A few updates in regards to wood stoves and me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrowningBAR said:
kingquad said:
Just talked to my realtor. Looks like we are probably going to get beat out by a cash offer, which is kind of disappointing. Thanks for your help though. The search continues.

Well, that blows. Sorry to hear that.
Yeah, it looks like we're gonna get beat by a cash offer. Oh well. There will be another.

If you end with a larger home, consider a Woodstock Progress Hybrid. They are on sale for $2500 -$1100 off- into early April. A beautiful, mid size soapstone stove, 2.8 cu ft firebox, cat and secondary technology, incredibly efficient, easily 12 hour burns on a small load. Heay output range capability with EPA Douglas Fir testing 10,800-72,000 BTU per hour, average output per hour over long burn 44,000 (I think -could be 42,000-48,000BTU, but you get the idea), Extraordinarily efficient - uses little wood. Burns very clean. Beautiful secondaries. Easy to adjust for long slow cat burn (I get 16 hours on a 2/3 load, burning 16 inch wood when stove is designed for 20-22 inch) during shoulder weather or for overnight, or when cold out shorter burn time very hot fires putting out over 80,000 BTU per hour with good dry hardwood firewood. This stove puts out a massive amount of heat when you ask it to at a surprisingly low stove temperature---under 600. A very safe stove...capable of being very quickly set for a long steady burn, whether at high or low output. Seven hours at consistent initial established temp before stove temp starts to drop is common. Customer service is exemplary, the stoves last a lifetime, and each comes with a six month money back guarantee, no questions asked. A good stove to include in your consideration.

rideau said:
If you end with a larger home, consider a Woodstock Progress Hybrid. They are on sale for $2500 -$1100 off- into early April. A beautiful, mid size soapstone stove, 2.8 cu ft firebox, cat and secondary technology, incredibly efficient, easily 12 hour burns on a small load. Heay output range capability with EPA Douglas Fir testing 10,800-72,000 BTU per hour, average output per hour over long burn 44,000 (I think -could be 42,000-48,000BTU, but you get the idea), Extraordinarily efficient - uses little wood. Burns very clean. Beautiful secondaries. Easy to adjust for long slow cat burn (I get 16 hours on a 2/3 load, burning 16 inch wood when stove is designed for 20-22 inch) during shoulder weather or for overnight, or when cold out shorter burn time very hot fires putting out over 80,000 BTU per hour with good dry hardwood firewood. This stove puts out a massive amount of heat when you ask it to at a surprisingly low stove temperature---under 600. A very safe stove...capable of being very quickly set for a long steady burn, whether at high or low output. Seven hours at consistent initial established temp before stove temp starts to drop is common. Customer service is exemplary, the stoves last a lifetime, and each comes with a six month money back guarantee, no questions asked. A good stove to include in your consideration.

I think the Progress is a very nice stove. But, it is a 2.8 cu ft firebox (same size as the Blaze King Princess and the Chinook). You are only going to get so many BTUs out of the stove. At 2800-3000 sq ft, to get whole house heat is a challenge for most stoves to tackle. For larger homes you will need a larger stove.

Heating a 3500 sq ft + home, only heat source, Southern Ontario, LOTS of LARGE windows. Progress Hybrid does the trick. And uses about the same amount of wood as a Fireview to put out a lot more heat. A great stove.

rideau said:
Heating a 3500 sq ft + home, only heat source, Southern Ontario, LOTS of LARGE windows. Progress Hybrid does the trick. And uses about the same amount of wood as a Fireview to put out a lot more heat. A great stove.

I'm sure it is, and if someone would lend me $7,500 would buy three of them. But you are the exception, not the norm. Heating 3,500 sq ft with a 2.8 cu ft stove would be quite the challenge to the vast majority of people.

Jags said:
Franks said:
You do, huh? Anyone else have an opinion on this? I am not above swapping them out.

Gawd yes, do something to help the ugly duckling out.

There's a reason they make great basement stoves. They match the laundry room equipment.

BeGreen said:
There's a reason they make great basement stoves. They match the laundry room equipment.

We can always count on this post from BeGreen! :lol: Actually I don't think mine would work good in a basement, they burn a steady temp for a long time, the stove shines when it's turned down and you wouldn't be able to do that in a basement install.

They do seem to have the cat design down to a tee. Now all they need is a nice tee shirt. :cheese:

BeGreen said:
Jags said:
Franks said:
You do, huh? Anyone else have an opinion on this? I am not above swapping them out.

Gawd yes, do something to help the ugly duckling out.

They also match that indoor unit of the mini-split. Another fantasticaly functional but fugly device.

Attachments

• minisplit indoor mitsubishi.jpg
    minisplit indoor mitsubishi.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 179
I'll take it any day. That's quite benign in comparison and about a 6th the size, but each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.