8618 Thermostat hooked to a King Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AmaTami

Oct 22, 2018
West Branch, Michigan
The thermostat is hooked up to the pellet stove but it doesn’t seem to be working properly. It is set for 68 but the actual temperature is ready 76. The limited paper that came with the thermostat states it will send a message of NO heat to the stove but it’s not because it keeps getting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 601
I'm going to be installing the kp130 tomorrow...did you ever receive an answer to this question?

After a bit more reading it looks the stove will not shut off but go to the lowest setting of 1 still producing heat but minimal. My guess is using the thermostat just gives more accuracy of when the stove kicks down to the lowest setting over using the 5 setting side panel.

Last I knew the King stove does just that. When the thermostat calls for no heat, it puts it to the lowest heat range, it doesn't turn the stove off and on as heat is needed.

I modded a King stove once so it would turn on and off with a thermostat (because the lowest heat range was too hot for the house), but it involved building my own circuit board and tapping into the circuit board on the stove.

Last I knew the King stove does just that. When the thermostat calls for no heat, it puts it to the lowest heat range, it doesn't turn the stove off and on as heat is needed.

I modded a King stove once so it would turn on and off with a thermostat (because the lowest heat range was too hot for the house), but it involved building my own circuit board and tapping into the circuit board on the stove.
Do you have any more info on how you made the modifications?

Here is my thread from back then. That was 9 years ago and haven’t seen the stove in that long.

If your stove has a remote control, you can use easier means to accomplish this, like a BroadLink RM4. I use one with my current stove. Along with a cheap WiFi camera to monitor the stove.

Reactions: parkerfamilyfarm
Here is my thread from back then. That was 9 years ago and haven’t seen the stove in that long.

If your stove has a remote control, you can use easier means to accomplish this, like a BroadLink RM4. I use one with my current stove. Along with a cheap WiFi camera to monitor the stove.
I live out and don't have home internet at this point my phone Hotspot is faster than anything I can buy out here so been just using it.

I live out and don't have home internet at this point my phone Hotspot is faster than anything I can buy out here so been just using it.

Not pellet related, but if your hotspot is what works best look in to a company called Nomad Internet. Their service is using cellular routers for internet. It is what I am currently using because I have no other options besides satellite (which is absolutely terrible). Not the most convenient since it is all by mail and if the SIM card in the router goes out you will be down about a week getting a new one…..but it is unlimited with no throttling. Just a thought.

A person at my work is signed up for the Starlink internet beta but still waiting on his equipment. If it works well I will probably be switching to it.

Reactions: parkerfamilyfarm
I just got fiber less than a year ago. Before that it was dialup or hotspot. But the hotspot was seriously limited, couldn’t watch a show with it, and I needed an expensive antenna on my house to get any signal at all.

Forgot to mention. There is the option to use either the T-Mobile/Sprint network or the AT&T network. Not sure who your carrier is or who would give you the best signal.