Acute drafting issue. Possible causes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
I let my stove die out Sunday night into Monday. When I got home from work, I sorted out coal from ash, and removed some ash from the firebox. My stove has an air inlet in the bottom front middle, near level with the opening ledge. I always try to keep that area unobstructed, and scoop the ash away. I may have pushed some into the holes, but could it be that sensitive as to block the air flow? When I went to fire up this morning, the thing wouldn't draft right even with the air completely open. Normally I have a very strong if not too strong a pull. Is it possible that it became blocked? If so I would need to shut it down again and vac it out. Or, could there be a sudden blockage in the flue? I had been burning it hot and had no problem on Sunday at all! This isn't the day to crap out on me as the temp was 2 degrees this morning. At least I'm not in Potsdam where it was -26 !!

That is most likely the boost air manifold, not the primary air supply. The main supply of air should still be via the air wash for the glass. Check the chimney cap screen for plugging. If it is gunked up it's probably time for a sweep.

Stay in the room with the stove when you do it, but start it up with the door cracked open just a hair until the draft gets started before closing it. Just don't leave it cracked without you being right there with it. When you can close the door and it pulls all of the smoke out of the firebox and the flames stay active your draft is good to go.

I have established a hot fire, but opening the air does not give it that high intensity gush of air that it normally does. Everything is running hot though. Even opening the door a crack does push as hard as normal. The cap screen is squeaky clean.

Does opening a nearby window a little improve the intensity of the fire? If not, try some different species wood from another part of the wood pile.

Does opening a nearby window a little improve the intensity of the fire? If not, try some different species wood from another part of the wood pile.
Tried it thinking there was air tightness from the snow, but that didn't change any when I tried. Not the wood type, it's air flow for whatever reason. Is it possible the flue could have a blockage even though the cage is clear?

So if you put in some construction scraps they burn lazily too? If so, check the flue.

Describe the flue pipe from stove to chimney cap in detail. Maybe there is a clue there.

So if you put in some construction scraps they burn lazily too? If so, check the flue.

Describe the flue pipe from stove to chimney cap in detail. Maybe there is a clue there.
They don't burn lazily per se, but not as brisk as they normally have. Pallet wood would burn like a mutha, but not so at the moment. The flue is is a stainless flex liner going straight up the chimney. Sealed at the top with a screened cap. This is how it looks right now.... image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.