$6,000 for a PE Neo 2.5 + liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SecondaryBurn

Sep 21, 2016
Midwest
Hi all, I've been to this forum many times (and have learned quite a bit!) but only recently registered. I wanted to gain some consensus regarding an estimate I received for a wood burning insert, because, while it was in the range of what some told me to expect and the quote came from a reputable, authorized dealer, I also feel like parts of the estimate are a tad on the pricey side (namely the liner):

PE Neo 2.5 - $2,800
Ovalized insulated liner, ~17-20' $1,200
Installation and permits - $1,800

total (with tax): ~$6,000

A little about the fireplace/chimney: masonry fireplace, interior chimney (runs through the attic) with clay flue, no anticipated modifications to hearth or firebox is required, other than removal of the damper. Flue was cleaned a year ago and not used since, has some bends that I imagine will make the liner install a little more tricky.

Thoughts?

Is that for an insulated liner? I recently paid around $900 for a 6" 20' round pre-insulated liner. I'm not sure what the cost difference is for an ovalized one. If you can find out what type of liner it is you can do some on-line comparing and see if the price is reasonable.
Your installation cost seems pretty high too. Call around to some other places and get some ballpark estimates. FWIW I spent around $700 for an install

Hi SecondaryBurn and welcome. Why not try the installation yourself? Are you handy, can you do basic home maintenance ? You can buy the liner online and ask for advice on this site. Also you tube is your friend.

I paid $530 for 15 foot single wall kit. Should be here Friday. Comes with insulation, but I have to wrap it myself. The pre insulated stuff is spendy. Just for shts and giggles, you should see what a kit from Rockford chimney supply costs. Simply choose liners, then shape, then length, then accessories. Easy peasy. Then I'd order that, and have them installed it if you're still not into doing it yourself. That's $600 you'll save right there.

I agree the install price seems excessive but I don't do this for a living. The job does not seem that difficult to me but your particular circumstances may be more so. I am installing a couple liners and a couple stoves over the next few weeks and I actually enjoy the work. But not sure of your physical abilities, obviously if you are a bit older, getting on a roof may be absolutely out of the question.

I agree with the others. If you can do the install, get a buddy or two to help. Me my father and little brother just did my pacific energy summit insert install, insulated liner and all only took a couple hours from start to finish. If not able to go this route call for some prices, it can't hurt to look around.

OK guys yes some installs may be very easy and if this is one of them you are right the install price is very high. But some are much more complex and the price goes up accordingly. Even if it is a harder one it does still sound high but I have not seen the house I don't know the situation. The liner price seems right to me And honestly as a pro I will never install a liner supplied by the homeowner unless I know and trust the manufacturer. I am putting my name on that install and if I don't trust the materials I will not do that. We also will not install light wall for a wood stove so that runs our price up as well. To the op I would get a couple more quotes I am betting you will get it cheaper. But don't go to cheap you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
All, thanks for the responses.

@ejn327 Yes, the quote was for an insulated oval liner. Unfortunately the estimate wasn't heavy on details, and my absent mind didn't think to press for details at the time the gentleman was at my house. All he added was that it was special order (because they didn't stock oval liners). I'm kicking myself for forgetting the dimensions of the flue that he mentioned, although I could just as well get up there, unscrew the cap and measure, myself.

Other than being ham fisted and on the clumsy side, I'm somewhat handy but I also feel like I'm oversimplifying it in my head if I just assume it'll be as easy as shoving a liner down the chimney and connecting everything together. The gentleman who provided the quote said that my flue had some bends and it would be a little trickier than usual getting the liner down.

Taking the sage advice here, I expanded the search radius for authorized PE dealers and contacted several for estimates. I was hoping to be able to order and pay for one before 10/1 to take advantage of their current $200 rebate, so we'll see! I'll keep you posted.

Maybe consider having a certified sweep install or at least provide a quote? Enter your zipcode here to locate local certified sweeps:
www.csia.org

Maybe consider having a certified sweep install or at least provide a quote? Enter your zipcode here to locate local certified sweeps:
www.csia.org
It's a great suggestion and I may try again: the first time I did, the gentleman I spoke with was rather brusque and basically said the people I buy my stove from will do the installation. Maybe I'll find a more enterprising person on the second go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.