A very tiny chip in the window glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas440

Feeling the Heat
Oct 27, 2008
Northeast Oh
I think this would apply to any pellet insert or stove. I have a Quadrafire Castile insert, and I was cleaning it today, and when wiping off the glass I happen to notice a very very tiny mark, or what I had thought was a piece of debris on the window glass. I picked at it with my fingernail thinking it was some carbon, or dirt, but upon looking very closely , and feeling it with my fingernail, I notice that its actually in the glass, like a very small chip or mark.

I have no clue how it got there, I've never hit the glass or scratched it with anything other than paper towel to wipe it off. The mark is about 1/8 inch long by about 1/16 inch wide, its very small and not deep at all. Its just deep enough so that I notice the slight roughness if I pick at it with my fingernail. I tried using a razor blade thinking it would lift off but its actually in the glass. This mark is about 2 inches from the edge of my door frame, and you cant really see it much unless you look for it.

My question to all of you who are familiar with the tempered glass door material is, how safe is it to operate the unit with a mark in the glass? There are no cracks, or deep chips just this mark that I noticed, but it has caused me some concern, as I'm not sure just how this tempered window glass reacts if it has a chip in it. I certainly wouldnt want to hear a breaking sound while the unit is burning, and I dont know much about the glass or how strong it is or isnt.

Thankyou for your thoughts, I have the Castile on, and burning now and it seems ok, the window gets VERY HOT, so thats why I'm concerned. Thinking maybe it should be replaced, but then again its not showing any sign of cracking at this time.

Nicholas,

Throw the sucker out!!!!!!! No seriously, I am surprised there are not more noted flaws. The transparent surface is not glass. That's right, not glass, much less safety or tempered product. It is a ceramic. It is poured, and has surface flaws. What you are seeing in days passed would be called a straw mark. Products that are fired were laid in straw to cool. This is nothing to worry about, as long as you don't obsess about it. I have one panel on a stove that is a split image, over ten years old, safe as can be. Just point it out to your friends and tell them how the glass was custom poured for your stove. :-S :-S

Thankyou for your reply, I thought it was some sort of glass, but I can rest easier now knowing its a ceramic material. The mark is so small its hardly noticeable, but Ive never seen it in all the times I have wiped off the window. I learn something new all the time on this forum, there is a storehouse of information here, and very helpful participants.

Thanks again,

Nicholas,

Status
Not open for further replies.