A little seasoning advice, if you please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
So I started on my 2012/13 wood but now that I will be getting a new stove for next fall (which will take at least 20" wood) and all of next year's wood is cut 14" for the Morso, I am making a new game plan. What I think I am going to do is just save the 14" wood for the Morso and am frantically scrambling to find enough pine and ash (4-6 cords, I'm guessing, depending on the pine/ash ratio) that I will have for the new stove.

I probably have around a cord of ash I can pull out of my 2011/12 stack that is cut to 16" and I have not quite another cord of ash that I am just splitting now that is also cut 16". I have about a half cord plus of pine I have cut 20" but it was standing dead and is already a little punky. So, I already have about the first half of the winter covered.

So, if I can score some ash in the next month should I cut it 16" so it dries a little quicker or will 20" be OK since it will be 10 months before I burn it? At what point should I forget the ash and just go for pine to finish off what I need?

Thanks!

I think ash even at 20" will season without trouble provided it gets decent sun and wind.

Cut it at 20 inches . . . the 4 inches should not make much of a difference . . . especially if you're waiting 10 months to burn it . . . should be good to go with no to few issues. Gotta love a good piece of ash!

I think I'd rather burn dry 14 inchers than maybe-not-dry 20 inchers, so I'd attempt what you're attempting, but plan to burn the short stuff if I have any problems. I am not a precision measurer of rounds (I don't measure at all, just guess) so I'd shoot for 18 inches instead of 20 to avoid making any that are a little too long.

That's what I was thinking. Now, I just gotta hurry up and find it.

And yes, I will certainly burn the 14" if the stuff I'm now splitting isn't ready. It's just gonna work out slick if I can save that just for the Morso as it will give me over 2 years of wood for that stove.

Wendell, especially since you are talking ash, but it to the length you want and it will do just fine.

On the 14" length you already have, perhaps you can stand some others upright at the end of the logs in the stove to fill in. Otherwise, just burn the shorter pieces in spring and fall and save the longer pieces for winter burning. Burning a log that is 6" shorter just gives you less heat and that is what you want during spring and fall.

Now just to really get you thinking, do you realize that spring is less than 6 weeks away! Hooray!!!

Bigg_Redd, For purposes of clarification only, The College Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary, has within the many meanings of "season" or "seasoned", the following: "...3 a) to make more suitable for use; improve the quality of, as by aging, exposure to air, etc..." and "... v.i. to become seasoned, or more suitable for use".

So, It seems to me that using "season" "seasoned" or "seasoning" is a valid use of the word when, regarding the stacking of split wood, a person is "...exposing it to air..." to make it "...more suitable for use".

It is evident to me that many who post here share your admiration for those who properly use our wonderful but difficult language. Your respect for the printed word is proper and commendable.

Best wishes and good health, John_M

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1265919236"
On the 14" length you already have, perhaps you can stand some others upright at the end of the logs in the stove to fill in. Otherwise, just burn the shorter pieces in spring and fall and save the longer pieces for winter burning. Burning a log that is 6" shorter just gives you less heat and that is what you want during spring and fall. [/quote]

Actually, the genius of my new stove plan is that the big, new stove won't even need to run in the shoulder seasons as the Morso will be taking care of the heat needs by then.

I may, however, need to rethink buying the PE stove. If I do it won't give Bigg Redd anything to be sarcastic about. I would hate to ruin his day like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.