6 way wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I've been using my ax, wedge, and Harbor Freight log splitter for years now and while I enjoy splitting wood...I enjoy fishing more!

I was thinking about picking up one of these Rugged Made 6 way wedge to make my splitting time go faster. They sure seem awfully expensive though...

I appreciate your opinions and/or other suggestions.

Depends on what ton rating(size) splitter you have and what species wood you are splitting. Those factors will determine if you will have issues with the 6 way wedge.

You do know that those are designed for wedge on beam style splitters? It won’t slip past the hydro cylinder of a wedge on shuttle design.

Reactions: begreen
My splitter is 17-21 tons, depending on how high I set the relief. (3000-3500 psi)
I have a 4 way on it and it will split everything but the very toughest pieces.
I also made a 4 way and 6 way for Troy Brown.

The key to a good multi wedge is having the wedges in stages. Mine hits the vertical wedge first, and the wings are about 1.5" behind that, so the wood gets a chance to split before hitting the next set. It would take 50 tons to split the wood if the wood hit all the wedges at the same time. I know because I tried making a 4 way years ago and didn't set the wings back. It would not split, it just wouldn't go. The 4 and 6 way wedges I made for Troy work great. The 6 way has the main vertical wedge, then the lower wings, and then the top wings. It doesn't take any more power than a single wedge.

Reactions: Firefighter44
I have a 4 way wedge on my 20 ton DHT splitter. I use it on occasion. I am very particularl on how I split. I split alot of square and rectangle as to fill the box for maximum burn time. I mostly use the 4 way with the smaller rounds like 10/12inches and under, this is where the 4 way shines and shaves time off splitting. Running a 4 way through rounds 18/20 inches... just makes it tougher to work with

Reactions: Firefighter44
. I am very particularl on how I split. I split alot of square and rectangle as to fill the box for maximum burn time.
I do the same! Triangles are so annoying sometimes. An adjustable box wedge design would be ideal IMO. 4 or 6 ways are great for some people, but don't think I'll bother with one. I'm too obsessive about aiming the wedge exactly where I want it.

I do the same! Triangles are so annoying sometimes. An adjustable box wedge design would be ideal IMO. 4 or 6 ways are great for some people, but don't think I'll bother with one. I'm too obsessive about aiming the wedge exactly where I want it.

the 4 way has its place. and it really does cut down on time which is why I have it. I dont need to split square all the time.. in fact most all the day burns are with whatever wood I put in, uglys pie shaped, I only need the better split stuff for night burns. As Im cutting to rounds Ill separate out the ones for the 4 way.. its definitely faster if you have the set up.. 1 push gets you 4 pieces.

It depends too on your in feed and out feed of wood. I can split with a 4 way on big and small rounds, but if I can’t move the wood away fast enough after it’s split, there’s no point. I’m much faster at times, using the single wedge and flipping the one piece off onto a pile.

if I have one person on the lever, me lining up rounds to be split and throwing off the split pieces, and a third stacking, I can go 4 way all day.