A few updates in regards to wood stoves and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
Marty S said:
Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with a BK
as I also am with Bigfoot and other
'popular' sensations.

Hearing embellished stories of "how
wonderful" this metal wood smoker is
makes me wonder why more haven't
been sold and why isn't the word out
on this marvelous stove.

Could it be that the claims fall short of
their mark as do sightings of Bigfoot
and UFOs?

Or, since much applause seems to be
from pellet stove burners (yes, clean but
far from 'heafty') could it be that, by
comparison, the BK just 'seems' to be
a heating dynamo fit for a King?

Aye,
Marty
Now you're just trolling trying to get a reaction from posters. Find a new hobby.
 

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
18,060
Northern IL
Marty S said:
Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with a BK
as I also am with Bigfoot and other
'popular' sensations.
Comparing a physical, measurable, tangible item to the likes of bigfoot is the refute of somebody with nothing else to add. No discussion can have meaning at this point.

(wishing I were a mod for a day).
 

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
1,970
PA.
It would be a shame to have this thread closed.
Frank put work into it as a tool to inform others......so cut the crap.
 

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
Either way, Frank, thank you for the posts, pictures, and the details. If I was working with a bigger budget the Chinook or Princess would definitely be options.
 

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
669
Pennsylvania
Franks, if you were recommending this to a customer, how big of a space do you think it could handle if the home was decently (mid 90's standards) insulated?
 

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
4,331
Central NY
kingquad said:
Franks, if you were recommending this to a customer, how big of a space do you think it could handle if the home was decently (mid 90's standards) insulated?
I'd guess about 1500 SF or so if you want to enjoy the long burns. I just checked now, about 24 hours later. Blower still pumping out heat, maybe 10-20% fuel left and cat at the lower end of the active zone. The glass has actually stayed cleaner this burn. This run may get me closer to that 30 hour claim of Blaze Kings without gunking the thing up.

It's truly like luxury wood burning...fugly luxury.
 

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
4,331
Central NY
Much much warmer. Fuel Oil, Kero and LP gallons down 25% with us taking on new customers. Mid Feb and no snow on the ground, idiots falling thru the ice on Oneida. Bizarro winter.
 

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
4,202
SE MI
Franks said:
You do, huh? Anyone else have an opinion on this? I am not above swapping them out.
Not that I'll be buying another,but I think I like the curved better, too. Never seen one in person, though. Only in the brochure.
 

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
669
Pennsylvania
Franks said:
kingquad said:
Franks, if you were recommending this to a customer, how big of a space do you think it could handle if the home was decently (mid 90's standards) insulated?
I'd guess about 1500 SF or so if you want to enjoy the long burns. I just checked now, about 24 hours later. Blower still pumping out heat, maybe 10-20% fuel left and cat at the lower end of the active zone. The glass has actually stayed cleaner this burn. This run may get me closer to that 30 hour claim of Blaze Kings without gunking the thing up.

It's truly like luxury wood burning...fugly luxury.
Wow, I thought it would heat a much larger space.

Of the products that you sell, which would you recommend for 2800 sq ft? Flue size doesn't matter. I'm gonna start a thread if my offer goes through on a new house, but I figured I'd ask you here since this thread has your attention and you sell a pretty wide range of products. Thanks
 

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
kingquad said:
Franks said:
kingquad said:
Franks, if you were recommending this to a customer, how big of a space do you think it could handle if the home was decently (mid 90's standards) insulated?
I'd guess about 1500 SF or so if you want to enjoy the long burns. I just checked now, about 24 hours later. Blower still pumping out heat, maybe 10-20% fuel left and cat at the lower end of the active zone. The glass has actually stayed cleaner this burn. This run may get me closer to that 30 hour claim of Blaze Kings without gunking the thing up.

It's truly like luxury wood burning...fugly luxury.
Wow, I thought it would heat a much larger space.

Of the products that you sell, which would you recommend for 2800 sq ft? Flue size doesn't matter. I'm gonna start a thread if my offer goes through on a new house, but I figured I'd ask you here since this thread has your attention and you sell a pretty wide range of products. Thanks

I'm not a dealer, but with 2800 sq ft I would say at least a 3.5 cu ft stove. I would feel more comfortable with something the size of the King for flexibility. But that's me.
 

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
669
Pennsylvania
BrowningBAR said:
kingquad said:
Franks said:
kingquad said:
Franks, if you were recommending this to a customer, how big of a space do you think it could handle if the home was decently (mid 90's standards) insulated?
I'd guess about 1500 SF or so if you want to enjoy the long burns. I just checked now, about 24 hours later. Blower still pumping out heat, maybe 10-20% fuel left and cat at the lower end of the active zone. The glass has actually stayed cleaner this burn. This run may get me closer to that 30 hour claim of Blaze Kings without gunking the thing up.

