30-NC Blower, and freestanding stove blowers in general

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creek-Chub

Nov 13, 2007
Niles, MI
Ok guys. Lower single digit temps here, and I'm loving the new blower on my 30-NC. One question about operation though:

When at the end of a cycle, upon reloading, do you guys shut the blower off/down until the stove comes back up to temp, or leave it on?

I shut mine off until the stove top is back up to around 400. Just a personal preference thing since it blows over the stove collar and cools it. Since mine is in a fireplace I can't monitor pipe temps. Until the stove is back up to temp the blower is just creating a draft in the room.

Kind of what I was thinking. Mine is in the fireplace as well, but with weather like we're having now I don't let it get much below 300, so it's still putting off heat. I was just curious if keeping it on maybe prolonged the length of time it takes to heat back up, but I suppose it's all relative. Thanks.

I can access my stove all around, and the first three feet of the flue. I leave the blower where it is, from the time I first turn it on (when the stove first gets to 400F), till I shut it down for the night.

Though the blower moves a lot of air, the stove puts out so much heat when it's going that I'm not convinced the blower makes that big a dent in the stove temp, at least on mine. And once the stove is hot, reloading takes off pretty fast, so I haven't seen the need to fiddle with the blower. I'm usually preoccupied fiddling with the air inlet.

I don't have a blower for my stove, but I do have a fan in a floor register above the stove. It moves the air from the basement upstairs quite effectively.

Anyway, it's on a thermostat. So it automatically shuts off if the basement falls below about 70 degrees. Its the kind that's used for attic exhaust fans -- adjustable from 60 to over 100 degrees. You could do the same thing with the stove blower, and have it shut off when the stove is no longer producing enough heat to justify it.

rayza said:
Konrad said:
I don't have a blower for my stove, but I do have a fan in a floor register above the stove. It moves the air from the basement upstairs quite effectively.

A fan in a floor register ? Where did you get that ? And does it work as simply as it sounds ?

Yep. Pretty simple. In a house fire it will blow the fire right up there with you.

Don't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.