A few questions about Lopi.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
I am once again turning to you folks to answer a few questions. Here is the story. I have found a Lopi stove for sale. I plan on looking at it tomorrow. I talked to the guy on the phone he said it's small. I asked the firebox size and he couldn't tell me. I did some research and see that lopi as been in business for 25 years so they are relatively young. I see the smallest new stove they offer is the lopi answer, it heats up to 1200 square feet. I guess my questions I need answered are the following. Is Lopi a good brand, were all their stoves epa approved, and can they achieve long burn times. By the way the guy said there was firebrick on the bottom of the firebox as well as the top of the inside of the stove. He said it has a blower and there are baffles in the firebox. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

They're fine stoves. Lopi is owned by a company called Travis Industries. You might be able to find some info about this stove by searching their website, but you'll have to know more about the stove. Lopi's been making stoves longer than there have been EPA standards for woodstoves, so, no, not every Lopi stove in existence is an EPA approved stove. Without more information & maybe some pics, there's really not much else I can say about the stove in question. There should be a manufacturer's information plate on the back of the stove. Study that carefully, write down everything it says on it, or better yet take a picture of it. That will help a lot. Rick

I have a Lopi Endeavor, which features a 2.2 cubic foot fire box. The interior is lined with fire brick, and the baffle also uses fire brick which rest on steel baffle supports. It was installed last November, and I've been burning it nearly 24/7 since. The stove performs well for us, though it does struggle when we dip into the low teens, but I blame poor windows/insulation and the layout of the house for that. We heat about 1,800 sq. ft. (1,000 downstairs, 800 upstairs). I get meaningful heat from the stove for about 5 hours on a full load, and I easily have enough coals after 8 hours for a restart.

Lopi is a brand made by Travis Industries, so Google Travis for information. They also make the Avalon brand.

Look at the manufactures Sq. ft heated ratings, then, buy the next bigger unit... I heat a 2000 sq ft, not real well insulated, fairly open floor plan, single level, ranch style, with a Lopi Endeavor as the sole source of heat. Burn 5 to 8+ cords a year, depending. When the mercury goes below about 10* degrees its a struggle to keep it a comfortable as we would like to be. At really cold temps seems like I'm either bringing in more wood or taking out the ashes, which is really a pain because the Lopi's have no ash pan...I'll never buy another stove without an ash pan...other then that I love wood heat.

I really like the Lopis, they make a good quality stove. I would be careful if you don't know what year it was made since the efficiency might not be the best. If it is a really good deal that would sway me however. There smallest one, Lopi Answer, which it probably is for your deal, will be quite difficult to get that overnight burn. I had the Avalon Pendelton, pretty much the same thing, and unless you plan on cutting your wood very small, 12-14 inches, you will be frustrated with the amount of wood you can put in it.
I think the Lopi Endeavor is one of the best stoves out there, unless your house is around 1,800 and up like many have said. The burn times are good, the heat output is great, and the efficiency is outstanding, almost 80% now, WOW. If my next house is around 1500-1700 sq ft, this will be the stove I buy.
The Lopi Liberty is another awesome stove and if I didn't get such a good deal on my Avalon Olympic (sister to Liberty), I would have bought this stove. When I mean a deal I mean I saved about 800 dollars on a new one last April
So like others have said, get your sq ft for house and look at the max for the stove, if it is close, you better go big or when it's cold you will not be happy
These new stoves are pretty damn efficient now so again be careful about getting one that is too old

Good luck and enjoy, if I could buy a new stove each year, I probably would....I would be divorced of course :lol:

I will surely look at the tag on the back of the stove. Maybe even get some pics and put them om this thread. One more question I have. My current stove has a seven inch stovepipe. This lopi stove requires 6" pipe. I can get an increaser pipe from 6 to 7. Is that alright to do.

I have a Lopi Answer and I am very pleased with it. My house is the same size as yours and reasonably well insulated. I live in an ~8000 degree day climate, and the stove takes a lot of heat load off of the oil boiler, but when temperatures get below 10 degrees, it can't be expected to carry the whole house. I get about a 3-3-1/2 hour heating time with dry hardwoods (hickory, oak, maple) and a relight in the morning from coals.

You will not be able to use 6-7" and 20" long splits in this stove. I split my down to about 3-4", and 16-17" is the max. length.

