Actual cost of "free wood"...VS pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's a long drive for wood... I assume that you're on or near the tundra???

Yes, it's not a very far drive north of Yellowknife (in the winter lol) till you hit the tree line. Not much vegetation around Yellowknife, lots of little pecker poles, definitely not worth the effort to harvest and burn.

We all resort to heading to the west or southern side of great slave lake where the trees start to almost look like trees again haha, still hate this place compared to growing up in BC where it only took 1, maybe 2 trees to put more wood in the truck than it ever should be hauling

Thus the reason buying wood locally is expensive, the closest commercial cutting is nearly 200km out

But still I can't complain, less than $100/month for heat and I get some exercise rather than spending the early winter Saturdays sitting In front of the wood stove with a bottle of whiskey

320km round trip to get a load of wood
[Edit: answer was posted already] At the risk of hijacking the thread, I gotta ask what kind of trees are there even that close Yellowknife? Also, I've spent a fair amount of time driving around the town via google streetview and I thought I saw a window air conditioning unit at the Arctic Energy Alliance building across the street from the True Value hardware. Is there really such a thing as air conditioning in Yellowknife?

Last edited:
Haha yea, kinda derailing here :p

It's pretty much all jack pine up this way, the odd birch

And yes air conditioners are the cats meow up here! We literally go from -50c to +40c, it can get pretty warm in the summer and being such a short summer even 30c sucks when your not climatized

And it gets Coooooooooooooo.........................ld there in Yellowknife. So always nice to have a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.