It's truly like luxury wood burning...fugly luxury.
Wow, I thought it would heat a much larger space.

Of the products that you sell, which would you recommend for 2800 sq ft? Flue size doesn't matter. I'm gonna start a thread if my offer goes through on a new house, but I figured I'd ask you here since this thread has your attention and you sell a pretty wide range of products. Thanks

I'm not a dealer, but with 2800 sq ft I would say at least a 3.5 cu ft stove. I would feel more comfortable with something the size of the King for flexibility. But that's me.
Was hoping you would chime in too. You seem to have pretty sensible thoughts on stove sizing. I'm definitely leaning toward something big. The problem is really 6 or 8 in. flue. I have an Englander 30 sitting in storage. I got it on clearance, so I can resell it pretty easily and get my money back. I would hate to tear out a crappy old ZC fireplace and install a 6 in. flue, then decide I want more firepower though. I'm leaning toward 8 in. flue. Problem is, the room is only 15x15. It's open to a very large kitchen though. If I get the house, I will post a pretty detailed thread before I make any real decisions.

On a side note, my wife doesn't mind the BKK with legs. She really likes the Equinox. Not her decision though.
 

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
kingquad said:
BrowningBAR said:
kingquad said:
Franks said:
kingquad said:
Franks, if you were recommending this to a customer, how big of a space do you think it could handle if the home was decently (mid 90's standards) insulated?
I'd guess about 1500 SF or so if you want to enjoy the long burns. I just checked now, about 24 hours later. Blower still pumping out heat, maybe 10-20% fuel left and cat at the lower end of the active zone. The glass has actually stayed cleaner this burn. This run may get me closer to that 30 hour claim of Blaze Kings without gunking the thing up.

It's truly like luxury wood burning...fugly luxury.
Wow, I thought it would heat a much larger space.

Of the products that you sell, which would you recommend for 2800 sq ft? Flue size doesn't matter. I'm gonna start a thread if my offer goes through on a new house, but I figured I'd ask you here since this thread has your attention and you sell a pretty wide range of products. Thanks

I'm not a dealer, but with 2800 sq ft I would say at least a 3.5 cu ft stove. I would feel more comfortable with something the size of the King for flexibility. But that's me.
Was hoping you would chime in too. You seem to have pretty sensible thoughts on stove sizing. I'm definitely leaning toward something big. The problem is really 6 or 8 in. flue. I have an Englander 30 sitting in storage. I got it on clearance, so I can resell it pretty easily and get my money back. I would hate to tear out a crappy old ZC fireplace and install a 6 in. flue, then decide I want more firepower though. I'm leaning toward 8 in. flue. Problem is, the room is only 15x15. It's open to a very large kitchen though. If I get the house, I will post a pretty detailed thread before I make any real decisions.

On a side note, my wife doesn't mind the BKK with legs. She really likes the Equinox. Not her decision though.

Wood this be a second stove that would run in addition to the Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert?
 

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
669
Pennsylvania
BrowningBAR said:
On a side note, my wife doesn't mind the BKK with legs. She really likes the Equinox. Not her decision though.

Wood this be a second stove that would run in addition to the Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert?[/quote]No. New House. Enviro is staying in the old house. I definitely realize this is a lot of space for one heater, especially one that's not centrally located. I would like something that can do most of the heavy lifting though.
 

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
kingquad said:
BrowningBAR said:
kingquad said:
BrowningBAR said:
kingquad said:
Franks" date="1330051686 said:
kingquad" date="1330050528 said:
Franks, if you were recommending this to a customer, how big of a space do you think it could handle if the home was decently (mid 90's standards) insulated?
I'd guess about 1500 SF or so if you want to enjoy the long burns. I just checked now, about 24 hours later. Blower still pumping out heat, maybe 10-20% fuel left and cat at the lower end of the active zone. The glass has actually stayed cleaner this burn. This run may get me closer to that 30 hour claim of Blaze Kings without gunking the thing up.

It's truly like luxury wood burning...fugly luxury.
Wow, I thought it would heat a much larger space.

Of the products that you sell, which would you recommend for 2800 sq ft? Flue size doesn't matter. I'm gonna start a thread if my offer goes through on a new house, but I figured I'd ask you here since this thread has your attention and you sell a pretty wide range of products. Thanks

I'm not a dealer, but with 2800 sq ft I would say at least a 3.5 cu ft stove. I would feel more comfortable with something the size of the King for flexibility. But that's me.
Was hoping you would chime in too. You seem to have pretty sensible thoughts on stove sizing. I'm definitely leaning toward something big. The problem is really 6 or 8 in. flue. I have an Englander 30 sitting in storage. I got it on clearance, so I can resell it pretty easily and get my money back. I would hate to tear out a crappy old ZC fireplace and install a 6 in. flue, then decide I want more firepower though. I'm leaning toward 8 in. flue. Problem is, the room is only 15x15. It's open to a very large kitchen though. If I get the house, I will post a pretty detailed thread before I make any real decisions.

