A wood and humidity question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2007
CT
#1 is, what % do you keep your house at. I bought one today and thinking 40-50 is the range will be just about right.

#2 is, do you think standing dead wood will burn this year. I found a guy who said he's got some wood that he cut down last week that is seasoned for $40 a pick up load. I'm thinking it may be alright in about a month or I could mix in with better stuff I have. Is it worth the effort ?

I would grab it and mix it in this year. If it is that bad, I would just burn it int he fireplace or save it til next year.

Pete: Humidifier in the room where the insert or stove is located is a good idea. Just finished going thru a period of itchy dry skin when the humidity was 30-35%. Have the humidifier set to 45% and what a difference.

Buy the wood,$40 for a pickup load this time of year. Kinda a no-brainer unless it`s punky.

sonnyinbc said:
Pete: Humidifier in the room where the insert or stove is located is a good idea. Just finished going thru a period of itchy dry skin when the humidity was 30-35%. Have the humidifier set to 45% and what a difference.

Buy the wood,$40 for a pickup load this time of year. Kinda a no-brainer unless it`s punky.

Heck I wish I could find 40 a pickup load any time of year ;-) I'd definitely take it, worst case you have a head start on next years wood.

Where are you Pete? I'm up in Plymouth and there is a guy on RT-6 accross from the old General Stove that has some for sale...

I'm in Marlborough, about an hour firm you I'd say. I know it's a no brainer but I figured I'd get some opinions first. It's an hour round trip plus loading wood but when I get home I just hit the button and it all comes out in seconds. This little find will extend my heating season for sure. I think he's got two loads so I may try to score both and make it really worth the trip.

Sonnyinbc, mine was at 26% and I had enough of static electricity. The pot on the stove just wasn't cutting it. It's up to 32% right now and already feels different. The real kicker is my forced hot air has one built into it but I figured it would have cost more to have oil company come out and rewire/install a new t-stat for just the fan to run. I'd assume it still would put out moisture with the fan just running.

Status
Not open for further replies.