I burned with a Lopi Answer insert for three years. It works, but overnight burns are really tough. Tough, as in they don't happen very often - you're usually up feeding the stove at some point. As backup or occasional heat, sure. If you want to heat 24/7 you'd be happier with something bigger. I'm real happy with my new catalytic Woodstock, and have posted a bunch of stuff (search on it if you're interested). Good luck!

My last year with the Answer I wrapped it in mineral wool insulation (from McMaster-Carr, wrapped behind the faceplate of course). It burned hotter and cleaner, but not longer.

Alright guys I went to look at the stove. It is a lopi answer made on August 4th of 1997. He his asking 100 bucks. It has a crack in the glass and some of the firebrick is cracked. Overall I think it is a good deal. My set up right now is an old Franklin fireplace, it is more than likely an antique. The room I have the stove in is connected to my garage. I get the stove ripping and the back room up to 80 degrees then open a window which leads to a bedroom. This may be confusing but the room the stove is in is an add on after the house was built. Anyways after the window in the bedroom is open, I get a couple of fans going to move the warm air that is entering the bedroom. Next I open the door that connects the kitchen to the garage. At this point the air circulates in a circle and warms the house. The house right now is at 72 degrees. Right now with my old stove I have to add wood every half an hour to keep my flue temp above 300 degrees. Do you guys think if I get the lopi answer I will be able to keep on what I'm doing and have to feed the stove less. What would you do. Also do you think the answer is up for the challenge or is it just plain and simple to small. Thanks.

As long as all you are having to replace is the glass and some fire brick, I'd say you've got a great deal.

spadafore said:
Alright guys I went to look at the stove. It is a lopi answer made on August 4th of 1997. He his asking 100 bucks. It has a crack in the glass and some of the firebrick is cracked. Overall I think it is a good deal. My set up right now is an old Franklin fireplace, it is more than likely an antique. The room I have the stove in is connected to my garage. I get the stove ripping and the back room up to 80 degrees then open a window which leads to a bedroom. This may be confusing but the room the stove is in is an add on after the house was built. Anyways after the window in the bedroom is open, I get a couple of fans going to move the warm air that is entering the bedroom. Next I open the door that connects the kitchen to the garage. At this point the air circulates in a circle and warms the house. The house right now is at 72 degrees. Right now with my old stove I have to add wood every half an hour to keep my flue temp above 300 degrees. Do you guys think if I get the lopi answer I will be able to keep on what I'm doing and have to feed the stove less. What would you do. Also do you think the answer is up for the challenge or is it just plain and simple to small. Thanks.

You won't have to add wood every half hour probably every 4 or 5. Plus the BTU are 68,000 so it is a hot burning stove. For hundered bucks that is a really good deal. Call Lopi if you want an exact fit for the glass or I am sure somebody will chime in and recommend where you can get one custom cut. Firebrick and wood stove place will cut you an exact fit piece. Go for a blower too, it will help you out tremendously for heat. I bet you could the stove, blower glass, brick for under 350!

Enjoy the stove and post pics when you get that beauty up and running! :)

That's a really good deal - the Lopi Answer is a tough little stove. For $100, it's a good way to try out that size stove and see if it meets your needs. Take the money you saved on the stove and spend it on a good flue pipe.

I agree with a previous poster - you won't get an overnight "heating" burn out of the Answer, but it will throw good heat for a small house.

DBoon said:
That's a really good deal - the Lopi Answer is a tough little stove. For $100, it's a good way to try out that size stove and see if it meets your needs. Take the money you saved on the stove and spend it on a good flue pipe.

I agree with a previous poster - you won't get an overnight "heating" burn out of the Answer, but it will throw good heat for a small house.

Great points DBoon, buy some very good quality flue pipe all the way up, do it right and you will never be sorry and more importantly you will be safe!
Like I said, adding the blower will help a lot, plus if you want it sharp look for a gold door or something to add some style if it is just plain ol black

Thats a good deal... Lopi make a very fine product. Not sure what the glass might cost but fire brick is somewhat cheap.. I'd go ahead and replace the door gasket also. There less than $10 bucks for the kit at Lowe's.

Good luck.

