A Free Load of Slytherin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 8, 2020
Craig County, VA
My father was riding through town and noticed a sign at the road at a house in a suburban area that said "Free Firewood". He called me and I went by the place after work. The woman had had gas logs installed in her fireplace and didn't need the firewood. She had one of those old fashion heavy canvas tarps over the load of wood. After removing the tarp to start loading, I was met by some of our slytherin friends:
1591702883125.png
1591702951533.png
1591702995672.jpg

There was a black snake coiled up on the right side of the wood pile and a garter snake on the left side. I worked around them and they just dropped down into the wood pile as I loaded. As I got further down, there was another black snake in the middle of the wood pile. Honestly, the black snakes seemed pretty interested at looking at what was going on, they did not head for the hills per se, just stayed out of the way enough for me to load the wood. As I got to the bottom of the wood pile, the wood was really kind of rotten, so I left the bottom couple of rows and the snakes to carry on!

I wonder how many people before you wanted that wood and said "nope" with that black snake sitting on top. He was guarding it for his buddies. Good score and I am sure the lady was appreciative for the removal help !

I wonder how many people before you wanted that wood and said "nope" with that black snake sitting on top. He was guarding it for his buddies. Good score and I am sure the lady was appreciative for the removal help !
Actually, I pretty much got the wood soon after she had put out the sign, so I doubt anyone had looked under the tarp. When I started loading, she came out of the deck to say hello and I mentioned the snakes to her and she said "they are free too" LOL. I didn't remove the snake, just let them go on their way.

My boy just got one of those black snakes as a pet. Great mousers, but watch the chicken coop haha. Good on you not killing 'em. They're smart (for a snake).
For all you anti-snake people out there, any black snakes you see are probably fine unless they're fat and short. They all have white mouths so don't go by that. Go by the head shape and eye shape. If they have goat eyes (slits) kill 'em. Triangle heads, kill 'em. If not, let 'em go.

My sister was into collecting snakes when I was a kid. One time she caught a big black racer. I don't know how, they are very fast. She kept it in the basement without telling anyone, especially not my mom who hated snakes. Well, the next day my mom goes down to gather up the laundry and guess who is coiled up staying cozy on the warm dryer. We all heard the scream throughout the whole house. My sister had to go down and eventually catch it. She was grounded for a bit after that, until the next time, but by then it was screech owls.