a pine convert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetracker

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2011
rondout valley ny
based on what i have read and learned here, i am doing something i have never done in 35+ years of burning wood. yesterday i was out in a gentle cold rain bucking up fallen pines. a couple of them were taken down as hazards and a few more fell in storms. i NEVER would burn pine in the past because i believed it was harmful or dangerous to stove and chimney. after reading posts from you fellers (and ladies) out west, i realized that any wood is fine to burn as long as it's seasoned and you guys get along just fine in winters as cold or colder than ours. so thanks for the shift in worldview and i look forward to my friends and neighbors giving me crap about it....so i can simply smirk.

my plan is to get out there after hunting season to split it to stove size right there on the ground and stack it right there where its laying and burning it one year from now. i am so psyched cuz this will probably save me about a cord (3 face cords, 2 ricks 1.2 bush cords ;-) ) of hardwood every year. i'll repeat this process with the other downed pines and stack them where they lay. i just can't stand burning hardwood in october. my wife grabbed some 2 year seasoned sugar maple off the stack the other day and i cringed.

OT

Once you put Pine in your stack
You will never go back!
Bub

IMO, there's nothing wrong with burning it, its the processing thats a PITA. All the knots, branches, sap etc, just too much work.

It's exactly the opposite hear in south east Idaho. That's all anyone burns is Pine and what we call quaking aspen. In fact I'm just the opposite of you I'm just learning what hardwoods are best for burring and starting to get some good piles of ash, elm and birch. Its funny everyone I talk to hear about firewood say (its hard to beet that good old pine) Pat

gzecc said:
IMO, there's nothing wrong with burning it, its the processing thats a PITA. All the knots, branches, sap etc, just too much work.

you have a point there.

i can justify the work in that its plentiful i don't need to haul it. if i had to haul it i might as well haul hardwood.

onetracker said:
based on what i have read and learned here, i am doing something i have never done in 35+ years of burning wood. yesterday i was out in a gentle cold rain bucking up fallen pines. a couple of them were taken down as hazards and a few more fell in storms. i NEVER would burn pine in the past because i believed it was harmful or dangerous to stove and chimney. after reading posts from you fellers (and ladies) out west, i realized that any wood is fine to burn as long as it's seasoned and you guys get along just fine in winters as cold or colder than ours. so thanks for the shift in worldview and i look forward to my friends and neighbors giving me crap about it....so i can simply smirk.

my plan is to get out there after hunting season to split it to stove size right there on the ground and stack it right there where its laying and burning it one year from now. i am so psyched cuz this will probably save me about a cord (3 face cords, 2 ricks 1.2 bush cords ;-) ) of hardwood every year. i'll repeat this process with the other downed pines and stack them where they lay. i just can't stand burning hardwood in october. my wife grabbed some 2 year seasoned sugar maple off the stack the other day and i cringed.

OT

Ah ha! Another one who waits until after deer season to put up his wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
onetracker said:

OT

yep. i can fill the woodshed anytime but not the freezer.

Backwoods Savage said:
onetracker said:

OT

I think he's clean on this one...

Dry pine is great to mix in with hardwood as well. A mix of about 1/4 pine with 3/4 hardwood works great. Especially if your hardwood is a little high in moisture content.

My neighbor, and friend, passed away about a year ago. His wife about a year before that. Good people I will never forget. Always there for a neighbor if any of us on our road needed anything. He taught me about pine burning well. Many years ago I told him we had quite a few pine we were loosing to the bugs. And I explained I wanted to try and burn some in my stove because I knew how well it burned in my bonfire pit in the back yard. But I had always been told it creates to much creosote. Not if you dry it out it doesn't! Any wood will burn fine if you dry it out properly. May burn fast, but it still throws heat. So, that is what I did. And it has given me a lot of heat in my stove over the years. And will continue to do so in my gasser now.

Adios Pantalones said:
One of the best uses is starting a fire from scratch- heats things up in a jiffy.
I've been using it for either top-down cold starts or for reloads. Rake the coals to the front, Put a couple of bigger splits in the back, put some Pine kindling on the coals in front and smaller splits on top of that. That Pine really takes off!

2 cords of 2-3 year seasoned pine ready to go. Will save me a dictionary cord of oak.

I will burn most of it in the shoulder seasons, but will also save some for the very coldest nights, those nights so cold that the stove fills up wioth oak coals. Those nights I will burn some pine to keep the oak coals down.

Neighbor had a large dead pine taken down by her landscape guy about a year ago. He cleared away everything but the trunk. I told her I'd come over and get the trunk out of her yard. I bucked it up and took almost two pickup loads home. Split it and it came out a little more than a 1/3 cord, I'd guess. Dry as a bone but still pretty solid, just light in weight for the size of the split. Gonna try it out as soon as we have a really cool night. Probably keep most of it to mix with my oak as starter wood for cold nights.

I mix my Pine in with the rest of my Pine. Burns well, keeps me warm. Without Pine I'd pretty much be out of the woodburning business.

fossil said:
I mix my Pine in with the rest of my Pine. Burns well, keeps me warm. Without Pine I'd pretty much be out of the woodburning business.

I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter! ;-P

pine_wall_3-1.jpg

Pagey said:
...I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter! ;-P

Sorry, no time to publish a newsletter...feeding the stove constantly day and night. %-P

Pine saved our butts last year. Looking fore ward to the 4 of 'em coming down this year, plus 4 more oaks.

Pine is good :)

fossil said:
Pagey said:
...I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter! ;-P

Sorry, no time to publish a newsletter...feeding the stove constantly day and night. %-P

LO freakin' L. Good point!

I'm burning pine as I type. It is amazing that this is less than 6 months split and stacked and it almost lights with a match. I had the stove cranking at 800 degrees by mistake earlier today. It heats up fast, but dies out almost just as fast.

I'll have to agree... Thanks to all the experienced people in there that taught us newbies that you can burn properly seasoned pine and be fine.

Pine burns just fine. Like adding pine with some hardwoods. Good way to revive a bed of coals. Also like using cedar for that too.

Chris Fallis said:
Here in Colorado the only hardwood we get is from oak pallets. You just burn what you have!

Indeed, burn what you have

I've been raking the coals forward and shoving two pieces of oak out back and one pine against the coals- goes up quicker and hotter than all oak- in fact, I've decided to make stacks of pine on the ends with hardwood in the middle for that very purpose (and shoulder/campfire season).

S

fossil said:

:lol: That sounds like a nice mix you have there fossil. Hey. How long of burn times can you get in your stove? Are you lucky enough to be home all day?

I like mixing the Pine with Ash for several reasons.

1] They are both free! Besides all the hard work of getting it out of the woods.
2] The Pine brings quick high heat.
3] The Ash gives me the longer burn time I need.
4] Did I mention they are both free?!

Pagey said:
fossil said:

I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter! ;-P

pine_wall_3-1.jpg

Nice pile Pagey! Do you split it to dry or find it drys good just like that, then split before you burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.