A scrappy little score.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Got this from MIL's neighbor; Mostly Mulberry, been down for quite a few years, but mostly off the ground. The bark came off pretty easily so I removed it. Also grabbed a very small dead Walnut and a couple branch rounds off a Hackberry. Some if it's pretty dry but the bigger rounds will need some time in the stack. I traded him some Spruce that he's using in his fire pit.
One good thing about this score...it will be that much less wood I have to haul over there to feed the Buck 91. >>

006-15_zps7175b124.jpg

I see a nice long evening of drinking by the firepit with that pile of wood.;) You keep getting scores like that, it'll add up quickly!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That's how it adds up, one round at a time. ;)

I need to find some mulberry and red elm sometime soon. I've never had much of either, just enough to make me want more!:)

I didnt think Mulberry was that common. I identified a red mulberry for my best friend. She had the tree in her front yard and didnt know what it was. I was conflicted between the red and white. The leaves were so iffy. But she puts sheets out and collects the deep red berries for her wine making projects. Her mulberry wine is kick a$$.
Never would dream the knarly twisty looking tree would have such desirable firewood.
I read the white was an import from china to promote the silkworm industry.

Mulberry is very common here in Ohio. Grows along creeks & in parks everywhere around here. Lots of yard trees too.

Reactions: osagebow
Nice trade Woody and that is a beautiful walnut that really stands out from the crowd.

I had to go back over there to find my phone, which fell off my belt when I was mowing. :rolleyes: I got some binder clips, so I don't think that phone case is coming off the belt any more...>>

As long as I was there, I decided I would bust this wood to head off any potential "Stack it ASAP" posts. ==c
002-36_zps3271a439.jpg

I'm gonna try to contact the owner of the lot behind MIL's; There are three dead Oaks back there. That would be close to a year's worth of wood I could avoid hauling into town to feed the Buck. Here are a couple of the Oaks:
003-26_zps214cc69b.jpg

004-17_zps98f6cf11.jpg

There are also a couple of big Hedge-apple back there. Tree in this first pic is the Mother of all Hedge-apples. It splits into two trunks about 8' up; DBH the narrow way is 30", the wide way is 40. Not dead, so I just get to admire this magnificent tree.

006-15_zps118e0851.jpg

The second one, however, has a fairly large dead branch with no leaves, the bottom of the two branches on the right side in the pic. The other, bigger branch above that may also be completely dead...I'll have to take a closer look.
005-18_zps183a4fcb.jpg

Looks like a beautiful woodlot but prettier in the winter. I hate underbrush.
The reason there's not much brush in the first two pics is because it was recently knocked down with a rotary mower, but in the woods here it's like a jungle unless there's a thick canopy of mature trees to cut the light. Our property was timbered about twenty years ago, and the brush in some areas is really thick. Plenty of Poison Ivy, and Wild Rose and Blackberry thorns,too. <>
There are a bunch of small trees down out there that I'd like to grab for firewood since they'll be pretty dry, but now I'll have to walk every inch of the woods to find them. Before the leaves came in, I could see 'em all from a good distance off. GPS next year. ==c

Nice stacks, woody! another little known use for mulberry is to get me to slow down thinking I see a hedge tree!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.