Above Ground 18 ' Pool water temp hit 92 Degrees F today and 113 Deg F in the SUN !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

First time I have seen 92 Degrees F in the pool. !!!!!!!!

Before this it never went over 86 Degrees F !!

Our mercury Deck thermometer in the sun reads 113 Degrees F !!!

See pics

Attachments

• TRH PoolSC (3).jpg
    TRH PoolSC (3).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 435
  • TRH Poolsc (2).jpg
    TRH Poolsc (2).jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 435
  • DeckThermom113DegreesFsc.jpg
    DeckThermom113DegreesFsc.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 407
Same thing here. My in-laws have an in-ground 20x40 and it is too warm. Don't know the temp, but it does nothing for cooling you off.

Congratulations, you now have a huge hot tub. No global warming here, no sireee.

now is the time to jump in and relax all those body aches from splitting wood. tomorrow's high is expected to be 96 so it will be cooler tomorrow :bug:

The 350 acre lake I live on reached 82F at depth of 4 feet yesterday, and that may be the high for the year, as temps now start to cool and nights get longer. A vigorous swim at 82F leaves a person sweating when coming out of the water. Looking forward to January to chop a hole in the ice and have a refreshing swim.

If he gives us the dimensions of the pool can't we figure out how many BTUs it took to raise the water from its normal temperature to 92? Would probably be an interesting number.

We hit 89 today. When you jump in it feels like a warm bath.

My 27' hit 85° - just perfect for a long soak.

That's 17000 gallons or 142,000 lbs for the btu hounds - a whole lot of energy to warm that puppy up.

Aaron

So do the cheapy blue bubble wrap covers help? We just bought one and have it on now, I'm assuming most of the gain comes from saving the overnight and evap lose, not the 'solar'?

Czech said:
So do the cheapy blue bubble wrap covers help? We just bought one and have it on now, I'm assuming most of the gain comes from saving the overnight and evap lose, not the 'solar'?

I found that they work quite well . . . although I haven't used mine in a couple of years since it was a PITA to take on and off . . . and then it ripped along a seam.

Czech said:

The solar cover helps alot and you're right - it's all about reducing evaporation.

I find mine does much better if the pump is running during the time the pool is in full sunlight

Aaron

Aaron Pasteris said:
My 27' hit 85° - just perfect for a long soak.

That's 17000 gallons or 142,000 lbs for the btu hounds - a whole lot of energy to warm that puppy up.

Aaron

8.34 BTUs required to heat 1 gallon of water 1 degree so...

8.34 x 17,000 = 141,780 BTU

Let's say that the pool water was 70 degrees before the heatwave hit:

141,780 x 15 = 2,126,700 BTU-about 1/10 of the energy contained in a cord of oak.

Solar covers do heat the water up a bit but they are better at keeping it in on cold nights. Evaporation is not an issue as far as i know.

I have an 18 X 24 above ground and it was 96 for the last two days. I went away for a week and put on those solar rings while I was away. It was not refreshing at all, I knew I was sweating in the pool but could not see it because I was all wet. I think my pool heats faster with the cover off in direct sun, and on at night to conserve that heat. I usually only use them in the shoulder season :) ( pool shoulder season that is ) because as stated above they are a PITA to put on and off all of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.