a little spooked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmriggs

Sep 19, 2015
central indiana
OK so, I have a wood furnace that works very well and last night I threw in a big chunk of maple and closed it up for the night.
When I checked on it this morning, I felt the stove pipe and felt a trace of heat and assumed it had slowly burned up over night. I cautiously opened the fire door to find this huge chunk, smoldering almost to the point of combustion. Trying to avoid this chunk from bursting into flames and a possible over fire condition. I closed all the air off to let it burn itself out.....slowly.
So, my flue temp is low but, it's still getting some air as the cabinet surrounding the fire box is warming up like there is a slow fire burning but, I see no visible flame through the peep hole. I'm concerned I have hot gasses close to combustion temps ready to ignite at the instant of adding air!
Should I just let slowly burn itself out??

since you just cleaned the chimney, i guess i wouldn't worry much about a fire but i'd certainly open the air a little and get that chuck burning. might even put an extra small piece or two to help get it going. I've never had a fire, especially a big chunk, "burst into flames". just increase the air and do a regular burn then turn it back down if you want.

Reactions: Nick Mystic
since you just cleaned the chimney, i guess i wouldn't worry much about a fire but i'd certainly open the air a little and get that chuck burning. might even put an extra small piece or two to help get it going. I've never had a fire, especially a big chunk, "burst into flames". just increase the air and do a regular burn then turn it back down if you want.
Thanks,

Reactions: tcassavaugh
Status
Not open for further replies.