A hole in the chimney, at least thats where I think it is.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Treybabe

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
I am trying to find out if covering this hole is possible without creating a hazard is possible. I am wanting to resurface the brick and hole to make it more appealing and updated. I am also interested in finding out what it is and was used for.

16070116520416817564486099630409.jpg 16070117077292715775802828937183.jpg

What was the purpose of this hole? Heat outlet?

Looks like there could have been an air space between the fire box and the brick wall of the fireplace. Could have been an air intake down low and warm air flowed out that hole. Maybe.

We would just be guessing about function, Was the insert installed with a full liner? If so, then there should't be a hazard. With the metal ring removed it could be patched with brick.

Looks like a mud ring used by electricians. Probably had a switch of some sort mounted there. Maybe for a blower or maybe a light since it’s right by the door.

Standard switch height is about 4’ above the ground.

Peek inside and make sure you don’t have wires in there.

I am trying to find out if covering this hole is possible without creating a hazard is possible. I am wanting to resurface the brick and hole to make it more appealing and updated. I am also interested in finding out what it is and was used for.

View attachment 268366 View attachment 268367
Guessing from the height and size may have been for some type of control box at one time. See if you can see some old wire near it.

Looks like a mud ring used by electricians. Probably had a switch of some sort mounted there. Maybe for a blower or maybe a light since it’s right by the door.

Standard switch height is about 4’ above the ground.

Peek inside and make sure you don’t have wires in there.
I think your right. It appears to have a small hole on the each side my guess would be for a 6/32 screw that would match up for a mud ring. Most mud rings of that size would have 4 holes for 6/32 screws for 2 devices my guess is this was a special for a control box like Laststop mentioned or it was a a mud ring to fit a large single receptacle and it happened to be handy then repurposed. Electricians are always dragging crap home lo.l