$8000 liner install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would get another quote on the chimney.

I too am switching form coal to wood. The house we're moving to we are remodeling. We had a new masonry chimney (30+ft) built in March for $3600. We were going to continue to burn coal, but now we're stuck with a new chimney and going wood. We have a 8" round flue with a 6" thimble and I'm going to run it as is in hopes of finding a good chimney sweep local. If it were 8x12 liner I would be looking for a quote on a new chimney liner same as you.

But it isn't insulated which on a tall chimney can lead to big creosote issues. Strength of draft is only one of the many variables involved.
True - and definitely something to keep an eye on. But $8000 will pay for a lot of flue cleaning and the BKK40 / catalyst should help minimize that, anyway. ...at least if some of the tales on here are to be believed! Trying to think of the 'best' story I heard... something like a thimble full of creosote after 3 seasons burning !?! lol.

Reactions: Hoytman
True - and definitely something to keep an eye on. But $8000 will pay for a lot of flue cleaning and the BKK40 / catalyst should help minimize that, anyway. ...at least if some of the tales on here are to be believed! Trying to think of the 'best' story I heard... something like a thimble full of creosote after 3 seasons burning !?! lol.
Again $8000 is way out of line. And cat or not, if the exhaust cools too much you will have big problems with creosote. Even with an insulated liner, it can be an issue especially if run low and slow all the time.

Madden, do note that you and bholler are both in PA. It's a big state, but there's some chance you might be in his service area. Might be worth getting a quote from him.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Ok thanks. Bholler do you service Adams County?
Nope that's just a little out of my service area. Duncannon is about as far as I go your direction

Bholler, can you recommend a CSIA/NCSG Sweep in his area?

Reactions: Hoytman
So I bought a blaze king and asked them to give me a quote on install. They say they need to remove clay tiles and reline it. 8k total. They also said its required to have a stainless steel liner. Is this true? My house is 15 years old and clay flue is in good shape. Wasn't expecting replacing my coal stove with this blaze king would cost me $13,000.

Is this stainless steel liner absolutely necessary
So I bought a blaze king and asked them to give me a quote on install. They say they need to remove clay tiles and reline it. 8k total. They also said its required to have a stainless steel liner. Is this true? My house is 15 years old and clay flue is in good shape. Wasn't expecting replacing my coal stove with this blaze king would cost me $13,000.

Is this stainless steel liner absolutely necessary?
hey, PM me please and I will discuss this with you!

Curious, Why is Clay flue better for Coal stoves?

Curious, Why is Clay flue better for Coal stoves?
Because coal will eat stainless fairly quickly. We usually see 15 years or so from rigid 316. A little less for heavywall 316. And we'll under 10 years for light wall. Clay gets eaten as well but that takes 25 to 30 years

Reactions: bigealta
Got it so basically Acid Rain inside flue from the gasses eats thru the stainless. Thanks

Because coal will eat stainless fairly quickly. We usually see 15 years or so from rigid 316. A little less for heavywall 316. And we'll under 10 years for light wall. Clay gets eaten as well but that takes 25 to 30 years
So then as follow up, The reason Clay is not recommended in general vs stainless for Woodstoves vs Coal is not a heat issue for temps produced by either woodstove or coal stove. But Rather Wood creates creosote where coal creates ash in liners. So the primary risk is woodstove creosote deposits creating chimney fire risks where coal is not posing creosote caused chimney fire risk. Is that generally what's going on with wood vs coal and the liner choices?

Is this stainless steel liner absolutely necessary?
I looked into wood stoves for my house and was told a liner or pipes would run me about $1000 for that alone (25') It all depends on the building codes for your as=rea as well, make sure it is correct because if it isnt the building inspector will condem it and make you remove it or your insurance company will cancel your policy.

So then as follow up, The reason Clay is not recommended in general vs stainless for Woodstoves vs Coal is not a heat issue for temps produced by either woodstove or coal stove. But Rather Wood creates creosote where coal creates ash in liners. So the primary risk is woodstove creosote deposits creating chimney fire risks where coal is not posing creosote caused chimney fire risk. Is that generally what's going on with wood vs coal and the liner choices?
Yes the fire risk is lower with coal. And wood needs to stay above the condensation point as well which is another reason insulation is so important

I looked into wood stoves for my house and was told a liner or pipes would run me about $1000 for that alone (25') It all depends on the building codes for your as=rea as well, make sure it is correct because if it isnt the building inspector will condem it and make you remove it or your insurance company will cancel your policy.
Codes on this stuff really don't vary at all across the USA. And Canada's are pretty similar

The sulfur byproduct of burning coal is very acidic. It's tough on metals. Also, that is why burning coal in an appliance that has a catalytic element can be damaged with the over-plating of the precious metal by the sulfur. Interestingly, a catalytic element with sulfur contamination can be cleared of the coating by burning, of all things,......wood!

The sulfur byproduct of burning coal is very acidic. It's tough on metals. Also, that is why burning coal in an appliance that has a catalytic element can be damaged with the over-plating of the precious metal by the sulfur. Interestingly, a catalytic element with sulfur contamination can be cleared of the coating by burning, of all things,......wood!
Reminds me of a saying we wooden boat owners know: salt water eats trailers, but fresh water eats boats.

Different applications favor different materials.

Reminds me of a saying we wooden boat owners know: salt water eats trailers, but fresh water eats boats.

Different applications favor different materials.
But hitting a big rock eats both!

Reactions: Ashful
But hitting a big rock eats both!
So does forgetting to put your E250 van in park at the boat ramp. I saw one guy do this twice, in the same day, about 30 years ago. First time he caught it in the nick of time, the second time the whole rig went out into the bay.

If the flue liner is smaller then the clay liner, they don’t have to remove the clay liner, which is very costly to remove. If they adding the wrap around the liner, making the opening too small, then it’s your option to either wrap the liner or not, unless it’s a requirement in your area or insurance purposes. However, I am not sure why they have to remove a clay liner if it’s in good condition. Just add the liner to the clay. $8000 is way to steep to recover the cost from using the wood stove

If the flue liner is smaller then the clay liner, they don’t have to remove the clay liner, which is very costly to remove. If they adding the wrap around the liner, making the opening too small, then it’s your option to either wrap the liner or not, unless it’s a requirement in your area or insurance purposes. However, I am not sure why they have to remove a clay liner if it’s in good condition. Just add the liner to the clay. $8000 is way to steep to recover the cost from using the wood stove
Because his stove requires an 8" liner which most likely won't fit in their liner and certainly won't with insulation (which in almost all cases is required by code) insulation has nothing to do with insurance. It's about safety, performance, and code compliance.

The insulation will also isolate the stainless from the old coal dust which will eat the stainless from the outside in.

And again $8000 is way high for a liner install even with complicated access and breakout.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKVP