A used Napoleon 1400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
I am working to get in touch with someone who has a used Napoleon 1400. If it checks out anywhere near as good as the classified ad says then it will be a significant upgrade from the small non-EPA Drolet stove we are using. My estimates are that we will get considerably more heat out of the same amount of wood.

Any warnings, suggestions, concerns I should have as I look this stove over in the next couple of days?

Parts availability should not be a problem given how many stoves Napoleon makes/sells.

It appears as well that my installation area will only require a slight modification and that is whether or note our "sliding" or "adjustable section of double walled pipe can shorten enough for the added height of this stove.

Thankfully we had the foresight to overbuild our installation area for clearances for a larger stove when we put in the small unit as it was always our intent to upgrade when money would allow.

I welcome any feedback.

It should be a nice upgrade. Look for any signs of overfiring, like burnt paint under the trivet, warped manifold, cracks, etc. Check the baffle boards and make sure they are in good condition. If it has the blower, see if it works. Good luck!

Hope it works out for you. The timing works out great too.

So due to a combination of email troubles at both ends of the exchange I did not receive the photos of the stove, nor did the seller receive my reminder that I was waiting for photos.....

Long story short, a nearly new Napoleon 1400 disappeared for $300.

Oh well, I guess you can't win them all.

In many ways I would rather get a used insert for our main level fireplace anyways but still a disappointing outcome.

Ouch !!! that sux.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.