3TDIC-2AP Top Baffle Warped?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

orri

Jan 14, 2024
Nederland, Colorado
My top baffle fell down and after staring at diagrams for a long time, it seems like it was installed incorrectly when we bought the house and has also been severely warped.

Based on the picture here, it looks like it should be straight: https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/WoodCoalParts/Baffles/Cast/Product/JotulTopBaffle2012x778

Mine is far from straight as can be seen in this picture:
IMG_6798.jpg

Should it be completely straight? I'm not finding any images of this stove online that show the top baffle.

The best I've been able to do to fit it in the stove is to set it on top of the back baffle. Is that correct? How far from the back should the back baffle be?

If the above mounting is not correct, how should I be making use of the mounting features that I have circled in green and purple in this picture?
IMG_6797 Copy Copy.JPG

This is my first foray into owning and managing a wood burning stove, so any help would be appreciated.

That baffle is badly warped. Any way you can get it roughly in place is probably good enough. The bigger question is why I did it warp and is it worth replacing?

Reactions: bigealta
I just ordered the replacement one and still wonder exactly where it goes.

Based on what I’ve been reading, it probably got warped because we ran the stove with the ash-bin door open and the stove got too hot. It was already warped before we purchased it but we made it worse.

Now I need to figure out where the new one mounts and how to get it in there. It looks like I’ll have to tear the stove apart to do that. I’d love to not have to do that.

Reactions: MainelySweeps
I just ordered the replacement one and still wonder exactly where it goes.

Based on what I’ve been reading, it probably got warped because we ran the stove with the ash-bin door open and the stove got too hot. It was already warped before we purchased it but we made it worse.

Now I need to figure out where the new one mounts and how to get it in there. It looks like I’ll have to tear the stove apart to do that. I’d love to not have to do that.
Were you ever able to figure out how the baffle mounts? I'm working on the same stove and it seems like it just sits in but that also doesn't make it super secure.