99 Degrees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in New England and even here I prefer the fall. Its my favorite time of year actually. Id be fine to be put into hibernation and skip over July/August each year.

Today they are predicting a heat index of 104 :(
I live for Fall, Too!! The only consolation for Summer is the vegetables and flowers.
Odd thing, Monday and Tuesday it was in the 90's yet I could handle it. Same temps yesterday and today, but with a dewpoint of over 70%. Made it intolerable.

I loves winter and I look much better with more clothes on.....;)

The price of power in New England is also ramping up. $541 per MWhr wholesale (that's 54 cents a KW for generation only) around 2 PM today. Just wait until the smart meters start to bill residential customers what the actual costs for power are at any given moment.

At least the wind is blowing so the local windmills are actually turning when we need to power.

Still hasn't hit 60F this morning and it's almost noon. We've only hit the low 70s in the past couple afternoons. Such is marine air. I'll be glad when the fulltime sunshine returns. Looks like that will start tomorrow.

Truck thermometer read 79* at 6:30 this morning....and everything was covered in dew...how's THAT for humidity.

Having the heat equivalent of a blizzard. A/C running costing around $40 a month with no hauling fuel in two or three times a day. No ashes to clean out and no having to set up night fires. Don't have to plow and shovel humidity and it never blocks my driveway or knocks down trees on the power lines.

I think I will just go with this for a while.

this kinda heat just makes the hornets that much more fiesty. we've had a pretty nice hot breeze most of the day...the old convection oven technique. I think the pine trees are starting to lean over looking for shade.

102 here with index at 110

I live in New England and even here I prefer the fall. Its my favorite time of year actually. Id be fine to be put into hibernation and skip over July/August each year.
+1

It's so hot out, I saw a dog chasing a cat, and they were both walking.

Way into work @ 5am 80 degrees, the sun hadn't come up YET!!!!

My central air is worth every penny.

KC

Yikes. Are you serious? What do you pay at the meter? Must be a surge in NG costs?

Lots or reasons for high power prices when there is demand. A big factor is the there are chokepoints on some of the external transmission lines. Maine has lots of wind plants and several biomass plants that cant export power into the gird as the lines are too small. I would expect natural gas availability may also be driving up prices. The former Enron traders need to make a buck for whomever hired them ;)

Lots or reasons for high power prices when there is demand. A big factor is the there are chokepoints on some of the external transmission lines. Maine has lots of wind plants and several biomass plants that cant export power into the gird as the lines are too small. I would expect natural gas availability may also be driving up prices. The former Enron traders need to make a buck for whomever hired them ;)
Good time to be off-grid, eh?

Good time to live where we are Sprinter. We are very fortunate here.

Winter: Snowmobiling, watching the fire, reading, movie watching . . . nothing better than to wake up to a freshly fallen snow coating the world around us in pure white, sun glistening off the snow and ice

Spring: Black flies and mud . . . but it has some warm days that tempt you to go outside and seeing the first feline willows, daffodils and tulips of the year is always nice . . . not to mention hearing those spring peepers

Summer: ATVing, geocaching, camping, swimming . . . seeing a sunset some time past 8:30, watching the fire flies, going on a camping trip and watching the stars, waking up with the birds at 4:30 a.m. and seeing a gorgeous sunset . . . or sun rise.

Fall: Ideal for hiking, fewer tourists, changing foliage, fewer bugs . . . there are few things prettier than the riot of color in the classic New England town

I kind of am partial to all the seasons . . . they all have their benefits.

Put the slow cooker on the deck today to cook a roast without adding heat to the house. Usually takes eight to ten hours on low. Darn thing was done in just under five hours.

As usual, you seem to put it all in perspective, FFJake.:)

BBart, WoW

I like all the season and will take the heat as long as we have it. Hot weather seems to come and go way faster than cold. If I could have anything I would like to have daylight longer in the winter months...that's one thing I don't like about winter.

Winter: Snowmobiling, watching the fire, reading, movie watching . . . nothing better than to wake up to a freshly fallen snow coating the world around us in pure white, sun glistening off the snow and ice

Spring: Black flies and mud . . . but it has some warm days that tempt you to go outside and seeing the first feline willows, daffodils and tulips of the year is always nice . . . not to mention hearing those spring peepers

Summer: ATVing, geocaching, camping, swimming . . . seeing a sunset some time past 8:30, watching the fire flies, going on a camping trip and watching the stars, waking up with the birds at 4:30 a.m. and seeing a gorgeous sunset . . . or sun rise.

Fall: Ideal for hiking, fewer tourists, changing foliage, fewer bugs . . . there are few things prettier than the riot of color in the classic New England town

I kind of am partial to all the seasons . . . they all have their benefits.
You'll relate to this Jake. Summer is wildland season, winter is structure season. Fun to be had in all seasons.

Put the slow cooker on the deck today to cook a roast without adding heat to the house. Usually takes eight to ten hours on low. Darn thing was done in just under five hours.
Yowser! That's hot.

The only problem I have with half naked women is that I have a daughter and am dreading the feeling of young teens trying to paw at her someday. Ugh!

I agree with many on here. I like the change each year, but it's the extremes of heat and cold that are not pleasant. Snow is a pain, but I love burning all winter and don't mind the labor.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice forecast tonight,kind of cold for this time of year but feel good.
TonightJul 24

33.png
75°FObserved High1:45 pm
53°F
Mostly C​

Reactions: firecracker_77
Status
Not open for further replies.