a nice freebie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deedub

Jul 11, 2008
beside sleeping hibbomock
my chimney sweep guy just gave me (2) metal 5" blower fans from a VC insert. I have a jotul f400 in a fireplace install and think these will do wonders to help get heat out of the alcove into the room. anyways, the fans are separate units with an 8" long cord that i'm guessing plugs into a harness for the original insert ( not a wall outlet ). my question is there a high temperature wire sleeve that is available to insulate a new feed wire to these fans ? i'm planning on putting both fans immediately adjacent to the stove. any other thoughts on wiring these fans ?
they will not be hard wired, but plugged in.

thanks

Maybe put them down on the hearth just in front of the stove and pointed so that they are blowing into the fireplace opening? That way, no high temp insulation needed.

i knew i could count on you for some input, thanks.
yeah, i have been calling around to a lot of hardware stores and getting dumbfounded replies.." so you want to put this fan next to a hot wood stove ? "...too funny. I did find another old thread here talking about snaking the wire down the ash clean out to the basement to a gfci, but many kaboshed the idea. anyways, finding hi-temp, thin gauge wire OR a protective heat sleeve for a regular 18ga extension cord has had limited success. one guy suggested gutting out BX cable or just using BX cable and it's metal jacket..hmmm.
at this point, i'm willing to go with your suggestion. thanks

dave

Waytek Wire's a pretty good place and (I think) sells in small quantities. Here's their page on hi-temp fiberglass sleeving -- which would probably be overdoing it for your application:

http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail/M37/20401K

20400FL.GIF

You can surf around on their site and find other stuff that might be applicable, like the Corrugated Loom cover that you see under the hood of many cars these days... a reasonably high-temperature application.

At any rate I would be cautious about running 120V wire thru any hot zones... just because it has a high-temp cover doesn't mean the wire insulation itself might not get brittle over the years and cause trouble down the road. Go with something reasonably rugged, but then treat it like it is delicate as far as sustained high-temperature service is concerned.

Eddy

EddyKilowatt said:
Waytek Wire's a pretty good place and (I think) sells in small quantities. Here's their page on hi-temp fiberglass sleeving -- which would probably be overdoing it for your application:

http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail/M37/20401K

20400FL.GIF

You can surf around on their site and find other stuff that might be applicable, like the Corrugated Loom cover that you see under the hood of many cars these days... a reasonably high-temperature application.

At any rate I would be cautious about running 120V wire thru any hot zones... just because it has a high-temp cover doesn't mean the wire insulation itself might not get brittle over the years and cause trouble down the road. Go with something reasonably rugged, but then treat it like it is delicate as far as sustained high-temperature service is concerned.

Eddy

thanks eddy

Really good tips Eddykw. I was thinking you could cannibalize an old oven for the fiberglass sleeve.

If you need wire you can get it at at electrical supply house. I dout you will find a cord rated at that temperature. Most wire is rated at 60 , 75, and 90 degrees C . My code book is at work, but some is rated higher. I don't think the wire in the bx jacket or even flex is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.