Add on wood furnace or Wood/oil combo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2013
I am planning on buying a wood furnace very soon and I was looking for some advice. I have an existing old (mid 80's) Thermopride oil fired forced hot air furnace, along with AC. My question is, would you guys replace the entire unit with a combo or just add an "add on" unit?

What are your alternatives to oil where you are at (where are you at?), and do you use oil for anything else?
I am in Connecticut. I only use oil for the furnace. I have access to anything, such as LP, NG, pellets, etc. I burn wood now and I have pretty much unlimited access to it.

I am planning on buying a wood furnace very soon and I was looking for some advice. I have an existing old (mid 80's) Thermopride oil fired forced hot air furnace, along with AC. My question is, would you guys replace the entire unit with a combo or just add an "add on" unit?

http://www.lamppakuuma.com/
The smaller of the two furnaces would be a simple installation , the oil with its AC remaining your back up .

Reactions: lampmfg
How do you heat your hot water - and what kind of shape is your a/c unit?

I guess my main thoughts now are - I think I would keep the units separate and add on a wood unit. And depending on the rest of the situation, maybe even turf the oil all together in favour of perhaps a new NG unit, or maybe even a heat pump that would replace both your oil furnace and your a/c unit. Just make sure you consider EVERYTHING that you can to set yourself up long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.