A PSA to anyone struggling with wet wood in CT:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
Most of us have either learned the hard way, heard it here, or just come to accept the "golden rule": You can't buy seasoned firewood from a firewood dealer. However, time or money contraints, special circumstances, etc. sometimes lead us to a point where we can't get our wood up and drying soon enough, even if we are quite familiar with the Golden Rule. I'm making this PSA for people in CT, because I found decently dry wood, and I'd like to support the guy who is actually providing it, as well as possibly turn the trend around of people buying wet wood and just allowing dealers to continue selling the stuff.

I bought a cord of wood from this guy:

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/hsh/1572751013.html

I got the stuff, and it's split small, bucked to about 16-18", but most of all, it's DRY. I'd say it's probably in the 25% MC range. It's not absolutely perfect, but it starts up right away, burns hot, and not a hint of anything on the glass. 200 a cord is a bit high, since it can be gotten for 165/cord, but he brings the price down if you get more, and the fact that it's actually burnable(which I've NEVER seen from a seller) leads me to the conclusion of "you get what you pay for"

Mods,

This could be construed as advertising, so remove it if you think I've gone over the line. Maybe people can PM me for the info or something if this is a big no-no.

Thanks Karrion for the PSA, I actually know a guy who is looking for some seasoned wood who lives in that area. I am amazed at the number of people who buy their wood in the fall and complain all winter that the guy didn't sell them seasoned wood. The next year they do the very same thing!

I forwarded my friend the Craigslist link last night and left him a message on his cell. This morning told me that he had a cord delivered a few days ago from some other guy, and of course the wood is wet!

Good to know there are still some good guys out there!

Jackie Treehorn said:
Sweet! I'll be calling him tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

Hey, report back on this thread if the stuff you get from him is good and dry, and burns well.

Status
Not open for further replies.