$8000 liner install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok I'm going to get a couple more bids. I already own the stove so I'm stuck with it. The 26% credit will help a little. This King better kick out some serious heat after going through all of this.

Thanks for the help guys.

You can sell the New stove. Probably get close to what you paid in this market.

It will need to be an oval liner to allow for insulation though
Even an un-insulated stainless 6" with caps on both ends will be much better than running into clay, if it came to that. But my installer managed to get a 6" smoothwall liner with blanket wrap and wire up thru an 8" ID round clay flue. It was a short and straight shot, and I know they struggled a bit with it, but they got it done. I think the blanket was less than 1" thick.

Ok I'm going to get a couple more bids. I already own the stove so I'm stuck with it. The 26% credit will help a little. This King better kick out some serious heat after going through all of this.

Thanks for the help guys.
Is the stove new or used? If new I'd be calling the dealer to see what can be worked out, it's likely they have another customer than could use that King.

Even an un-insulated stainless 6" with caps on both ends will be much better than running into clay, if it came to that. But my installer managed to get a 6" smoothwall liner with blanket wrap and wire up thru an 8" ID round clay flue. It was a short and straight shot, and I know they struggled a bit with it, but they got it done. I think the blanket was less than 1" thick.
Yes but this isn't 8" round I'd. It's a modern 8x12 which is probably 7x11 inside. Half the time a bare liner won't fit down. And the blanket typically 1/2"

Reactions: Ashful
Not really an option for 8". You will need oval anyway though so it can be insulated even with breakout
Duraliner 8" insulated oval liner is 4.75" x 10.75". Looks close, but tight. If a 6" liner stove like the big Regency 3500 is chosen, then a Duraliner 6" oval liner will definitely fit without the breakout of the tiles.

Reactions: bholler
Your clay tile flue looks to be in pretty good shape at the bottom. See if you can inspect the rest of it and if it’s ok I think I’d try the King on it as is. You can always reline it later.

Pardon my ignorance , but why is an 8x12 flue not big enough? It calls for an 8" flue.
The opposite, it is oversized at 72 sq in vs 50 sq in for an 8" round pipe, but it's not horribly oversized.

Pardon my ignorance , but why is an 8x12 flue not big enough? It calls for an 8" flue.
It’s big enough, may be a tad too big but it may also work just fine depending on other variables. What’s the height?

Bigalta beat me to it. Your price for that liner may be half (or less), if you just choose a 6" stove. Buy yourself a BK Princess, slam a 6" corrugated liner up thru that clay flue (no knock-out required), and enjoy the heat.

The King has mind-blowing burn times, but the Princess is the same tech with a smaller fuel tank, and a 6" flue.

The opposite, it is oversized at 72 sq in vs 50 sq in for an 8" round pipe, but it's not horribly oversized.
Oh ok. I read his post wrong.

At 32' height, a bigger issue may be excess draft.

Ya, at 32 feet... in Pennsylvania, you're going to spend all that money on a liner, then you're going to spend more money installing a damper to cut some of the draft you just made, then probably even more money on staples to hold the carpet on the floor, because that thing is still going to be sucking air like a hoover! Plus, you're doing an 8" pipe into an 8x12 flue, so I believe someone said above ~50 square inches 'supposed to have' into 70 square inches actual. That's pretty darn close. Not like putting a 6" pipe into a 12x16 flue which is grossly oversized.

If you were 12-14 feet and in warmer climate, south of the Mason-Dixon or Maui, or somewhere, then it might be an issue.

Ya, at 32 feet... in Pennsylvania, you're going to spend all that money on a liner, then you're going to spend more money installing a damper to cut some of the draft you just made, then probably even more money on staples to hold the carpet on the floor, because that thing is still going to be sucking air like a hoover! Plus, you're doing an 8" pipe into an 8x12 flue, so I believe someone said above ~50 square inches 'supposed to have' into 70 square inches actual. That's pretty darn close. Not like putting a 6" pipe into a 12x16 flue which is grossly oversized.

If you were 12-14 feet and in warmer climate, south of the Mason-Dixon or Maui, or somewhere, then it might be an issue.
But it isn't insulated which on a tall chimney can lead to big creosote issues. Strength of draft is only one of the many variables involved.

That’s pretty tall but if the rest of your chimney looks as good as the bottom I’d try it as is first.
You can't see condition of the chimney at all it's covered I a layer of coal ash. I don't think it is responsible at all to be giving the advice to try it as is when we have so little info

You can't see condition of the chimney at all it's covered I a layer of coal ash. I don't think it is responsible at all to be giving the advice to try it as is when we have so little info
Your right, what I ment was if the chimney is in good shape (properly inspected) why not try the king on it?

You can sell the New stove. Probably get close to what you paid in this market.
You might get more!! We are 12 weeks out for delivery as of today on that model.

I have an inside chimney if that makes a difference.
Not really. It also increases the clearance requirements to 2" from the outside of the masonry structure to combustibles

Screw it. Im hooking it up as is. Im not paying 8k to tear out a perfectly good clay liner. Will consult you guys on my install. First problem I see is my thimble is 7.75".

Screw it. Im hooking it up as is. Im not paying 8k to tear out a perfectly good clay liner. Will consult you guys on my install. First problem I see is my thimble is 7.75".
As we have all said it shouldn't cost 8k. And may be perfectly safe as is. We have no way of knowing. Does it have the required clearance to combustibles?