A few questions after chimney inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rcb5588

Nov 3, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi everyone, first time poster with some questions after our first chimney inspection.

Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before. Please feel free to direct me to any other threads that might have this information.

The quick rundown… Our house was built in 1982. My wife and I bought the house 4 years ago, and we’re the 3rd owners. I don’t know the history of how much the previous owners used the fireplace, but it was definitely used. We used the fireplace the last two years without any issues at all. Mostly burning from November-March during the weekends and occasionally during the week. I know it was a bit risky to do so without knowing the condition, but we did anyways (again, without any issues at all).

We decided to get a chimney inspection and sweep. The sweep didn’t end up happening. Our inspectors were vague, gave very little details, had only limited experience, so it didn’t go well.

The few things that they did point out to us is what I am looking to get some clarification on, as we intent to get a different company here in the next few weeks for a second opinion, and hopefully a better experience.

I should mention that I’ve been researching all of these things for the past 4 or 5 hours. I’ve found some information, but I feel like my limited knowledge is hindering my ability to get better search results.

I have also included some photos of the questions.

1 – While looking up from the ash dump clean out they noticed there is plywood under the hearth or concrete footing. The inspectors really made this seem like an absolute “disaster”, although they mentioned it’s in approximately 50% of homes. They asked multiple times if I was sure that I really wanted to go forward with the cleaning, basically implying that the fireplace is completely inoperable because of this, so why would I even want to have it swept.

I didn’t realize until they left that the plywood is 12 inches from the top of the floor in the firebox. I mean, do I really run the risk of wood combustion from 12 inches of concrete in between? The plywood is actually in perfectly fine condition without any burn marks or charring. We also have the ash dump covered, so there is very minimal debris escaping down there, if any at all.

1 - wood.jpg

2 – They noticed the flue that vents the hot water heater and heating system (both gas) is exposed in the firebox. They were worried about damaging this if they were to perform a sweep. They said this should be covered with concrete. I doubt it was ever covered with concrete, and that it all broke off over time, but who knows. Does this seem like a major issue? I don’t know if this is the terracotta that is exposed? It also has some pretty consistent lines on it, as you can see in the picture. Anyone know why it would be stained this way? Obviously I don’t want to do any damage to this, as I wouldn’t want to allow any carbon monoxide to seep through and backdraft into the living room. It's tough to tell in the picture, but this exposed flue is at a 45ish degree angle from where it becomes inline with the fireplace flue to run parallel vertically up the chimney.

1 - flue.jpg

3 – Speaking of the hot water heater and heating system flue, I noticed later that there seems to be a gap in the terracotta flue. This picture was taken from the cleanout hole (not the fireplace cleanout, but the one next to it) looking straight up to where the hot water heater and heating system enter in to vent out. I’m curious if this is a major issue. Again, I’m assuming it’s been this way for 40 years. This may be more of an HVAC question, but as you can see in the picture , there is a gap between the L shaped terracotta flue. Like the gas is left to just freely make the 90 degree turn from the horizontal part of the flue to the vertical part.

1 - gap.jpg

I know this is a long-winded post, and I REALLY appreciate any insight that can be given.

Thank you very much

Hi everyone, first time poster with some questions after our first chimney inspection.

Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before. Please feel free to direct me to any other threads that might have this information.

The quick rundown… Our house was built in 1982. My wife and I bought the house 4 years ago, and we’re the 3rd owners. I don’t know the history of how much the previous owners used the fireplace, but it was definitely used. We used the fireplace the last two years without any issues at all. Mostly burning from November-March during the weekends and occasionally during the week. I know it was a bit risky to do so without knowing the condition, but we did anyways (again, without any issues at all).

We decided to get a chimney inspection and sweep. The sweep didn’t end up happening. Our inspectors were vague, gave very little details, had only limited experience, so it didn’t go well.

The few things that they did point out to us is what I am looking to get some clarification on, as we intent to get a different company here in the next few weeks for a second opinion, and hopefully a better experience.

I should mention that I’ve been researching all of these things for the past 4 or 5 hours. I’ve found some information, but I feel like my limited knowledge is hindering my ability to get better search results.

I have also included some photos of the questions.

1 – While looking up from the ash dump clean out they noticed there is plywood under the hearth or concrete footing. The inspectors really made this seem like an absolute “disaster”, although they mentioned it’s in approximately 50% of homes. They asked multiple times if I was sure that I really wanted to go forward with the cleaning, basically implying that the fireplace is completely inoperable because of this, so why would I even want to have it swept.

I didn’t realize until they left that the plywood is 12 inches from the top of the floor in the firebox. I mean, do I really run the risk of wood combustion from 12 inches of concrete in between? The plywood is actually in perfectly fine condition without any burn marks or charring. We also have the ash dump covered, so there is very minimal debris escaping down there, if any at all.

