72 TRILLION cords of firewood?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tymbee

Dec 2, 2011
Upstate NY
So I'm watching this Netflix series where they're talking about our sun. They've figured out that if you wanted to build a fire that would have lasted as long as the energy in the sun that it would take 72 TRILLION cords of firewood or about 12,000 cords for each man, woman and child on the planet.

They also calculated that if you built a fire with wood the size of our sun (About 1.3 million Earths could fit inside the sun) and had enough oxygen to burn it, it would only last about 5 or 6 thousand years.

Well, uh... besides the obvious point that some scientists might have just a bit too much time on their hands, to me there's a lot of missing info in these statements! For example, they didn't say what KIND of wood they were talking about. Or, how seasoned the wood was. Or how tightly stacked these cords are. Or if the wood was stacked off the ground, top covered, facing south, etc. etc.

I'm certainly no scientist, but c'mon guys. A little more info here would give your calculations a lot more credibility.

That's about what I use every winter
Well it feels like that

Reactions: Grizzerbear
This got me thinking... how many firewood cords worth of energy does the sun emit every second?

The math is pretty straightforward... lets say we take a cord of typical hardwood... lets say 25 million BTUs... theres about 1000 Joules in a BTU so thats gives us 25 billion Joules of energy per typical hardwood cord... which is 2.5*10^10 because we are going to need to be in scientific notation for this next bit. Stars are downright scary when you try to compare them with human-scale energy.

The sun emits about 4*10^26 Joules every second. Divide that by 2.5*10^10 joules per cord... and we are left with about 1.6*10^16 cords. 16,000 trillion cords. Or 16 quadrillion.

The sun emits 16,000 trillion cords of wood worth of energy. Per second.

Reactions: DiBurn90
I suppose that's trillions-- with a "T"?
[drives me crazy when people feel compelled to say things like: "That's billions... with a "B". As if listeners are too dense to grasp such a large number] !!!

Granted that scientific notation is less messy, but you can't deny using a number with a whole bunch of zeros after it is more impressive. :)

But I digress... bottom line being that's one helluva lot of firewood!

Wrap your heads around this, before the dinosaurs roamed the earth, the earth apparently had close to 200ft of dead fall tree's, apparently funguses were not developed yet to aid in decay, so many spots had huge forest fires and stuff.

I suppose that's trillions-- with a "T"?
[drives me crazy when people feel compelled to say things like: "That's billions... with a "B". As if listeners are too dense to grasp such a large number] !!!

Granted that scientific notation is less messy, but you can't deny using a number with a whole bunch of zeros after it is more impressive. :)

But I digress... bottom line being that's one helluva lot of firewood!
When I explain what a billion is to people I always say this... 1 million seconds is close to 11.5 days time, 1 billion seconds is almost 32 years worth of time. That usually snaps a couple heads.