About how long will a stove last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still have my 14 year old whitfield if it didn't start to rust, I could have refurbished it and probably got another 10 years out of it i'm sure, but we " upgraded " to the XXV, in many ways I really liked the whitfield and was the top of the line stove at the time, in 14 years it only needed an auger motor, if we kept it for a 15th season it would have needed a combustion blower for 155.00. I don't think the newer stoves are any better. The whitfield needed to be shut down once a week for a good cleaning, the xxv could proabably go a month, turns on and off and maintains the house at 71 degrees. There are plusses and minuses to every stove, a quality well built well maintained stove I would think should last a minimum of 15-20 years.

It's a hunk of steel with 3 motors in it. Service parts are cheap. The stove will last as long as dirt as long as it isn't cheap and rusts out or something.

The cost of a door gasket is trivial and the quality is the same regardless of what stove you have. Combustion and Convection blowers are generally in the $200.00 range with auger motors about the same.

Most stoves are covered under a 7 year warranty and I would expect the parts above to last at least 10 years.

NHMOM said:

I have nothing but HIGH praise to the people on this forum. I found this site by accident when I was looking for reviews on certain pellets that I was interested in using.

I know that with proper cleaning, my stove should last for years to come. I also feel that with the savings from NOT :) :) having to buy oil to heat my home, I'll come out ahead this year with the money saved.

what he said X2

A LIFETIME!, I've replaced ZERO - ZILCH - NADA - NOTHING, on now my 12th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.