2023/24

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
I finished up my wood supply for 2023-24. My son and I have been on the scrounge for a little bit and finished it up the first week in April. 2023 is looking pretty good. This is the first time my son got to run the 630. It's got a 1YD bucket on it, he thought it was totally cool. I'll be cutting, splitting and stacking this wood come January. this pile is a mix of oak and cherry. Post a pic of your supply for 23-24 no matter if its split or not.
20200411_150253.jpg
20200411_150353.jpg
20200411_151034.jpg

I started this winter collecting for next winter, and am now set thru 2022-23. My 2023-24 pile is still laying/standing in the woods.

How about 2034-2035?? LOL

Reactions: JimBear
I just got my wood split for 23/24 it's all red oak. If it will quit raining so much maybe I can get it stacked.

Im in the same boat as sarge, 2022 isn't looking good right now either but I plan on rectifying that this summer.

Im in the same boat as sarge, 2022 isn't looking good right now either but I plan on rectifying that this summer.
I see people post that they work on their wood supply in summer. I think I would fined that difficult. All the leaves on the trees making it hard to scout out the wood as well as the humidity and ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes. I don't think I would get as much done. Me personally I like to harvest my wood in February through early April keeping it in log lenth then split it up the following January. To me wood is so much more enjoyable in the cooler weather.. You will also cut down your seasoning time by doing the work in cooler weather and letting it season in the warmer months.

I see people post that they work on their wood supply in summer. I think I would fined that difficult. All the leaves on the trees making it hard to scout out the wood as well as the humidity and ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes. I don't think I would get as much done. Me personally I like to harvest my wood in February through early April keeping it in log lenth then split it up the following January. To me wood is so much more enjoyable in the cooler weather.. You will also cut down your seasoning time by doing the work in cooler weather and letting it season in the warmer months.

I agree with you 100% that processing firewood is much more enjoyable in the cooler temperatures however that isn't always an option. Aside from other life commitments that get in the way, some of the areas I rely on for scrounging firewood (depending on the snowfall and when some forest service roads are opened) aren't even accessible until June. Likewise, sometimes those roads stay open until late November or early December however sometimes they close in early October, so scrounging firewood, unfortunately, can occur during the summer for me. Normally I don't split and stack until the fall though to take advantage of cooler weather and any timber scrounged over the winter gets split in late spring after mud season. May and June are the worst with black flies and mosquitos but since there is such a short window for accessibility some years, you just have to suck it up and sweat it out (literally...suck up a lot of water with electrolytes and sweat it right back out).

I agree with you 100% that processing firewood is much more enjoyable in the cooler temperatures however that isn't always an option. Aside from other life commitments that get in the way, some of the areas I rely on for scrounging firewood (depending on the snowfall and when some forest service roads are opened) aren't even accessible until June. Likewise, sometimes those roads stay open until late November or early December however sometimes they close in early October, so scrounging firewood, unfortunately, can occur during the summer for me. Normally I don't split and stack until the fall though to take advantage of cooler weather and any timber scrounged over the winter gets split in late spring after mud season. May and June are the worst with black flies and mosquitos but since there is such a short window for accessibility some years, you just have to suck it up and sweat it out (literally...suck up a lot of water with electrolytes and sweat it right back out).
I agree with you on sometimes your stuck doing in in non optimal times.. I myself was working on my wood supply into July one year to ge ahead. It sucked big time. It was hot, humid, and the bugs were the worst.. My son likes the way we donit now.. The woods already at the house, splitting in January. Back on the scrounge in late February through April. I gotta agree with him.. I feel like I'm doing it more at my Leisure, and when the weather permits..

I agree with you on sometimes your stuck doing in in non optimal times.. I myself was working on my wood supply into July one year to ge ahead. It sucked big time. It was hot, humid, and the bugs were the worst.. My son likes the way we donit now.. The woods already at the house, splitting in January. Back on the scrounge in late February through April. I gotta agree with him.. I feel like I'm doing it more at my Leisure, and when the weather permits..

Yeah, the more years ahead you get, the more you have the luxury of picking and choosing when to process firewood. I thought I was close to being two years ahead however I'm still burning (and we're supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow over the next 48 hours) so I'm using more this season than I had hoped. At this point, I'll be glad if I get to the two-year ahead point however that will require the scrounging of at least 8 more cords so summer processing will be a must.

I like processing firewood when it is dry out. Those days of getting muddy and everything covered in mud doesn't seem like fun. But I do like processing wood when it is frozen out as well. Lately the springs and falls here have been very wet. I am a fan of the heat to begin with so splitting in June and July doesn't bother me. As they say though you make hay when the sun shines. You have to do what you have to do when time is available. In the first pic the two piles in the back on the left are all 6-8 foot logs ash and locust, and in the second pic the stuff in the top left is the same all locust. It might not be for 23/24 but it is for the coming years.
20200419_171532.jpg20200425_183010.jpg

3ydexj.jpg

I'm behind a bit this year as well. Due to the Covid crisis I can't go out to where I'd normally cut trees. And my last log load from the tree companies was back in Jan. I'm ok for 2021 and 2022, but not much beyond that.

I'm pretty much at capacity on my property with 16 cords. If I burn 4 per winter that'd get me through 2024, but I think it might be more than 4 per year.