That’s really neat that your King variety is in photos from 1936. Your Cosmic Crisp must be pretty young. That type of apple has just appeared in our grocery stores this summer, and it has become my husband’s favorite. That’s good news because it’s usually the least expensive unless something else is on sale. I think the trees are only available to folks in Washington State at this point. I read, though, that they expect it to replace Red Delicious in the future.

We have a few fruit trees in our backyard—apple, pear, peach, loquat, mandarin orange—but we’ve never gotten either apples or pears. We’ve gotten occasional peaches, loquats, and oranges, but it’s more the exception than the rule. We’ve thought about planting some other apples, Pink Lady or Anna since they need fewer chill hours, but we’ve not committed to it. We did plant four pomegranates to create a hedge a few years ago where we had to take out some diseased Photinia, and those are starting to get bigger this year. I don’t know when they might start blooming.