4 inch damper and 6 inch pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxed_out

Jan 19, 2010
Central Pa
Just thought I'd ask those that have traveled this road before I re-invent the wheel.

Started tackling the replacement of my vcde with a qf isle royale. vcde used a 8 inch oval setup that fit thru the damper (once the damper plate was removed) in our fireplace.

The ir is a 6 inch round setup. I'd like to use 6" SS flex, but I cant figure out how I'm going to get that thru the 4.5 (actual) wide damper. Theres plenty of room for the pipe above and below the damper and into the flue. Just the damper is going to be a choke point.

So the question is how do you guys recommend I do this? Cut the damper-with what? Looks like some heavy duty steel. Get a fitting? Use 6 inch oval instead of round? I dont think removing the entire damper is an option because of how the chimney was done 70 years ago.

Thanks for your opinions.

OK, slept on it, does anyone know if you can get something like this in stainless? I'm thinking 2 mating pieces with the rectangular box fitting thru the damper. Am I all wet here?

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 194
Status
Not open for further replies.