Deadfall/all electric project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
I live in the suburbs but there is a lot of scrubby woodland around my house. I had the idea of minimal impact heating where I would only collect deadwood, haul it out of the woods by hand and forego gas chain saws. I did haul some wood around in my car but other than that is all electric/hand gathered. The great majority of the bucking was done with a 10" Craftsman Miter. I learned a few dangerous lessons about cutting a branch under pressure/torsion but I can now cut logs up to 10" across although I prefer smaller. Seems that my most reliable scores have been chokecherry, sumac and willow with some maple and apple mixed in here and there. I know that my stacks are modest and won't last the winter but I am having a lot of fun and getting a full body workout dragging it all around. Plus, I get to make my neighbors think that I am crazy....smaller stack of sumac is from this morning. I know it is low BTU but one of the few trees you can gather on a snowy day and put it right in the stove without smoking/sizzling.

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 13.21.36.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 13.21.29.png

Reactions: Vg3200p