5502m questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JAustinBlack

Nov 25, 2018
New Jersey
Hey there,new to this whole deal, so I hope I’m posting in the right place! Have had wood stoves my whole life, but just got a King Pellet Stove 5502m. It’s been burning great but just have some questions about it.

1.)My hopper ran empty last night and the pellets in the burn bin smoldered and the room the pellet stove is in smelled strongly of smoke. Just wondering if that is normal or not. It doesn’t smell any other time just when it runs out on it’s own

2.) It also seems as if the pellet stove can’t keep up with the amount of pellets being released. The burning bin is 3/4 of the way full relatively quick. Just curious if that is normal or if I should mess with the settings some more.

Any input is appreciated, thank ya!
-James

1. Yup. By burn bin you mean the burn pot in the stove? The way the auger is designed on these, smoke will get up there if the stove kicks off for low temp (out of fuel Er 2). That shut off is controlled by the exhaust house temp sensor. The smoke is caused by the few pellets in the pot smoldering after the exhaust fan kicks off. Annoying, but normal.

2. Is this just at startup or all the time? Normal at first ignition, not normal during normal operation.

These stoves typically need their feed rates adjusted once you get them home. The factory settings aren't always great if your pellets are drastically different than the ones used for their testing.

Does your glass stay fairly clean? White haze is fine, asking more about black glass.

Reactions: FirepotPete
1. Yup. By burn bin you mean the burn pot in the stove? The way the auger is designed on these, smoke will get up there if the stove kicks off for low temp (out of fuel Er 2). That shut off is controlled by the exhaust house temp sensor. The smoke is caused by the few pellets in the pot smoldering after the exhaust fan kicks off. Annoying, but normal.

2. Is this just at startup or all the time? Normal at first ignition, not normal during normal operation.

These stoves typically need their feed rates adjusted once you get them home. The factory settings aren't always great if your pellets are drastically different than the ones used for their testing.

Does your glass stay fairly clean? White haze is fine, asking more about black glass.

I had it on automatic for the first few days, just seeing what the stove would do. But now I’m dialing it in manually and it seems to be running a lot better.
As far as the glass goes, I vacuumed out the stove 2 days ago, and have had it running at 2-3 ever since. There is some black at the top but only goes about an inch down.

I had it on automatic for the first few days, just seeing what the stove would do. But now I’m dialing it in manually and it seems to be running a lot better.
As far as the glass goes, I vacuumed out the stove 2 days ago, and have had it running at 2-3 ever since. There is some black at the top but only goes about an inch down.

So I shut the stove off around 4, went outside to do some stuff and came back in an hour later and smoke was pouring out of the door of the stove where the vent is. I opened all my windows and turned the fans on.
The burn pot was full with burnt pellets and there were unburnt pellets all around the burn pot housing. I’ve been cleaning the stove often, but could I not be doing it often enough?

Did you buy the stove new?

One question...when you did shut it off...was it still on manual settings?
Cause whenyou tinkered with the draft fan on manual, the smake etc is normal when stove dies or is in ignition mode...since in turn off or inginition mode it would go full speed to have all the smoke vented outside...but since you tinkered it to manual, it cannot speed up to whats needed...learned that by filling livingroom with smoke myself...
i changed the auto preset settings to what i woudl do manual...and now i am happy

One question...when you did shut it off...was it still on manual settings?
Cause whenyou tinkered with the draft fan on manual, the smake etc is normal when stove dies or is in ignition mode...since in turn off or inginition mode it would go full speed to have all the smoke vented outside...but since you tinkered it to manual, it cannot speed up to whats needed...learned that by filling livingroom with smoke myself...
i changed the auto preset settings to what i woudl do manual...and now i am happy

Yeah it was still in manual. That totally makes sense to me though. So you just switch it back to auto before you shut it down??

Yupp...thats what i did...but then, thanks to the help here in the forum, i was able to change the presets in the stove to meet the changes, i would have done manual, and now my stove does it on auto as i want...

Yupp...thats what i did...but then, thanks to the help here in the forum, i was able to change the presets in the stove to meet the changes, i would have done manual, and now my stove does it on auto as i want...

Awesome, I’ll give it a whirl next time I shut down! Thanks so much!