Update. I bought the stove this morning, brought it home and installed it. Holy cow is it awesome. The blower works and I tell you I cannot believe how just a couple of splits last hours. I stopped at my stove shop and priced the glass, 53 dollars from Lopi not bad. Please educate me is this thing capable of secondary burns. If not I wonder what I am doing. I put wood in let it char shut the air almost all the way then watch as a lazy flame dances on the wood up to the top of the stove and is pushed down back toward the middle of the stove all while temps climb. What is this? It sure beats my old franklin.

congrats....

Take a look at Lopi's OP manual.. It may help.. What I have learned is that everyone has a different sweet spot on there stove, or insert. Just play around with it and see what works for you.

Type of wood, draft, blower setting, etc.. all effect the stove's performance.. See what works for you.

http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=253#Documents

spadafore said:
Update. I bought the stove this morning, brought it home and installed it. Holy cow is it awesome. The blower works and I tell you I cannot believe how just a couple of splits last hours. I stopped at my stove shop and priced the glass, 53 dollars from Lopi not bad. Please educate me is this thing capable of secondary burns. If not I wonder what I am doing. I put wood in let it char shut the air almost all the way then watch as a lazy flame dances on the wood up to the top of the stove and is pushed down back toward the middle of the stove all while temps climb. What is this? It sure beats my old franklin.

What you describe, the flame that is disconnected from the log, is secondary combustion. It is the smoke burning on top of the fire.

You'll love it. As for a 25 year old company being relatively new well, all of the hard work was done since 1991 with the EPA requirements and even then there are only a handful of american companies making one product that make it to 25.

If you got a good secondary combustion on your first fire, you are doing well. Your wood must be well seasoned - maybe sitting around a while for lack of a stove? If so, don't take that for granted. If you don't have wood for next year, order some now or that secondary combustion will be hard to come by next heating season. Better yet, order two years worth of wood and make sure you are covered for the year after.

Feel free to PM me if you have any operational questions, but it sounds like you are well on your way.

I don't know your model, nor am I any kind of expert on Lopi's design history...but when we bought our house here in Oregon, there was an old Lopi M520 in it, which we burned part of our first season. It was a pre-EPA stove, but it was capable of secondary combustion. Actually it had both primary and secondary air controls. It didn't have tubes, but it had a rudimentary firebrick baffle. When we got the Liberty installed, the lineage from the M520 to the Liberty was unmistakable. So, along the way, the Lopi stoves were evolving in burn technology sophistication, it wasn't just a quantum leap one day from dragon to clean burner. Rick

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have good seasoned dry wood as I used to burn with a frankiln wood stove. Now I will have alot more wood as this answer goes through a lot less wood. I am very impressed with this stove. The house is at 74 degrees. There is a ul number on the back of the stove. Does this mean it is EPA approved. Also I think I will have to clean out the ash on the fly to keep burning as the firebox isn't the biggest. Anyone know how many cubic feet it is. I have a metal trash can with lid I was going to put the hot ash in. Is this a good Idea?

spadafore said:
Thanks for the replies. Yes I have good seasoned dry wood as I used to burn with a frankiln wood stove. Now I will have alot more wood as this answer goes through a lot less wood. I am very impressed with this stove. The house is at 74 degrees. There is a ul number on the back of the stove. Does this mean it is EPA approved. Also I think I will have to clean out the ash on the fly to keep burning as the firebox isn't the biggest. Anyone know how many cubic feet it is. I have a metal trash can with lid I was going to put the hot ash in. Is this a good Idea?

You can let up to a couple of inches of ash build up in there before it has to be removed. There should probably always be some in the bottom to slow the burn down a little.

UL listing just means it's "safe". Does it not have metal tubes inside? If it's pre-EPA, but you get secondary burns easily then it may be within EPA limits, just not officially approved.

In any case, well done. You'll save a lot of wood, and have to sweep less. Don't forget to sweep, though...

spadafore said:

Sounds like you hit it. I had one for 9 years. Great stove. So good that when I built my house I put in the liberty. No need to change manufacturers when you get a good one.

Enjoy

congrats on the stove buy. i used a lopi answer and was so impressed that when i upgraded, id only consider another lopi- i got the freedom. this may sound funny, but the answer gave me the same warm fuzzy feeling that my 1979 ford fiesta did. it was like a family member. lol.
zeb

Status
Not open for further replies.