A Little Wood Splitting Time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sen166

Jan 2, 2015
Michigan
Ford.jpg

Thought I would share a nice picture I took while outside splitting some of the ash I've had piled up for a little while. I figured other than sitting inside by the stove, there was no better way to stay warm during this cold snap than getting outside and swinging the maul for a bit!

Reactions: excessads
8n or jubilee?
1950 Ford 8N ( I see you have any eye for 'em!). That tractor is my pride, joy, and hobby. Spent a few hours today with the old man putting my grandfather's old chains on for the upcoming snow storm. They sure don't build them like the used to!

My grandpa has a couple of those old ford tractors. Can you get some closer pictures. I am sure he would love to see some.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Grandpa raised five kids farming with a Ferguson that became the 8N after Henry Ford ripped off Harry Ferguson. I spent many an hour on the fender beside him while he was plowing.

And my favorite story about that tractor is that when his landlord died his kid thought that there was oil on the farm and evicted grandpa. One day the kid heard noise outside and came out to see grandpa hooking a log chain to the propane tank and the Ferguson. The kid said what are you doing and grandpa said "I paid $200 dollars for the pipe to put propane heat in that house. I am taking my pipe with me.". The whole house would have collapsed.

He got his $200. Grandpa was pretty much man and loved his tractor.

Love splitting in this weather also, cold, crisp, windless with fresh snow, I love when the snow sounds squeaky when you walk on it.

Reactions: excessads
1950 Ford 8N ( I see you have any eye for 'em!). That tractor is my pride, joy, and hobby. Spent a few hours today with the old man putting my grandfather's old chains on for the upcoming snow storm. They sure don't build them like the used to!

My oldest brother has an 8N. When he moved to MI he took it with him. I miss having it, especially since I brought my property. My father in law has a very nice White that I have had the pleasure of using a few times, a very smooth running machine.

My grandpa has a couple of those old ford tractors. Can you get some closer pictures. I am sure he would love to see some.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000
I'll try to grab a few pictures of it when I'm outside next. I always enjoy talking to the old timers who used these machines when they were new.

I dont know much about tractors but the farm i used to work at had an old ferguson that was a blast to drive - way better then the newer ones they had! no comparison!
And the wood splits soo much better and easier when its brutal cold! I also love the snow squeaking sound! :)

Woodpro WS-TS-2000
I was finally able to get back out and remembered to snap a few pictures; I hope your Grandfather enjoys them!
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG

I was finally able to get back out and remembered to snap a few pictures; I hope your Grandfather enjoys them!View attachment 191089View attachment 191090View attachment 191091
wow that is in waayy better the shape then the one we had - LOL
Random Story - One of the other guys working there put her in gear and let her slowly climb a steep hill with no one driving, she got a lil ways up then was just spinning the tires in place. he walked to the front of the tractor and was able to lift it off the ground about two feet with one hand. he did this a few times before getting back in the seat and stopping the danger ride

Status
Not open for further replies.