A new and improved way to clean the glass on your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleaned the stove last night. Used the soft brush attachment on the vacuum.....it took off 90% of the buildup on the glass, and then used a damp paper towel for the other 10%....completely clean. Cost? ....hmmmmm...maybe 2 cents.

I tried a magic eraser. It worked like a charm. No question that it worked better than paper towels. Without serious effort, paper towels never got the glass 100% clean.

Are you sure magic eraser isn't going to leave tiny scratches and eventually make your glass even harder to clean or even break? All I have to use is a damp paper towel, no elbow grease whatsoever involved. What are you people burning?

Damp paper towel, a little ash, primo.
A little ash is always a good thing.

damp paper towel, cleans well. I do this daily since mine gets dirty usually when running on low.

Hi guys,

I've been using those thick semi-liquid cleaners like the one Rhutland sells. It works well, but it's
messy and I go through a lot of paper towels. From an environmental standpoint, does anyone know
if it's safe to throw the spent towels in the fire (with cleaner on them)?

They claim these cleaners condition the glass and make it easier to clean the next time. I'm not sure
about this. But they do disolve the gunk quickly. Petroleum based maybe?

As another poster mentioned, I am conserned that the fine abrasives will eventually harm the expensive
ceramic glass. Being that the Magic Sponge works so well, wouldn't a company like Rhutland jump on it
as a opportunity to sell more products? I would never use an abrasive to clean my truck's windshield...
solvents are key.

Has anyone posed this question to a hearth manufacturer?

dskup said:
...... From an environmental standpoint, does anyone know
if it's safe to throw the spent towels in the fire (with cleaner on them)?

Hey dskup,

I'm not an expert, but I would be very slow to burn anything in my pellet stove but pellets. Especially if there is cleaner involved, potentially petroleum based. I wonder if it could cause a small explosion, or send burning pieces of towel up the chimney and maybe start a fire there.

I started using newspaper to clean the glass after I saw it mentioned here a couple of weeks ago. I crumple a page and dampen one little part of it. Cleans like nobody's business, and it's free.
I have heard that the magic eraser does a great job; if I see it in the store, I'll pick one up. But for now, the newspaper works great.

Well, I went out and picked up a Magic Eraser. I didn't have the same experience as others. It actually did more smearing than cleaning. I used it slightly damp, and initially the water appeared to clean the glass. But once it dried there was a foggy film left behind. But the glass was still warm when I did this. Maybe I need to try it again cold.

The Magic Eraser does not work well at all on glass...it smears the glass rather than cleaning it. Works very well on all other surfaces, though!

One thing i make sure to do is bring the stove down to low and wait about 15 minutes. Then i turn off the draft fan and open the door....

All i use is two paper towels (wet with water and wrung out) folded together and just clean in.

Your glass should never become so dirty that you could not use this. If so your having fan/combustion issues and need to correct.

I tired the magic eraser and it works wonders. As for glass safety if you read the package it suggests it is safe for porcelain, ceramics, counter tops and cook tops. All of these surfaces are highly susceptible to scratching. I'd have to think that as long as you keep it damp and don't scrub super hard it should be fine. Plus, for those of you that say you use a damp paper towel and ash, which is basically pumice, I'd bet dollars to donuts that that is much more abrasive than the magic eraser.
j

i use any of the silicone based car care products such as spray turtle wax or even no touch tire foam. spray it on and let it soak for a few seconds and wipe off.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.