On a side note, my wife doesn't mind the BKK with legs. She really likes the Equinox. Not her decision though.

Wood this be a second stove that would run in addition to the Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert?
No. New House. Enviro is staying in the old house. I definitely realize this is a lot of space for one heater, especially one that's not centrally located. I would like something that can do most of the heavy lifting though.
Open floor plan? Good insulation? Good central location for the stove? If yes to all of those things, the 30 should be able to handle the job, or at the very least, do the majority of the heavy lifting. Especially if you are in SE PA, like me. If you are northern or western PA, which is colder, I'm not sure.
 

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
669
Pennsylvania
BrowningBAR said:
Wood this be a second stove that would run in addition to the Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert?
No. New House. Enviro is staying in the old house. I definitely realize this is a lot of space for one heater, especially one that's not centrally located. I would like something that can do most of the heavy lifting though.[/quote]

Open floor plan? Good insulation? Good central location for the stove? If yes to all of those things, the 30 should be able to handle the job, or at the very least, do the majority of the heavy lifting. Especially if you are in SE PA, like me. If you are northern or western PA, which is colder, I'm not sure.[/quote]Floor plan is kind of open. Double pane windows. Decent insulation, but I would blow a few more inches into the attic. Stove is not centrally located. Pittsburgh area, so it gets a bit colder. All this seems to be pushing me toward an 8 in. flue.
 

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
4,331
Central NY
I would go with the King for sure. Here is the thing I am learning about the BK stoves. That Chinook has a huge firebox. If I shoot for a 6-8 hour burn, it would probably heat 2000-2500 square feet. But you can only make so much heat out of a stick of wood. So you want to triple that burn time, your gonna have lower outputs.

So I agree with BAR about a house that size being a no brainer for a King, if you were going in the BK Line.
 

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
4,331
Central NY
If your not stuck on the ultra long burns and want a blast furnace, I'll still stand by that Enerzone 3.4 for just pumping out gobs of heat.

I like the Hearthstone Equinox for a huge stove in wide open spaces, but I Have had a customer just this year complaining of not being able to heat 1500 SF with it and 6 hour burns. Still working with him on it. The other 5 or 6 EQ customers I have are all really happy with their stoves.
 

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
Franks said:
If your not stuck on the ultra long burns and want a blast furnace, I'll still stand by that Enerzone 3.4 for just pumping out gobs of heat.

I like the Hearthstone Equinox for a huge stove in wide open spaces, but I Have had a customer just this year complaining of not being able to heat 1500 SF with it and 6 hour burns. Still working with him on it. The other 5 or 6 EQ customers I have are all really happy with their stoves.

What temps is he topping out at? I'm guessing 450°.
 

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
669
Pennsylvania
Franks said:
If your not stuck on the ultra long burns and want a blast furnace, I'll still stand by that Enerzone 3.4 for just pumping out gobs of heat.

I like the Hearthstone Equinox for a huge stove in wide open spaces, but I Have had a customer just this year complaining of not being able to heat 1500 SF with it and 6 hour burns. Still working with him on it. The other 5 or 6 EQ customers I have are all really happy with their stoves.
I don't think I'd see much difference between the Enerzone and the Englander that I've got sitting in storage. A 6in. flue gives me more options, but an 8in. gives me more max capability. I'm leaning toward 8in.

Woodmiser posted a good video of him getting his EQ up to 700. You could try showing it to them.
 

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
4,331
Central NY
He is saying 400-500 degrees for 2 or 3 hours and then a decline after that. Of course, he claims the wood is perfect, he is really loading it up and he did the dollar bill test, etc. He's a farmer. I'm tempted to bet him 1/4 cow that if I show up with wood from my stash I can build a fire and double or triple his results. Would kill a day but it may be worth it.
 

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
Franks said:
He is saying 400-500 degrees for 2 or 3 hours and then a decline after that. Of course, he claims the wood is perfect, he is really loading it up and he did the dollar bill test, etc. He's a farmer. I'm tempted to bet him 1/4 cow that if I show up with wood from my stash I can build a fire and double or triple his results. Would kill a day but it may be worth it.
Operating the air controls on Hearthstones is vital to maintaining temps.
Split size is also a factor on cold starts.

Here is a thread I did outlining how I get my Hearthstone up to 600 degrees:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83823/
 

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
669
Pennsylvania
Just talked to my realtor. Looks like we are probably going to get beat out by a cash offer, which is kind of disappointing. Thanks for your help though. The search continues.
 

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
7,609
San Tan Valley, AZ
kingquad said:
Just talked to my realtor. Looks like we are probably going to get beat out by a cash offer, which is kind of disappointing. Thanks for your help though. The search continues.

Well, that blows. Sorry to hear that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.