A Base To Stack Wood Upon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
what about some treated lumber? I don;t know how long your stacks are, but....

I should have mentioned this in my original post:

My plan is a 3-bay woodshed. Each bay will be 12 X 8...large enough for 4 chords...approximately 1 year supply. While burning the wood from one bay, the other 2 bays will have time to dry...resulting in 2 years of drying for each bay before I burn it.

Anyway, this means I'm looking for a "flooring" system for a 12 X 24 structure. Everything I keep looking at is quite expensive.

I use rocks from the yard and garden. There are piles of rocks all over my property, so I put a partial layer of rocks in the softball size range on the ground and stack on those. They are all odd shapes, so the first layer of wood has to be manouvered a little to make sure it is stable, but after that I stack as usual. The rocks look unstable, and it is tough to walk over the rocks since they are unstable without the wood on top, but once I stack wood on them it seems very stable. It is a little work to move the rocks, since I have to move each one by hand into the wheelbarrow and into position under the wood, but I figure it is permanent and free, and none of the wood is in contact with the ground. After I burn a holz hausen (all my stacks are round holz hausens) I can build another on the same rocks so the work will have to be done only once. if you don't have enough rocks, stop by and I'll give you some.

I'm doing this for the first time this year. I used 2x3's that had been laminated into 3x4's. They're fir, I think, and should thoroughly rot in contact with the ground. But I had gotten a half dozen 10' lengths from an opera I worked on last summer and they've been in my way in the shop for over a year now. So let them serve a purpose while they rot! They came over from Germany - maybe German fir is more rot resistant!

Status
Not open for further replies.