2024 Wildfire Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
We're off again, a week later than last year but same story. No considerable precipation for the last few months, high winds and hot dry weather.

Here's smoke from a fire taken from our upstairs that got started this afternoon.

We need rain, or we're going to blanket North America in smoke again for another summer.

2024 Wildfire Season

• Sad
Reactions: begreen
We could have the smoke from the wildfires this week, we'll see how bad they are.

My brother was quite far north of Whitehorse last week. Internet was down because of a BC fire that damaged a fiber cable.

Going to be another Smokey summer I predict . May be the coming La Niña will change some larger scale patterns but I think it will be too late for this summer.

We are to start to see smoke this afternoon and Eastern Ontario is a long way from BC

Reactions: stoveliker
My brother was quite far north of Whitehorse last week. Internet was down because of a BC fire that damaged a fiber cable.

The only fiber optic cable to the Yukon passes through Fort Nelson, where the fires are in BC, and where the smoke originated in my second picture. Essentially the cable is just layed in the ditch beside the Alaska highway. I was up in Whitehorse a couple years ago when a truck went off the road severing the cable. Only communication in or out was text messages, and they took about an hour to go through.

Yeah he said it was the only connection.