27 ton huskee.need to know how to change hydraulic oil as i dont know if the guy used atf or hydraulic oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gogiburn

Dec 7, 2007
nj
i lent my splitter to a guy up the street and gave him my maintenence manual and he lost it. want to change filter and hydraulic oil but dont know how .cant find on utube hard to even find 27 ton everything is 22 ton.

Change the filter leave the oil,unless you are changing to a better oil in the cold.
A splitter will never wear out the oil so long as it doesn't get moisture in it.

Reactions: kevin j
there's no need to change the hydraulic oil unless there's water in it or its wrong for the season. The filter is usually not listed in the manual. Your going to need to look at the filter, get the numbers off it and match it up. I changed my filter and put a nappa filter..

I use ATF in my hydrolic oil all the time.
My splitter is on straight ATF because it flows better in the cold.I can start my splitter at -20C and be splitting within minutes once the engine warms up. Synthetic oil and a Honda for the win.

Echoing the above.

Why do you want to change it? I would only do that if it is contaminated. Like with water.

And also, ATF is fine for a splitter. Its factory recommended for mine.

I've been running ATF for years even when I was advised on this forum not to because it may ruin my seals. That just doesn't make sense to me. All these years later my splitter is still going strong with no leaks.

I've been running ATF for years even when I was advised on this forum not to because it may ruin my seals. That just doesn't make sense to me. All these years later my splitter is still going strong with no leaks.

I don't remember anyone saying that about ATF. But could have.

I ran my Northern Tool circa 1991 splitter on the same hydraulic oil until 2016 or 2017 before I changed it "just because". The old oil was milky but I never had a problem with it and the splitter runs the same now with the "new" oil as it always did. Plus mine doesn't have a filter. Original Briggs & Stratton engine gave up the ghost long before the oil change and the Honda GX200's have been real workhorses as replacements.

I don't remember anyone saying that about ATF. But could have.
It was several years back. I thought it was funny since my older transmissions have seals, orings, and rubber cooler lines.

Reactions: salecker