View attachment 302011

2 – They noticed the flue that vents the hot water heater and heating system (both gas) is exposed in the firebox. They were worried about damaging this if they were to perform a sweep. They said this should be covered with concrete. I doubt it was ever covered with concrete, and that it all broke off over time, but who knows. Does this seem like a major issue? I don’t know if this is the terracotta that is exposed? It also has some pretty consistent lines on it, as you can see in the picture. Anyone know why it would be stained this way? Obviously I don’t want to do any damage to this, as I wouldn’t want to allow any carbon monoxide to seep through and backdraft into the living room. It's tough to tell in the picture, but this exposed flue is at a 45ish degree angle from where it becomes inline with the fireplace flue to run parallel vertically up the chimney.

View attachment 302012

3 – Speaking of the hot water heater and heating system flue, I noticed later that there seems to be a gap in the terracotta flue. This picture was taken from the cleanout hole (not the fireplace cleanout, but the one next to it) looking straight up to where the hot water heater and heating system enter in to vent out. I’m curious if this is a major issue. Again, I’m assuming it’s been this way for 40 years. This may be more of an HVAC question, but as you can see in the picture , there is a gap between the L shaped terracotta flue. Like the gas is left to just freely make the 90 degree turn from the horizontal part of the flue to the vertical part.

View attachment 302013

I know this is a long winded post, and I REALLY appreciate any insight that can be given.

Thank you very much
The wood under the hearth doesn't meet code and should be removed. But I don't see much safety risk from that concerning the fireplace.

The furnace flue is a complete mess. And the exposed liner in the smoke chamber would make me not clean it either honestly.

Reactions: EbS-P
The foundation of my chimney in my crawl space is concrete block, and there is also wood support in my ash dump. Also about 12" down. I never use the ash dump; I've got some cracked hearth tiles around the ash door and I always worried about embers getting down, so I just got a metal ash tray to cover most of the floor of the firebox. No longer concerned.

The foundation of my chimney in my crawl space is concrete block, and there is also wood support in my ash dump. Also about 12" down. I never use the ash dump; I've got some cracked hearth tiles around the ash door and I always worried about embers getting down, so I just got a metal ash tray to cover most of the floor of the firebox. No longer concerned.
There is still a concern about heat transfer through. But at 12" thick I doubt there is much danger there. Unless you keep the fireplace going for days straight.

The furnace liner in contact with it is a big problem though in the one shown

There is still a concern about heat transfer through. But at 12" thick I doubt there is much danger there. Unless you keep the fireplace going for days straight.

The furnace liner in contact with it is a big problem though in the one shown
Yeah mine looks nothing like the OP, that’s pretty wild.

1667565564948.jpeg

bholler.....no offense, what is your set up like? Its probably a good one, Im not saying that, just curious? In an older house, with an inspection, they will ALWAYS find stuff to complain about. Thats their job to fix it, make money. Same with a mechanic. Take a 1 year old car to almost any of them, and there WILL be something wrong, Im sure of it. In PA we have car Inspection once a year, and its a good thing, but they nit pick you about everything. A car is just as dangerous as a wood burner , but to me, its all about whos running it. I like to think Im not too dumb, lol. Im on thin ice Im sure, but no options. I never run the stove overnight, or while im not home.

bholler.....no offense, what is your set up like? Its probably a good one, Im not saying that, just curious? In an older house, with an inspection, they will ALWAYS find stuff to complain about. Thats their job to fix it, make money. Same with a mechanic. Take a 1 year old car to almost any of them, and there WILL be something wrong, Im sure of it. In PA we have car Inspection once a year, and its a good thing, but they nit pick you about everything. A car is just as dangerous as a wood burner , but to me, its all about whos running it. I like to think Im not too dumb, lol. Im on thin ice Im sure, but no options. I never run the stove overnight, or while im not home.
My setup is a masonry chimney fireplace up stairs woodstove down. Insulated stainless liner for the wood stove. The fireplace has a gas insert in it with stainless exhaust aluminum intake liners.

Oil furnace on the other end vented into a stainless lined block chimney.

And yes cars are absolutely more dangerous than woodstoves. I am glad we have yearly safety inspections for cars. And honestly I have never had a surprise at inspection time because I pay attention to the condition of my car and fix it as needed

On another note....my little stove is EPA Certified. That doesnt make it better, but it was tested in 2020,...I hope they dont pass junk.

On another note....my little stove is EPA Certified. That doesnt make it better, but it was tested in 2020,...I hope they dont pass junk.
They test emissions only. Absolutely nothing to do with quality durability or safety.

Hi everyone, thank you for all of the responses. We are having another chimney company here on Wednesday to take a look at it.

As for the exposed flue in the smoke chamber, what types of possible solutions could we be looking at? I'm sure it's not a cut and dry answer, but just trying to get some ideas before the next inspection.

Thanks